ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Worthy Ethernet Cable  (Read 23182 times)

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Ethernet Cable--need boots
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 03:18:47 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Fri, 20 October 2006 12:51

http://www.homestead.co.uk/CategoryImages/RJSNAPm.jpg

Effective so far, yes. This looks exactly like the kind I found on the cable left behind. Hasn't failed yet but then my cable isn't a 100' long getting yanked out of multiple cable tangles pathways on gigs.

index.php/fa/6279/0/

I bet it can help cheap connectors last longer on gigs but it makes me want to see something tougher.

-Bink
Your picture doesn't seem to show the locking tabs on the strain relief that are on the ones we have. So far they have proved more durable and easy to operate than the soft hoods that come on molded assemblies. I find it very difficult to unlock many molded cables, but the snap on hoods don't have the same problem. They just fit over the slightly larger plenum cable we had to run under the floor. These are used on cable bundles that pulled around equipment all the time and have not failed yet.

Mac

David Dellifield

Re: Road Worthy Ethernet Cable
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 07:45:21 PM »

OK, but I'm going to throw out another option.  In electrical wiring their is an "AC" option where the cable is armor clad.  Thinking back to the days when you could find a pay phone and the connection between the handset and the unit was this armored cable, would not an ethernet cable clad in AC be the real answer?  Just a thought.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 08:10:27 PM »

I cannot even imagine how much weight that would add... the AC cable is to guard against vandalism, not repeated use. The nice thing about digital snaking is that, for many systems, you can just run two lines and guard against losing one easily.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Phil LaDue

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 08:20:17 PM »

Have you gotten close to frayed armor clad cable, it sucks if they're cheap.

David Dellifield

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 09:05:11 PM »

I don't think I was clear enough, my fault.  I remember the AC cable that attached the phone handset in a phone booth situation to be about 1/4".  In this situation there would be no need for a redundant cable (there's none in a 56 pair situation) and I can't think you're still at 56 pair weight.  Am I being an idiot?

David

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »

Nope, I knew exactly what you were thinking about. It would help if you've got someone running around with knives attached to their shoes, but that would be a problem with standard snaking anyway. What it won't do is help with crushing (it might even make it worse), and it will make the cable heavier and decrease how easily you can bend it.

Besides, this cable is so cheap in comparison, why not just run two?
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

David Dellifield

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »

I wasn't trying to be argumentative about running two, but rather thinking about how a touring application might only run one line much like they do now.  I had not thought about the crush factor, good call.

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 09:59:39 PM »

David Dellifield wrote on Fri, 20 October 2006 18:46

...I had not thought about the crush factor, good call.

As a survivor of Big City Living I've seen quite a few torn, cut, stretched and crushed phone handset lines of the steel armored variety. Payphones got a lot of abuse around here back before cell phones became popular; back when you could find a payphone nearly every corner.   Rolling Eyes  

If somebody really wants to wreck your cable, they will do it no matter how tough it is. Maybe armored cable is more inviting to the vandal who likes a challenge... like "Let's see if I can pop these spirals apart."

I prefer a sturdy plastic coat for digital snake.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

David Dellifield

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 10:09:51 PM »

Fair enough, just a thought, guess I haven't been through the rodeos you all have been. Smile

Jacob Springman

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 11:50:43 PM »

I have experience using Gepco portable cat-5 cables.  We purchased them directly though Gepco and they came with normal RG-45 ends with a boot already installed, just like you will find on normal grade cat-5 cables.  They will also install ethercon connectors if you want.  The cables are a little on the stiff side (due to an inner jacket and outer jacket), but lay real flat on the stage and are real easy to wind.  I am judging from the quality they will last a long time and be more reliable than normal grade cables.  Huge improvement over the cables Aviom and other brands ship with their products.
When we bought them last September, a 25 footer cost about $16 and a 50 footer cost about $25.  With the way the price of copper has been lately, these may be off.
Jacob
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.