ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 150dB SPL  (Read 13677 times)

Sverre Hestetun

150dB SPL
« on: October 18, 2006, 10:28:01 AM »

Hello.
First of all, this is not a joke. Does someone know if there exists a loudspeaker that can produce 150dB SPL (1 meter)? I have a customer that needs this soundpressure to simulate a certain type of noise for practicing emergency situations.

Thank you.

John Roberts {JR}

Re: 150dB SPL
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 11:10:10 AM »

Sverre Hestetun wrote on Wed, 18 October 2006 09:28

Hello.
First of all, this is not a joke. Does someone know if there exists a loudspeaker that can produce 150dB SPL (1 meter)? I have a customer that needs this soundpressure to simulate a certain type of noise for practicing emergency situations.

Thank you.

Consider a siren or dedicated alarm sound generator.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Brian Bolly

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:12:41 AM »

I don't know of one that can produce that kind of SPL at full bandwidth, but if you're ok with a limited bandwidth application, a Community M4 driver on a PC1542 horn can get pretty close (140 range, IIRC).

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 11:38:21 AM »

http://www.victorysiren.com/x/images/bigredwht.jpg
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 03:05:24 PM »

What is your freq range of interest and what type of coverage pattern are you needing?  What kind of size can he tolerate, is this a continous (I assume so because you mentioned noise) or peaks and what what is the crest factor of the noise involved?  How partable does it have to be?

That will help a lot, even though it will still be a very short list.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 06:12:04 PM »

Sverre,

Answering Brian and Ivan's questions would def. help a lot.  There are some speakers that might even be able to do this (or come damn close) within a somewhat broad freq. range not just one frequency.  Maybe not "full-range" at that level but some that come to mind are the Community Leviathan II, Community R6-51, Community RSH462, some EAW KF Series (i.e KF910F, KF920) etc.
These are "sky's the limit" devices, large, rightfully expensive and as far from the "average" speaker as one could imagine.

If full-range or "broad-range" isn't a concern, heck there's a good deal of horns out there ...

ScottH

Brad Weber

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 06:34:13 PM »

Not knowing the specifics of the application I will just add that in my experience special application speakers can often require a custom solution.  I have seen several government and military specs asking for a product which simply does not exist.  These applications require a custom product designed specifically to meet the spec rather than any available production model.

I believe this process is actually how some of the more outrageous production models came to fruition (along with just because they could).
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Iain_Macdonald

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 04:19:40 PM »

Sverre,

No problem. Whelen Engineering have an answer. They supplied the national warning system for Denmark. Only a few of the speakers they produce are on the website. So you need to email them and make contact. (Danish Distributor or direct) The WPS400 will give you an idea of performance. But they do a system that has 16 drivers and I remember seeing one with 32 drivers. These are all voice capable. Also very narrow dispersion 16 driver units etc. Take note of the SPL, these can destroy your hearing very quickly.

Best wishes.

Iain.
London UK

http://www.whelen.com/
http://www.whelen.com/outdoor/4000.htm

Sverre Hestetun

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 01:34:38 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Wed, 18 October 2006 14:05

What is your freq range of interest and what type of coverage pattern are you needing?  What kind of size can he tolerate, is this a continous (I assume so because you mentioned noise) or peaks and what what is the crest factor of the noise involved?  How partable does it have to be?

That will help a lot, even though it will still be a very short list.

I'm not sure about the frequency range, but the customer tells me the noise sounds like letting out pressure from an air-compressor. White (maybe pink) noise bandlimited from approx 400 - 16k Hz.

To explain a little more, the purpose of the loudspeaker(s) is to simulate a gas leakage situation in a gas plant.

When it comes to your other questions (and the first), the best would probably be to get a recording of the noise.

I think I have to do a little more research.

Thank you.
Sverre

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »

That helps a little bit, but yousay that you want to simulate a gas leakage situatuion.  Over what area?  A manufacturing plant is generally a large area, requiring very wide dispertion.  That makes it a bit harder.

What about the size limits of this "transducer"?  At least you aren't talking about low freq, that makes it a bit easier. Is it to be portable or installed?

Where is is 150db to measured?  Up close or at a distance?  How long is this noise to be produced?  

Do they have a budget? or is that still up in the air for now?

When you have a very specific need, very specific question have to be answered.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Don Boone

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 09:04:49 PM »

"To explain a little more, the purpose of the loudspeaker(s) is to simulate a gas leakage situation in a gas plant."

That's useful info in that we can nail down the crest factor to essentially zero. Unless something goes wrong and there's 174 db peak. Very Happy

Seriously if you need 150 db of the sound of gushing air for say a training facility you probably don't need too much bandwidth, just enough to point out to the trainees that speech will not work.

Don

Irving Albert Hammond Jr.

Most of the time I ask myself questions that I cant answer, so I dig deeper to find a solution only to realize that I know less than I thought I knew.

John Ward

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 12:18:34 AM »

Don't let the rappers or the car audio guys get their hands on the LRAD......they can never have enough bottom end.
"Suck It Up and Step Out. It's not the things you wish for or whine about that comes about. It's the things you passionately want in life that makes all the difference." Dr.Scott Knight

Ian Hunt

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »

The SLS LS9900 is specified at 140db, 400hz - 2k 139db above that, enough of them might get to 150db, but stand clear
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Ron Sauro

• http://www.nwaalabs.com
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 09:10:15 AM »

This is very old thread but no one mentioned a series of speakers from Renkus Heinz. The series is the CEXXX-5 speakers. The come in three dispersion patterns, CE 61-5 (60 X 10), CE 91-5(90 X 10) and CE 121-5 (120 X 10). Thesee all produce levels of about 148-150 DB from 250- 15KHz. These were designed for use in stadiums and large venues where extra control and level made long thros useful. Ray Rayburn used one speakers to cover an entire racetrack in Texas a few years ago. and I have usec them extensively in stadiums and racetracks for long throws of over 800 to 1000 ft.
Ron Sauro
NWAA Labs

John Cameron

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »

Just have them install a JBL HLA stadium rig........ 170DB@1Mindex.php/fa/16946/0/
JBL VRX / SRX / SR / Eon-g2
LSR4328P + LSR4312SP -studio
Yorkville Elite 2000EX
2-PL236
4-IT6K
Studiolive 24.4.2
Yamaha Digital
Rode / Shure / Sennheiser / Neumann / AKG

Jonathan Heimberg

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 02:42:03 PM »

Those whelen 4000's look pretty brutal - 129 dbc at 100 ft!

Oi -

A Thomas Lamb

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »

Why cant he just order a Matterhorn? Wont that do it! 2 if he needs stereo! Laughing
Thomas Lamb
A1 Orlando Production

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 05:00:39 PM »

Four of my TFR's can sustain 150dB at any frequency over 80Hz.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.