ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Module redesigned  (Read 4617 times)

Raj Sookraj

Module redesigned
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:11:49 PM »

Tom Danley wrote: As long as you keep the throat area and front / rear volumes in the neighborhood, the lab sub driver / horn alignment works.
The internal width will be larger to accommodate the Lab12's side by side.  Will this layout work?
index.php/fa/6305/0/

Jeff Robinson

• http://www.geocities.com/loudspeakerguru
Re: Module redesigned
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 01:58:59 PM »

Hi Raj

The linked photo URL isn't working  Uh Oh  so could you repost but upload the picture to the forum's server?
In the "File Attachments:" box you can browse for and upload your image file.
Don't forget to "Insert image into message body".

Thank you,

Jeff Robinson
index.php/fa/6288/0/
Hail to thee, blithe Spirit!
Bird thou never wert
That from Heaven, or near it
Pourest thy full heart
In profuse strains of unpremeditated art
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then, as I am listening now!

Raj Sookraj

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:03:35 AM »

index.php/fa/6304/0/

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 12:47:10 AM »

I'm no speaker designing expert so I'm wondering what is the effective difference between your dual side-by-side LAB horn firing flat into a parallel plywood panel vs. firing at an angled panel making it look more like a 'V' like in this redraw:

index.php/fa/6307/0/

Just curious...

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 06:11:03 AM »

Difference is that the front chamber is bigger which does affect the frequency response. Not much dough.

Tom Herr

• http://www.tandjsound.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:19:18 AM »

Are you making the box wider as well. 2-12inch drivers side by side won't fit in a 22.5 inch wide box.
Tom Herr
T&J Sound
Custom Speakers

Raj Sookraj

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 01:12:58 PM »

The box will be made wider to accommodate the two 12's side by side.  I also took off 5" from the front of the horn as seen in the figure, slightly raising the cutoff frequency. The purpose of this design is to make it easier to build.  My cousin, a carpenter and I constructed two labs in 10 hours.  Two of those hours were spent making and remaking the flare panels.  We now have 6 labs with 10 more on the way.

danfowler

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 10:02:53 PM »

How are the drivers gonna cool?

When my Labs are run hard for hours on end, the alum. access plate gets fairly warm to the touch. Maybe 20-30 degrees above room temp. My plates are 3/8" thick and really soak off the driver heat. They make a wonderful heat-sink and I think are key to getting the drivers out of thermal stress.

Matter of fact, I've only had driver failures during beta testing, but the failures were traced back to air leaks at the speaker/baffle board gaskets and insufficient torque on the access plates. I've not had thermal problems at all, just excursion/suspension tearing issues from kick drum impulses.

Now understand, I run the PISS out of these things and they're powered with 9001's.

The only thing hard to build is the module. If you seriously apply yourself they take about 5 hours each to build (4 took me 20hrs) from cutout, routing, to the assembly. I use screws to assemble them (self clamping with them)so considerable time is spent counter boring and marking out screw positions, trimming, and dry assembling. I'm anal about the module angles and want them perfect. One of my character flaws I guess. Drives my employees nuts.

I've built 8 Labs now and they each took 20 hrs. to complete, even the second four took that long. I figured with the learning curve behind me it would be a lot easier. Wrong! It's tedious work.

My approach is to cut critical panels slightly long and trim them in final assembly and dry fit stage. That is responsible for some extra time, but the scrap pile fits into a 2' x2' cardboard box per 4 subs!

Your results may vary.
I can only build about 4 a year with my schedule of shows.

Later,
Dan o;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.