ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Video over IP anybody  (Read 7498 times)

Brad Weber

Re: Video over IP anybody
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 02:04:55 PM »

Since it seems to be getting confused, video over UTP/CAT 5 (or video over fiber) and video over IP are not the same.  CAT 5 baluns/interfaces are simply an alternative cabling or signal transport method while video over IP is sending video over a network or the internet.

Video over CAT 5 is typically to one or a few locations in the same building or another nearby building, video over IP is potentially to one or many locations anywhere in the world.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

dave austin

• http://www.kionetics.com
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 11:36:40 PM »

Yes, video over CAT 5 is totally different than VIP (Video over IP) where the video gets digitally encoded and streamed out in real time, instead of transformed into another anologue format so it can be put on CAT 5.  The price of Video over IP has dropped like a rock.  Unless you're real cheap it seems like a much better way to go.

Being a VIP guy who's never messed with Video over CAT 5 I'm just curious ... don't you have to have a dedicated CAT 5 for video over CAT 5?  It seems like that technology would cause a lot of noise on an existing PC network.  VIP streams over IP with no effect on the network noise.  Very nice.  Very nice.

Brad Weber

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »

dave austin wrote on Mon, 04 December 2006 23:36

Being a VIP guy who's never messed with Video over CAT 5 I'm just curious ... don't you have to have a dedicated CAT 5 for video over CAT 5?
Pretty much, although Magenta Research, Autopatch and others offer CAT 5 routers and distribution amp type devices for these systems so it isn't necessarily point-to-point from a singel transmitter to a single receiver.  It is, however, a dedicated path and not a shared network path.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Travis Baits

Skew with Video using Cat5
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 02:09:52 PM »

If using Cat5 as alternate method of physical media, the twist rate of each pair in a Cat5 cable is slightly different , resulting skew between the 4 paths. there are devices that compensate for this ( not sure of brands) Color smearing at minumum.  

Good luck and let us know
Travis "Audio Viking" Baits

"...the present is theirs. Tomorrow, for which I work, is mine."

- Nicola Tesla, inventor, commenting on his critics
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.