ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video over IP anybody  (Read 7489 times)

Andrew Sharpe

Video over IP anybody
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:50:08 PM »

Just got a request from a client who wants to be able to have an event of some sort going on in one room....video it while broadcasting (audio and video) to another room a good ways away, where a typical cable run would not be a good idea.  So either wireless video or video over IP would work better, but everybody I know who has tried wireless video has had poor results.  Anybody know anything for over IP WITHOUT going the route of video conferencing, just a send/receive package?

Thanks!
One can only mix, as good as one hears.

Brad Weber

Re: Video over IP anybody
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »

VBrick comes to mind.  If you can run a CAT5 type cable then video over UTP (CAT5, 5e or 6) solutions might make more sense.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Andrew Sharpe

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 09:22:25 AM »

VBrick....great I'll look into it!

Thanks

Henry Cohen

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 09:05:22 PM »

Andrew Sharpe wrote on Thu, 12 October 2006 16:50

. . . So either wireless video or video over IP would work better, but everybody I know who has tried wireless video has had poor results . . .

If you can have unobstructed line of sight between antennas, there are several professional wireless video systems that will work very well. Coherent Communications and Link Research are two I can immediately recall. We inventory the Coherent Communications and have used it with great success in both point to point and point to multipoint applications.

Henry Cohen
Production Radio Rentals
Henry Cohen
Production Radio Rentals
----------------------------------
"Every new radio emitter since Marconi’s 2nd transmitter has caused interference to other systems!" - Michael Marcus, Oct '07

Andrew Sharpe

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 02:18:18 PM »

Unfortunately we do not have LOS.  Have many walls it would have to pass though, which doesn't help things one bit.

Brian K Tennyson, CTS-D

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 08:58:19 PM »

I will recommend you look at MediaPointe with the full understanding that I rep MediaPointe and am therefore treading a thin line on the forum rules. But it's a cool product made just for this. http://www.mediapointe.com

Sonic Foundry has an interesting product also.
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson, CTS-D
Visitec
www.visitec.com

Chris McDonald

• http://insec.ca
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 07:05:25 PM »

I've had some limited sucess using VideoLAN, an open source video streaming system. VLC(video lan client) also makes a great media player.

This summer past I used it to stream video from a firewire connected camcorder to PC located 200' away via 802.11b with an ok line of sight. There was a significant delay and the quality wasn't great. I belive it could of been alot better if I had time to tweak the compression and latency settings. It was working with what I had on hand as it was a last min request by the promoter. It would of worked alot better on 802.11g with more powerfull laptops to handle the compression and decompression. It was one of these weekends where we had way to few crew and too many things happening.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 06:16:40 PM »

Will this work?

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2294

It combines audio and VGA, runs it down CAT5, then splits them at the other end.

Glen Kelley

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 07:17:24 PM »

I've used Vbrick with pretty good results. What I do like is that the solution is "appliance" based, in that the encoder is a self-contained unit that hangs on the IP network.

Easy to configure. If you only have a single endpoint, you can do a point-to-point unicast very easily. If you have more than one endpoint, things get more tricky, as you now need a multicast enabled network, which may or may not be possible, and usually involves cranky IT guys who don't want to reset their routers.  

Quality is good, but dependent on bandwidth. Most modern networks should have no problem with a 4-5 Mbs stream.

For a live event, I would recommend the MPEG2 box or the WMV box. You can decode with a stand-alone decoder or a laptop at the remote end.

There is 3rd party software (free, I think?) that can synch the video presentation with a powerpoint, chat windows, etc. Haven't tried it yet. Give us a couple of months.....  

Download V-brick's Streamplayer demo and you should be able to find some streams out there to take a look at. (have to be able to receive multicast)

http://www.vbrick.com/products/streamPlayer.asp

Emil Barnabas

• http://www.barnabas.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 11:42:18 AM »

Ditto what Tim Padrick said. I use that Gefen unit all the time for remote video. It can run video down CAT5 cable up to 330 feet.

Is there CAT5 cable already run in the building? If so, meet with the building network person to see if he/she can patch your two rooms together without going through any switches or hubs.

Brad Weber

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 02:04:55 PM »

Since it seems to be getting confused, video over UTP/CAT 5 (or video over fiber) and video over IP are not the same.  CAT 5 baluns/interfaces are simply an alternative cabling or signal transport method while video over IP is sending video over a network or the internet.

Video over CAT 5 is typically to one or a few locations in the same building or another nearby building, video over IP is potentially to one or many locations anywhere in the world.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

dave austin

• http://www.kionetics.com
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 11:36:40 PM »

Yes, video over CAT 5 is totally different than VIP (Video over IP) where the video gets digitally encoded and streamed out in real time, instead of transformed into another anologue format so it can be put on CAT 5.  The price of Video over IP has dropped like a rock.  Unless you're real cheap it seems like a much better way to go.

Being a VIP guy who's never messed with Video over CAT 5 I'm just curious ... don't you have to have a dedicated CAT 5 for video over CAT 5?  It seems like that technology would cause a lot of noise on an existing PC network.  VIP streams over IP with no effect on the network noise.  Very nice.  Very nice.

Brad Weber

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »

dave austin wrote on Mon, 04 December 2006 23:36

Being a VIP guy who's never messed with Video over CAT 5 I'm just curious ... don't you have to have a dedicated CAT 5 for video over CAT 5?
Pretty much, although Magenta Research, Autopatch and others offer CAT 5 routers and distribution amp type devices for these systems so it isn't necessarily point-to-point from a singel transmitter to a single receiver.  It is, however, a dedicated path and not a shared network path.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Travis Baits

Skew with Video using Cat5
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 02:09:52 PM »

If using Cat5 as alternate method of physical media, the twist rate of each pair in a Cat5 cable is slightly different , resulting skew between the 4 paths. there are devices that compensate for this ( not sure of brands) Color smearing at minumum.  

Good luck and let us know
Travis "Audio Viking" Baits

"...the present is theirs. Tomorrow, for which I work, is mine."

- Nicola Tesla, inventor, commenting on his critics
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.