ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: lab horns? does any build them in nothern california  (Read 6761 times)

Jeff Babcock

Re: lab horns? does any build them in nothern california
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 03:54:24 PM »

I guess it depends on the application.  Most of the gigs I do don't have any content in the 35Hz range anyway, so I'm highpassing typically at 40Hz which puts less strain on the driver.  So for me, the benefit of the 35Hz bump in the Lab doesn't matter.  But depending on what you do, that 35Hz bump may be exactly what you need.

Peter is mentioning his Tuba subs by Bill F, which are fairly well respected. However keep in mind that the newer Titan models do sound different than the Tubas and are intended more for live sound applications wheras the Tubas are more for music playback.  The added bonus I feel is that the Titan seems to be an easier and cheaper build than the Tuba, while having more output in the kick drum range which is exactly what I want.  Your wants and needs may differ.

Ivan is absolutely right...- SPL charts are not the be all and end all of what is good and what is not.  Every cab has its own characteristics and "sound" which you may like or dislike.  The unfortunate thing is that the Lab and the Bill F designs are not something you can go and demo at the nearest big box music store.  It can be tricky to find somewhere to audition them.  But if you do your homework you can probably find someone near you who has them.  I would recommend this so you know what you are getting into, especially since you mentioned 8-16 boxes - that's a substantial investment.

Best wishes
Jeff

Donald Copenbarger

Re: lab horns? does any build them in nothern california
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 02:44:38 AM »

Try Bob @ Revelation Deployed Sound.  Don't know that he will, but if he did they'd be done right.  Paradise, CA.
It's not sound until it passes through the air.
Sport climbing is neither.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.