ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual reinforcement idea  (Read 2217 times)

David King

Unusual reinforcement idea
« on: October 10, 2006, 07:37:30 pm »

I've got a room to put sound in. BGM and occasional presentations or speaches. A large, long atrium about 350 ft long and about 70 feet wide an at end and 25 feet at the other. 40' ceiling. One side is all glass (of course) and they would not like it disturbed with speakers. The other side opens into three floors of open office - a huge acoustic trap.

I've considered all the usual things such as dozens of smaller near field speakers at about 10 feet up, 12 - 15 very narrow disperion ceiling speakers and various configuations of Renkus Hienz or EAW steerable arrays. They all may work to some degree but the nothing that works better is accepable to the architect.

My hare-braned idea. One hundred and seventy five 4" ceiling speakers (Maybe a Lowell Model JR410 in their CB44 box), about a foot or so apart, right down the middle of the ceiling from one end of the room to the other. We'll roll off the highest freqs that might give us some combing but if all these speakers couple together well, I hope to make one big ass line array, cylindrical radiator. They have the budget and like the idea.

Thoughts?

Brad Weber

Re: Unusual reinforcement idea
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 02:36:13 pm »

Not really a new idea, with an almost exclusively speech application the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS or the Mormons) used the same concept in many of their standard building plans back in the mid and late 80's.

You'll still get a wide horizontal pattern and while that may work at the 70' wide end, you'd probably be getting a lot of coverage on the walls at the narrow end.

From your description it sounds like you'd have a 2' speaker spacing which based on wanting a maximum 1/2 wavelength between speakers for a line array indicates it would work as a line array up to a little below 300Hz and then the speakers would start becoming separate sources.  If you used 700 speakers at 6" apart that would go up to 1130Hz.  Not at all saying that you wouldn't get sound or that it wouldn't work, just that it would behave like a true line array or cylindrical radiator only over a limited frequency range and with 35' or so to ear height being a relatively short 'throw' for any line array it might have interactions between the drivers going on in some of the critical frequencies for intelligibility.

Have you looked at perhaps using a series of packaged column speakers mounted in the horizontal plane for this?  Similar concept but perhaps easier to manage.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.