ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft MH2  (Read 32292 times)

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: Soundcraft MH2
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »

Dan Brown wrote on Thu, 15 February 2007 00:18

I would say that the M7CL-48 and MH248 are not in the same price range as the M7 basic package is $24,999 list and the MH2-48 is $17,895.

I don't know much about the specific pricing of any of the consoles.  However, if what you said is true, that most certainly DOES put them in the same price range.  The difference is about $7,000 which you would EASILY have to spend on outboard for the MH2 along with cases for said outboard.  Let's do a little example:

TC M-One $495
TC D-Two $695
Drawmer 4ch gate $1300
4x Dbx 1066 $2400

That's $4800 and we haven't even started to buy EQs.  How many channels of 31 band EQ does the M7 have?

Throw in two BSS Opals and you are up to $7000.

[Note: these are all list since console prices are list]

The price of outboard is really going to depend on your requirements.  What I've listed might work for some situations, others may require much more, and then the M7 starts to maybe become a better value.

As I see it, they are in the same ballpark.

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 09:27:58 AM »

Well,

I got to take my first spin on the MH2.  Up at the State Theater we had the Bob Mintzer Big Band on President's Day.  Bob Minzter is a jazz saxophonist who arranges and composes songs with a modern big band sound.  

The band was a 16 piece and consisted of a pretty standard sax/brass section (2 alto sax, 2 tenor, bari, 3 trombone, 1 bass trombone, 4 trumpets), upright Bass, Piano, and a full kit.

At 28 channels the MH2 made quick work of this.  I found the console easy to get around on, though the master section is a bit crammed.  The printed VCA assign and mute group instructions were a help.  It was my first time mixing on a VCA desk (though, I had used programmable mute groups before on theater type consoles.  I was able to quickly set up my VCA groups and mute groups with no problems.  The instructions are clear and to the point.

I love the feel of the console.  The aux send knobs are a little on the small side, but given the feature set packed in to that size of space, I can't really complain.  As Jim mentioned it is built well.  Seemingly much better so than the GB8.

One complaint about color schemes.  The top of the EQ and aux knobs are one color, and the hash indicating where the knob is pointing is somewhat small.  The GB8 had a grey/white marker where knob was pointed.  That helped visibility a ton!  I wish the MH2 knobs were as visible.  

Here's something else that is interesting.  The solo buttons illuminate a blue LED when they are on.  I haven't worked on any high dollar desks, but that is a first for me.  Blue.  And I really really like it.  It stands out so well, I never forget to turn off the solo when I'm done.  So many times I go to solo something else and I hear two things in my cans and I'm wondering what's going on.  Only to discover, I had left another channel soloed.  The blue master Solo LED really calls attention to that.

How did it sound?  Pretty wonderful actually.  This console worked very well with the program material and I had what seemed like gobs of headroom in the mic preamps.  Even the most delicate, low volume, and expressive solos were not lost in the noise floor of a very quiet theater.

I really enjoyed myself mixing on this desk and would do so in a heartbeat in the future.  And if you are a VCA beginner, have no fear, the MH2 is here.

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Jason Ellis

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 10:08:58 PM »

To tighten up the M7cl-48 numbers a bit....my church picked one up with meter bridge and lights for just over $18,000...so the spread is pretty tight; after outboard and weight comparisons you can guess why I recmmended the M7

Nick Aghababian

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 12:15:24 AM »

Haha, thats pretty ballsy of someone to put their beer right on the VCA's!

edit:
http://www.campuspa.com/images/mh2/index-Pages/Image13.html

Matthew Moser

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »

I was personally really happy using the MH2 main stage FOH at Penn state Movin' on 2007. Soundcraft always seems to make me happy, to bad their out of the normal high schoolers budget. The VCA was deffinatly a nice feature and only took a little time to learn. (and with some gaff tape and a silver sharpie, the VCA instruction slate becomes a great cup holder for coffee or red bull). I was impressed, could have a meter bridge though...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.