ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Camco Vortex Amplifiers  (Read 96322 times)

Simon Tucker

• http://www.matrixproductions.co.uk
Re: Camco Vortex Amplifiers
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2006, 07:49:36 AM »

Lester Moran wrote on Sun, 03 December 2006 17:59

I do this festival every spring where it's common to see fluctuations from 109v to 127v all the way out at house.  I've worried about my omnidrive (no problem), but fretting over the power amps in such a situation is not something I'm willing to deal with.

I wouldnt worry too much about power problems and Camco Vortex 6's .. I did an event the other day where a generator was provided which wasnt really man enough for the job, but we had to use it anyway.  It was a case of every kick hit was knocking the voltage down.

It appeared that the rig had less headroom than it normally would with a stout AC supply, but the Vortex's never missed a beat all night.

Come to think of it, I have used several different generators in the past, some excellent, some not so great .. I have had FX units power down due to low voltage, but the Vortex's have never let me down.

Perhaps I have just tempted fate ....  Rolling Eyes

Simon

CHANCE PATAKI

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2006, 12:44:14 PM »

Just curious, but is that "Camco" the same as "Camco drums" out of Chicago?
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2006, 12:59:31 PM »

No.  Camco amplifiers are from Germany.

You need to go to the User Control Panel and change you "alias" to include your first and last names, or the moderators will delete your posts.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

CHANCE PATAKI

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2006, 01:06:44 PM »

Oh so thats where that PM came from. I have well over 1000 posts on PSW's forums, I've always had my name posted ( CHANCE PATAKI ) I am confused WHERE exactly am I supposed to have my name (where it is presently missing)
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net

Bob Leonard

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2006, 01:07:32 PM »

Jens Droessler wrote on Sat, 18 November 2006 11:00

Of course an amp doesn't NEED to do full cycle for a long time with typical music. I use amplifiers not doing full cycle every day without problems in most cases. But IMO it is not wrong building the amp for doing it, making it able to draw 100A from a 110V line. IMO most manufacturers won't do this, not because they couldn't do it, but because it is much cheaper to build them that way.

Of course no amp in the class of 2x2000@4 ohms will do 24x7 full duty, but the ones I was talking of will do it for quite a while.

We do every kind of event, and sometimes, when the artists work with special effects or there's drum'n'bass music, amps lie the PowerSoft DigAms will regulate their output down. I had that several times, so in this case it IS a serious limitation...

100A from a 115V line? Where's the event, the Mercedes factory.

How about this. I would really like to hear what Bennett and the boy's have to say about these amplifiers. I for one respect their opinions. The Road Test is for this amp, so I would like to read about the pro's and con's for this amp. I don't care about what's going on with friends in Germany, mythical condensation, mis informed and inaccurate engineering concepts, perceived notions or comparisons to other manufactures or about arc welders turned audio amp (Audio Welders?.

If you need to make comparisons then start another thread. If you need to bash, piss and moan, start another thread. If your interested in what the REVIEWERS have to say, stay tuned. Want to road test another amp? Send it from Germany postage paid to these guy's who are taking their time to inform us, they'll use it, review it, and let you know how they feel about it. This is a REVIEW NOT A COMPARISON. If the review is favorable I'll put this amp on my list and make my own comparisons, perform my own listening tests and then decide.

Bennett, guy's, please continue to evaluate this amp and report back with your findings. I appreciate the effort and look forward to your next review / Road Test. Thank you! I'm done.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Headline at the top of the page
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2006, 02:51:05 PM »

Here is a quote of the headline from the top of the page:

"Important Notice: Full Names are required to post in these forums; please put your full name in the alias field in your profile."

Mac

Doug Fowler

Name
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2006, 03:15:24 PM »

It's in User Control Panel.  Put your full name in the alias field and that should do it.

thanks

-doug, LAB moderator
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Jens Droessler

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2006, 09:08:42 PM »

@ Bob Leonard:
Quote:

100A from a 115V line? Where's the event, the Mercedes factory.

We do events there, yes.

Quote:

How about this. I would really like to hear what Bennett and the boy's have to say about these amplifiers. I for one respect their opinions. The Road Test is for this amp, so I would like to read about the pro's and con's for this amp.

Firstly, I'm not stopping them on posting their experience, do I?
Secondly, YOU obviously DON'T want to hear about the cons...

Quote:

I don't care about what's going on with friends in Germany, mythical condensation, mis informed and inaccurate engineering concepts, perceived notions or comparisons to other manufactures or about arc welders turned audio amp (Audio Welders?.

And I don't care what crap you buy because someone said it is good (not specifically the Camco amp) while not knowing what 'standard' was applied. It's your problem if you buy without an accurate comparison. And that is all I say, I tell people WILLING TO BUY an amp in this class to take enough time to directly COMPARE before they set their mind. I didn't tell anyone of the road testers to make a comparison here.
Furthermore, if you think an amp is bad or worse than another because it CAN draw AND output this kind of current, it is you who has misinformed and inaccurate engineering concepts!

By the way, those reviews are mostly about 'perceived notions'.

I told the true story about the defective Camcos because people DON'T put the ITechs for example on their list just because some people here say that they get broken (so they did not even dare to get a sample). It was a direct reply to RYAN.

And if you like to refer to scientific facts as 'mythical', you're welcome, you're entitled to it. I won't make the effort to change your mind.

Quote:

If you need to make comparisons then start another thread. If you need to bash, piss and moan, start another thread. If your interested in what the REVIEWERS have to say, stay tuned.

I don't want to have a comparison HERE, and I don't bash here either. Why is it 'bashing' if I tell people about drawbacks of a product? And why the heck should I MOAN if other people buy products I wouldn't buy? That's their problem. If they do, so be it. But I think I have the right to tell people what the problems are. And if the 'road testers' know those problems (by reading about them here) they possibly can validate them. Wouldn't that be a benefit to all?
Quote:

Want to road test another amp? Send it from Germany postage paid to these guy's who are taking their time to inform us, they'll use it, review it, and let you know how they feel about it. This is a REVIEW NOT A COMPARISON.

I don't have products to be 'road tested'. And I don't BASH products because I want to push other products, I bash (by your definiton) products because they deserve it. I don't make up stuff.
So tell me, how can there be a review about the performance of an amp completely without comparison? By what standard does this amp perform 'good' or 'bad'? And where is it stated that a review here can't contain lines like 'I compared it to my Crest CA18 and it blew it away'?

Quote:

Bennett, guy's, please continue to evaluate this amp and report back with your findings. I appreciate the effort and look forward to your next review / Road Test. Thank you! I'm done.

Again, I never said, never intended and never want them to stop their test. Why should I? What's the worst thing that could happen? That you'll have to scroll down some pages before you can read their review?
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2006, 10:41:28 PM »

I'll post a little reply here....

If an entire rack of amplifiers goes out but none of the other sensitive electronic items go out and someone says that it was from "Condensation"  that is such B.S.!!!  It is either user OR installer error OR someone spiller a liquid in there, there is no other reason, period. Having a river behind a venue wil not cause a failure, ever!  I work in 110' weather with humidity and the condensation has never caused an issue with mine!

The Camcos work great off of generators....I ran off of one yesterday.  In fact, I run off of generators more often than not!

Camcos are efficient with regards to A.C. current draw.  When I was testing one BEFORE choosing to buy them I ran my subs, one per channel until the clip light just barely flashed.  I measured only 8 amps!  And to top it off they had sound great in low frequencies TOO!  

Last night, running off of a generator we provided recorded music and announcements for a croud of about 5000 people.  It was not a loud event, we were typically running with about 30+db of headroom.  I was running four tops and four subs.  Current draw was less than 20 amps total for four Camco Vortex 6s and four TCS TA2400s (bridged for subs) and a couple other small items, computer, monitor, etc.

We also provided the power for five Jump Houses ans six vendor booths.  They pulled considerably more current than we did!

I currently use four Camco Vortex 6s to run my Highs, Mids and Lows.  As soon as I buy a couple more I will run my subs off of them too!

I for one am VERY happy with the performance of the Camcos.  I personally tested several amps and listened to rigs closely with others.  I also did research here and other places with regards to failures before deciding what to buy.  My company is too small to be able to risk amps with potentially high failure rates such as I-Tech or Xti amps.  A friend of mine that is a manager at a big box store has had every single Xti amp that they have sold returned!  We don't want to carry heavy amp racks anymore so I am trying to eventually get completely away from bridging amps.  Soon I will no longer have to bridge any amps to get the power I need.  Then to top it all off, the Camcos have the very handy parallel mono mode that really makes these amps work great for my applications.

Of course everyone should do their own listening tests and research to make sure that the amps they purchase are the right ones for them.  I did and the Camcos are right for me no matter how much Jens tries to convince everyone that they aren't.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2006, 01:43:56 AM »

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS wrote on Mon, 11 December 2006 03:41

If an entire rack of amplifiers goes out but none of the other sensitive electronic items go out and someone says that it was from "Condensation"  that is such B.S.!!!  It is either user OR installer error OR someone spiller a liquid in there, there is no other reason, period. Having a river behind a venue wil not cause a failure, ever!  I work in 110' weather with humidity and the condensation has never caused an issue with mine! <snip>

Of course everyone should do their own listening tests and research to make sure that the amps they purchase are the right ones for them.  I did and the Camcos are right for me no matter how much Jens tries to convince everyone that they aren't.

I've seen a number of shows with Camco amps rocking out in the pouring rain. You're not going to get much wetter than that unless you start feeding your amplifiers beer. When the filters on the front of the amps are soaking wet, you would figure that the insides are pretty wet right? Something to consider is that the Camco's run pretty hot (not excessively though) and any moisture inside is going to quickly get converted into vapor and get pulled out with the escaping air.

And considering I recently heard a story of a user with a 12 year old Camco amp that was stored in a barn and filled with straw sending it back to Camco for repair and getting a new equivalent replacement for free, I have my doubts that Camco is having QC issues with the Vortex line. If they were spending money out the ass repairing their new line, they wouldn't be going the extra mile to take care of customers who abused a 12 year old amp.

That being said, I'm not hearing Jens trying to convince anyone of anything, just stating his experiences with the Vortex line, which doesn't seem to be in line with most of the other users of this amp, including myself. And I'm seeing a bunch of people jumping down his throat for doing so, which I think is a little unfair. Jens is obviously a very opinionated person, which I don't think is a bad thing and I appreciate his views being posted here. But interested parties should note that he's pretty much the only one with this opinion posting here.

I'll be doing a little sub shootout next month between the FP 13000, Powersoft K10, and the Vortex 6. I'll probably bring along a Crest 9001 for good measure as well, and I will be posting the results of this shootout here on the LAB. We'll be testing with both horn-loaded and front-loaded subs.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.