ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the LAB sub enclosure work with an SDL BT7 driver?  (Read 4322 times)

Peter Clausen

Will the LAB sub enclosure work with an SDL BT7 driver?
« on: September 24, 2006, 08:31:25 PM »

Greetings all!

I managed to score a SDL Bass Tech 7 driver complete with control panel.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/servodrive.jpg

I'm now on a quest to locate a cabinet to mate with this driver.  Are there used BT7 enclosures around with blown drivers, or do I need to look into building a cabinet myself?

If building a cabinet myself, can the LAB sub plans be adopted to work with the 15" drivers of the BT7?

Thanks a bunch!

Peter

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Re: Will the LAB sub enclosure work with an SDL BT7 driver?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:10:15 AM »

Lab subs have a totally different method of accessing the subs.

Personally I'm more interested in how difficult it would be to modify the BT7 module to accommodate Lab 12 Drivers.

It would be a fairly advanced woodworking project to recreate the appropriate enclosure for that module.   Labs are very close to the same dimensions.  I'm not sure if the Flair transitions are the same.  If they have about the same throat area maybe possible you could do it if you feel like doing a little cat work and redesigning the thing. to fit the BT7 Module.

I do love my BT7's though I just did a little outdoor shindig with them this evening!

Let me know what you find out.

index.php/fa/5945/0/

Antone-

Peter Clausen

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:35:14 AM »

Thanks Antone.

This sub project would likely end up being a permanent residential installation.  One thought I had was to "unfold" the horn.  It would make for a much larger enclosure, but would probably be a lot easier to put together.

I understand the specs to be as follows for the BT7 enclosure:

27Hz Hyperpolic
Flare T = .55
Horn Lenght 10.6 feet
Horn Throat Compression Ratio: 3.4 to 1

I'm not sure that I have the skills to built a new folded horn enclosure from scratch (LAB sub or BT7), but I could probably manage to built a 10.6 foot long straight horn!

My main hope would be to locate an empty BT7 cabinet that someone had discarded, but the chances are probably pretty slim.  I'm in the DC area in case anyone knows of one of these enclosures mothballing somewhere. Smile

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 12:15:15 PM »

Some people are selling them off for cheaper than they should.

I bought 4 for 500$ a piece from sound xxxxx  forgot the name.

Just do a web search.

I'm not sure what the state of Servo Drive now I hear its a greatly reduced operation.  But they can still get replacement parts.  I think.  Its not always easy to get ahold of them anymore.

Perhaps they are willing to sell an empty cab?

The straight horn may not mask some of the mechanical noise like the Folded horn (The BT7 has a piece of felt on the first bend).

Also you need sealed chambers for the Back side of the drivers (I do not know the volume) and venting for the motor.  So you would need a box for the module that had vents for the motor and fan faces.  You can see the vent/power pipes on the little jpg I posted.

Have you tried powering up that module yet.  You should probably replace that old connector with a neutrik or something a little more standard.

Antone-

Peter Clausen

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 04:33:51 PM »

I think it was SoundPro.com in TX that you picked them up from.  Wow, $500 each.  That's about what I paid just for the driver itself.  I called them just now and they are unfortunately long gone.

Yes, I did power up my unit and it works just fine.  It took a minute or so before it really got going.  Guess it had been sitting for a while prior to me picking it up.

Anyway, I'll keep digging around the web for an enclosure.  Heck, if I can get a complete used unit for $500, I might just do that instead.

I wonder why they weren't more popular given what they are capable of?

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 07:36:05 PM »

They have been quite popular in theme parks, and Major Tours.

The cost of the motor system is a little more than some people want to pay for.  The bare module can run for 1800$ plus new.  They Retail for about 4000$+

The one thing that depresses me about my Servodrives is that they are simply too large for many small bar gigs.  My BS-212's do pretty good for LF extension in smaller venues.  They Take as much power as 4 BT7's though with less SPL output but lower extension.

Antone-
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.