ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Community M-12 Wedges  (Read 16101 times)

John Chiara

Community M-12 Wedges
« on: September 23, 2006, 03:04:04 AM »

Well, I used the M-12 for 3 acts this week.. running passive off 1 channel of a QSC PLX 3402..as well as one for a cue wedge for 2 nights. My other wedges are "home made" sealed boxs with a B+C 12"x2" coax..biamped. My DSP's are the QSC dsp-3's which are basically a PITA because I don't have the original files so I can't even tell what processing is running.
In every situation where I replaced my wedge with an M-12 the reaction was the same..everyone thought the M-12 sounded great and was giving them what they needed to hear their vocals over the music. A quick review of the mixes 31 bands showed the M-12 curve MUCH less hacked for feedback than my setup. So the M-12's sounded good with less EQ and also fedback less easily with less EQ. Tonight, a guitarist who was on IEM's removed them for a dual band jam, and said he thought the M-12 sounded great. The low profile and rugged construction is a plus and the fact that you can stand on these puppies with no fear.. as I did when I had to trace a faulty mic line during the show...makes them great along the front of a stage. The construction also makes them practically immovable when kicked. The horn design lets you get right on top of the wedge and still hear the horn clearly..good for when space is tight on a shallow stage. All good things for my tastes.

Now the beef...the cable setup for the NL2/NL4 connectors is a deal breaker in almost every situation. The only way I could use these is if they never got moved or unplugged. Details....

1. You have to flip the monitor over to get at the jacks..and I found no easy way..with one person..to do this balancing act easily.
2. When you get the thing turned over enough to get at the jacks, the next hurdle is getting the plug at an angle where you can actually insert it into the cabinet's jack..and the shallow angle of the jack plate make this..well..let's say I was using vocabulary usually not directed at speakers. With an NL4 plug and cable I had a VERY hard time getting the cable at an angle that would insert.
3. When I got the cable connected, I proceeded to route the cable through the onboard management system and again found myself uttering "flowery" phrases..what the f*#@!!!! It was bringing up feelings akin to the the ones I get when trying to mount Sennheiser 504's..with the old clips..on a rim mounted tom..which I also did last night..and said to myself..did the designer EVER try to actually do this operation with an actual plug and a wire that has no mind to bend to fit the countours of this very small cabinet? On the bright side if you get the plugs connected and go straight out the back of the wedge through one of 3 little cable "arches" it worked OK..but even then it was limiting. Wiring 2 of these was the most time consuming part of the whole setup.

Bottom line..

The M-12 worked well...looks great..is stable sonically and physically..well constructed...and has the cabling setup from hell.
When I get new wedges..they will be Microwedges..which I think have all the benefits of the M-12 and less compromises.
That's my impression..I will soon be passing them on to another for a fresh viewpoint. Hope I was helpful.
John
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: Community M-12 Wedges
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 05:25:27 PM »

John Chiara wrote on Sat, 23 September 2006 03:04

running passive off 1 channel of a QSC PLX 3402

What about that Vortex amp I left you?
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Rob Spence

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 05:40:43 PM »

Probably keeping the amp  Laughing
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Dave Howden

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 10:37:49 AM »

John,
Thank you for your observations.

When we designed the M12 we were really going for the lowest profile, cleanest look possible which led us to the cabling system, connector location and the rubber handle.

We believe the M12 is very well suited in situations that do not require regular connecting and disconnecting like the touring word does, i.e. permanent installs, corporate AV, television production etc. The look is more important here.

We are open to suggestions for making it more of a touring wedge that is easier to use for 8 hours at a time then back in the case for the next show.

There are some limitations when working in fiberglass with regard to the shapes and pockets that can be achieved.

Handles could be fitted into the sides and the input scheme could be revised at the expense of it's "look" now.

Suggestions?

Dave Howden

Dave Howden
Director of Technical Services
Community Loudspeakers

Rob Spence

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:37:55 AM »

Well, for one, the cable channels and little clips add cost but not much value for "non-installed" use.
I was the one who attempted to wire it up first at Wedgefest and after the guys stopped laughing at me trying to balance it on it's nose to hook it up and failing miserably, one came over to hold it  Smile  We then figured out that turning it turtle was the only way. Even then, it was a real pain to get the speakon connector aligned. I wouldn't want to do this on a dark stage.

Suggestion? Make the connector pocket a but deeper and wider so a normal male hand can fit with fingers around the connector.

I liked the look and sound but the connections were impossible.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Chris Davis

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »

For a short term solution, one could just build a short Speakon plug-to-plug tail which always stays connected.  Then use a barrel coupler to connect to your regular cable.

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 12:37:41 AM »

I went to the Delaware Symphony orchestra tonight and they had a guest guitar quartet. They were using 2 Community m-12 wedges. I got a chance to talk to the tech during the intermission and asked him if he hated how difficult it was to deal with the plugs on them. He responded with an exasperated Yes! He also said that they were "unweildy" which I can see since they look like a big blob with minimal handles. They had them set up on little dollys so they could be rolled on and off stage easier. Funny thing was he had 2 daisy chained together and he kept them connected as he rolled them off stage. Guess it was too much trouble to undo them!  

On a good note however, he said that they were new and this was their second gig with them and he said they sounded great.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

John Chiara

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 11:41:57 PM »

Tom Manchester wrote on Sat, 30 September 2006 00:37

I went to the Delaware Symphony orchestra tonight and they had a guest guitar quartet. They were using 2 Community m-12 wedges. I got a chance to talk to the tech during the intermission and asked him if he hated how difficult it was to deal with the plugs on them. He responded with an exasperated Yes! He also said that they were "unweildy" which I can see since they look like a big blob with minimal handles. They had them set up on little dollys so they could be rolled on and off stage easier. Funny thing was he had 2 daisy chained together and he kept them connected as he rolled them off stage. Guess it was too much trouble to undo them!  

On a good note however, he said that they were new and this was their second gig with them and he said they sounded great.

Yeah, I gotta chime in again. I have used them a bunch of more times and everyone is really happy with the sound with minimal EQ.
I could actually leave them plugged in..which I have and they are solid as a rock for the performer..pretty hard to budge one with your foot. I found the easiest thing to do when cabling is to just flip them on their back like a turtle.

"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Joe Larsen

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 08:49:30 PM »

Answered my own question, sorry.

Joe
Longwave Audiovisual Productions
Pittsbugh, PA
AV System Design, Installation, and Service
www.longwaveav.com

Josh Evans

• http://www.youtube.com/jevans111
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 01:12:52 AM »

There great wedges, but id run them bi-amped.... Get settings from Dave..
Joshua Evans

Outlinearrays.com
"Sound is what happens when air gets pushed"
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.