ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The inventory control question again...An idea..  (Read 41297 times)

Rich Mullen

• http://www.edgeaudioservices.com
Re: The inventory control question again...An idea..
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 11:11:07 AM »

Geri,

We are already pretty far down that road. We have an access/sql based system that does most of what you mentioned. Initially we developed it as a stepping stone to get our operations into line with what a 'off-the-shelf' product would demand. After all this time we aren't even sure if we'll changed anytime soon, even though we've grown substantially. I have played project manager during development and a programmer that works for my wife did the actual coding. In my previous life in the real world I was a retail accountant focusing on inventory control (musician part-time), that experience has been helpful. Funny how life goes.

It has been in full use for 6 years now. We have done a number of updates and revisions to fine tune the system. As of now we are very happy with it.  I have demoed Hiretrack and like it, but it's too complicated for what we want.  We have discussed the possibility of marketing this as a product..but there are hurdles. However if you're interested in looking at it...contact me. Don't PM as I don't really check that.

877-645-3343 x201
rich@edgeaudioservices.com
EDGE Man

Shaun Wexler (MacFOH)

• http://www.macfoh.com
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 01:13:30 PM »

Mark Meagher wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 07:21

What Shaun has sounds very interesting. Maybe he could give us a little insight in to the cross-platform capabilities of his application.

Maybe somebody could volunteer a bit of space on their website so we could have a place to add input concerning what we would like to see in this package, and maybe get a feature set defined and start to take shape with this thing.

There is already a publicly-editable Wiki for MacFOH online, and you are all welcome to add your ideas to the Database wishlist.

http://wiki.macfoh.com/User_Wishlist

Shaun Wexler
MacFOH
http://www.macfoh.com

David Buckley

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 03:07:54 PM »

I know you've look at at the heavy hitters, but a seach on Tucows found Crystal Clear Hire which from reading the docs may be enough for what you want...?  The product history shows that they do add features on user requests, so if there are insurmountables with it then perhaps they could be fixed?  Price is in the "few hundred dollars" ballpark.

Disclaimer: No affiliation whatsoever with this company.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »

I would reject out of hand, any application that requires Micro$oft's .NET.  Period.  NO discussion.

Thank you, please drive thru...

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Jonathan Woytek

• http://www.dryrose.com
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 09:55:02 PM »

Well, it seems that I'm no longer needed here, so I'm going back into my little cave now.  Smile  I'll be interested to see what Shaun can put together, and here's hoping that it might eventually run on Windows, too (not personally a windows fan, but those are the machines I have by necessity right now).

jonathan
Jonathan Woytek
Dryrose Productions

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2006, 10:57:44 PM »

Jonathan Woytek wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 20:55

Well, it seems that I'm no longer needed here, so I'm going back into my little cave now.  Smile  I'll be interested to see what Shaun can put together, and here's hoping that it might eventually run on Windows, too (not personally a windows fan, but those are the machines I have by necessity right now).

jonathan

The hell you say. You're certainly needed on this project. I seriously doubt that Shaun's efforts will ever be ported to Windows and while I've always wanted to explore the Mac world, the Windoze world serves my needs nicely enough and it will be a while before I have funds to use on a Mac notebook.

I think it's safe to say that the interest is here, but we haven't gotten to the point of making the wish list, except for my meandering desires. Plus I see where some ideas of what platform to base it on (java, Filemaker, or a FMP Runtime program, etc.). I still maintain, keep it simple, make accounting optional, if at all. I'm not quite sure where to take it from here.

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Mark Meagher

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2006, 11:28:21 PM »

Jonathan Woytek wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 21:55

Well, it seems that I'm no longer needed here, so I'm going back into my little cave now.  Smile

Hang in there with us Jonathan. Rolling Eyes

I checked out Shaun's wiki for MacFOH and it looks very much like what we are talking about (the feature set). I don't know if it will ever be ported or available as browser based or not. Based on the experience listed in one of Shaun's earlier posts he is certainly more than capable of tying it all together to make it work. Unfortunately I am tied to the Bill Gate$ box for too many other apps to just jump ship in the middle. Like many others, I need to look for something to happen in the Windows direction.

Jonathan mentioned in an earlier post that he would start a wiki somewhere for this project. Maybe that's the next step?

I have a mountain of notes and fantasy sheets that I have compiled while thinking about my needs over the last year or so. I will decipher those and post them in the next couple of days to also include some of the other info that has surfaced here wrt Geri-O's posts.
Life isn't a destination, it's a trip. Just keep your hands and feet inside the ride.

Chris Davis

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2006, 02:50:50 AM »

I see this as a potential Study Hall topic, if not a development forum.  At least so the potential user and programmers can make sense of it all.

It seems to me as if some of the necessary programs might already exist.  So one challenge would be to track down and objectively test all qualifying existing software and keep records on programs versus feature sets which could be cross-referenced by any visitor.  A spreadsheet of sorts with "ken's links" to third party websites.  

With so many people going in different directions, it might be difficult for developers to realize what other peoples demands are.  As a developer, I know that my own thoughts and preferences cloud my programming to some extent.  Part of the task is being aware of the demand out there.  That is why I think a comment page would also help out.  Something to effectively gather data on what it is people are asking for.  That would be a benefit to any developer with functional descriptions and to model/build/refine their programs.

New programmers/programs would be nice.  Existing programs would fit the bill in certain cases.  I just have a bit of a problem envisioning a "one size fits all" solution in the grand scheme of things.  Too often an inadequate feature set or bloatware happens.   Embarassed

Robert Pugh

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2006, 07:29:38 AM »

Hi all,

I've been watching this thread with much interest and am glad to see many good ideas being listed as to what they require from an application such as this.

Please feel free to get in touch with me at contact@crystal-clear-designs.com if you wish to discuss the possibility of adding new features to Crystal Clear Hire which are not currently available.

Just as a side-note, Crystal Clear Hire doesn't require .NET in order to run. It does require Windows however - and Microsoft Word (this lets users customise order/invoice documents that the application produces).

Kind Regards,
Robert Pugh
http://www.crystal-clear-designs.com

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2006, 10:56:13 AM »

We are very interested in helping to develop a web-driven SR provider application with CRM (Customer Relationship Management) functionality.  I haven't started any development but have been researching a Content Management System named Drupal that could be a good basis for such an online system.

I would opt for an open source modular development system with key developers getting paid for support contracts and/or to develop custom client specific features.  This way everyone could contribute and benefit from the project while keeping the cost of entry very low.  Enterprising individuals could also provide application hosting/support so all that end users would have to do is login to a webpage.  An open source development model would also help to increase the available pool of developers and speed development by leveraging other projects (like Drupal - see Drupal.org).

I agree the first step is to iron out the required base line features and start to research development options.  My background is in Computer Engineering, Web development, Linux administration, and SAP business software.

Jeff

Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2006, 10:56:13 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.