ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The inventory control question again...An idea..  (Read 41304 times)

Geri O'Neil

Re: The inventory control question again...An idea..
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 07:48:02 PM »

Me personally, I have no idea how a price would be calculated or what it would be worth. I think somewhere around a few hundred dollars would be a place to start. Too much? Too little? How about some ideas?

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 07:57:47 PM »

Geri O wrote on Wed, 20 September 2006 19:45

I'm really interested to see what Shaun is coming up with.

So are a lot of us.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Charles Johnson

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 08:37:31 PM »

Geri,

Disclaimer: I haven't read all of the posts in the thread, so this may have already been mentioned.

I've run into pretty much the problem that you're describing (haven't had the repair tracking problem, *knocking on wood*), and have written pretty much exactly what you're wanting (I think) in a web-based program, written in Perl. Currently, due to a bug that appeared in it (and that I've yet to have the time to track down), I'm back to the Excel spreadsheet and pencil and paper.

Let me shift things around on my web server, and then, while you might not be able to book shows (small bug, eh?), you can see what all it can do. I'll add to this thread once it's where you can access it.

FWIW and HTH,

Charles Johnson

Shaun Wexler (MacFOH)

• http://www.macfoh.com
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »

Much of what has been requested in this thread and elsewhere on the LAB has been planned and/or implemented already in MacFOH... Sebastiaan Meijer is another developer in the project who has been working on the database schema with me, along with a few others. I'm working with the developers of the Valentina database, and have full access to their source code, and have written a version of it for MacFOH, called "VX", so I can implement all of my custom tuning techniques, essentially rewriting their kernel by the time I'm done, but in essence it has allowed me to develop my own database layer and engine which functions with the existing networked client/server system in MacFOH and MacFOH Remote.  

Without going into endless detail (and yes, I could easily geek out about it), I recommend that those interested compile their wish-list of realizable database features and email them to me.  Essentially, MacFOH connects to a shared touring database [online] which stores all kinds of info for venues, gear, etc, and it gets synced to users computers so they have a copy of it locally for offline access, and any updates and changes are made when they have a net connection.  A secure user data backup service will be offered in the future, which will operate transparently via the same mechanism, and there is also a standalone MacFOH Server app which companies can operate to host their own private data, in-house and/or online, make hard-copy backups, etc.  

FWIW, in a former life, I designed and implemented the business management systems for two heavy-highway construction companies, and was also the Controller and VP of both corporations.  I wrote a double-entry accounting system in FileMaker Pro, and programmed all the other systems in Excel, scripts, tools, etc.  The accounting system managed all of our heavy equipment, trucks, scheduling, jobs, employees, union wage matrices, contracts, bidding, nearly everything.  I also designed and built an asphalt batch plant process control system on Mac, with NiDAQ SCXI interfaces to the HV controls, real heavy-duty "show-control"... mission-critical interlocking, controlling 120 million BTU burners, flame eyes, pneumatics, motors, VFD's, load cells, thermocouples, etc.  So as far as experience, I do have some, but suggestions and help are more than welcome.

Wink
Shaun Wexler
MacFOH
http://www.macfoh.com

Jack Arnott

• http://assistanceaudio.com
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 10:05:45 PM »

Geri O wrote on Wed, 20 September 2006 17:45

Another idea is that I see two sets of needs appearing here...One for the owner-operator kind of guy where he's the boss, pencil-pusher, gear-loader, and truck driver all in one. The other is the guy like me...doing everything EXCEPT booking shows and signing checks (more details that I want no part of... Twisted Evil )
Geri O

Hello Geri,
I think that there needs to be more than two scenarios. The tendency is to think in terms of what we each want. To make it universal each of our suggestions will have to be presented, and then the end users would use the portions that apply to them. It seems to me that if this were written/implemented right that it would make it easier for anyone to wear any hat. IE, office help could do more bidding, boss could see what you have going to what show, you could even have it on line so clients could check your availability.
Like the truck driver. If that is his only hat, then that is the only portion that would show up for him.
Pink tends to have lots of vehicles, and a one system/one vehicle type of operation.
I have only two vehicles, and on some days have multiple shows per vehicle. I have mapped this out in excel, but only on schedule for vehicles and labor, not inventory.  

Oh, the wheels are turning.

Regards, Jack
The Buffalo's already dead,
What was going through your head?
Why did you choose the color Re-ed?
Joss Whedon

www.assistanceaudio.com

Rob Spence

Re: The database idea subthread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 11:15:54 PM »

pardon if this is already mentioned (I promiss to finish reading the thread  Twisted Evil  )

For Bookings, some way to indicate that rental period vs the period that the equipment is unavailable. For example: I rented a pair of subs last week. The rental was for saturday but I picked them up Friday and returned them Monday. So, one day of revenue but they were unavalable to rent for 4 days.

I had used a program named "ResSched" for several years. It was written as a scheduler for A/V companies and it did an ok job on the calendar but didn't do things like groups (rack-o-gear) and the reports from it were awful. It broke on me a few months ago and I am bummed cause it had all my cables in it and all the serial numbers of my gear  Crying or Very Sad
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

David Buckley

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 03:43:16 AM »

For a program developed from scratch, the first big question is what is the platform for it to run on?  Mac, Windows or Web?  In most industries this question is a no-brainer, but there is popular support for the Mac in creative industries which somewhat muddies the waters...

Stuart Hogg

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2006, 07:57:48 AM »

David Buckley wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 08:43

For a program developed from scratch, the first big question is what is the platform for it to run on?  Mac, Windows or Web?  

Is it possible to produce something worthwhile in Java or something that would be cross-platform?

Mark Meagher

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 10:21:29 AM »

Not to be a stick in the mud here, but for me, WIN platform is a requirement or browser based at the very least.

I understand that the creative service businesses are running Mac and the ability to integrate Mac into a PC Lan is there. However, being involved in more than one business in which both are PC based, I don't see having a power book or whatever the latest and greatest Mac laptop offering is, as a real advantage when I'll only realize its value for the purpose of this particular application.

What Shaun has sounds very interesting. Maybe he could give us a little insight in to the cross-platform capabilities of his application.

Maybe somebody could volunteer a bit of space on their website so we could have a place to add input concerning what we would like to see in this package, and maybe get a feature set defined and start to take shape with this thing.

Life isn't a destination, it's a trip. Just keep your hands and feet inside the ride.

Mike Lieman

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 10:59:05 AM »

Uh, yeah...
Quote:

My very first thought was that this could be easily designed in ASP.net and set up as an online instance. Since it would be written based on the .net framework, an executable version could be created as well for Windows.

Imagine my suprise when the new $APPLICATION_VENDOR told me that their shiny new .NET application Just Would Not Run on our 100 2GHz Celerons, w 512MB of RAM.

Seems the .NET framework is a pig.  Perhaps consider the lesson of the real ISP/ASP model, where all you need is a web browser and a URL.

Installing ANYTHING to a client pc is "Just Bad Form" these days.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 10:59:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.