ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: computer / midi band show - need help!!  (Read 3047 times)

Ryan Peacher

• http://www.ryanpeacher.me
Re: computer / midi band show - need help!!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 09:36:39 pm »

What kind of software do you use to do your designs? I've been looking for something to use (Freeware) to design a plot for our school setup, so that the admin. will have a visual..

Thanks,
Ryan Peacher | Freelance Audio Technician| Show-Pro & Touring Student-Full Sail University
T- 540.419.1945 | E- soundsmith89@me.com | W- http://www.ryanpeacher.me

Matt Fairhurst

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 09:33:55 am »

Hey man, for those images I just used showxpress. google it and its a free download and pretty easy to use. just take a screen shot or export the graphic. Thanks for all your answers guys, i'm really liking Bluelight.
Matt Fairhurst

Neil Ottenbreit

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 12:44:11 pm »

Hi Matt,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I figured I would post this on here rather than PM since others might be interested.

We are a Top 40/Radio cover show band. Our lighting rig consists of 8 Par 56 up front in two bars of 4 for a front wash. 12 Martin Robocolor II on the back truss that I put diffusion gels on the lens and use them for a rear wash. 9 Robe Spot 160XT moving heads, 5 on the truss and 4 on the ground.

I create our backing tracks using Sonar 5.0 Producer Ed. I like Sonar because it is easy to use, sounds great, has excellent midi function, and loads of included effects. Combined with Reason 3.0 I have no need for any hardware synths or effects.

I run this on a Hewitt Packard Centrino 1.73gHz laptop. Sonar has an excellent playlist function. You load the playlist at the beginning of the set and the person controlling the tracks just hits the space bar and it will start the 1st track. You can have it set to start the 2nd track automatically or wait for a key press and so on.

The audio is distributed to the FOH/monitors through a Presonus Firepod.

I also run the Bluelight on the same laptop at the same time. The Bluelight program is very light on CPU usage. The bluelight is very easy to setup your show with and program. You enter you fixtures using the onboard fixture library. You assign your fixture channels and start creating cues.

The way I do it is I base every song I have the lights programed for off the same starting cue. This cue has just a couple of front lights on per side and all the moving heads and color changers in their home position.

Programming cues is very easy, I would suggest downloading the software and try for yourself.

I use the Bluelight event list to synch my light show up to the band/backing tracks. The event list runs of the internal clock of the computer and allows you to insert events(cues) at specific times. The even list can be 24 hours long and cues can be inserted as accurately as 1 frame(1/30 of a second.)

Lets say we are playing Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil and then New Sensation by INXS. We would start programing cues for Beds at 00:00:00:00(hours:minutes:seconds:frames) in the event list. The event list the blue light can be triggered in many ways including Midi Patch change info. In Sonar you set up a Midi Patch change at 00:00:00:00. You set the bluelight event list midi trigger to respond to that patch change by starting the eventlist at 00:00:00:00. When you start you backing tracks(whether its Sonar, Cubase, etc.) it will send out a midi patch change that will simultaneously start the event list at the appropriate time.

When it comes to New Senstation you repeat the process except you set the event list to start at 00:05:00:00. The next song would start at 00:10:00:00, and so on.

When I program our lights I envision what I want the show to look like, when ever I want a cue change I insert an event in the event list at that time, add/create the appropriate cue. Repeat the process till the song is done. I just match the time from Sonar to the time in the event list. For the second song I just match the time from sonar with the time from the event list + 05:00:00.

Joe from BlueLight is currently setting up the midi trigger to trigger the event list to record. For example for New Sensation you would set the trigger to record at 00:05:00:00. When you start the backing track it starts the event list in record mode. Now eveytime you press a key on the keyboard it will insert an event in the event list. You can assign specific cues to individual keys on the keyboard. Play the backing track, hit the appropriate hot keys at the right time and you song is programmed. Set the midi trigger back to "play at 00:05:00:00" rather that record and your done.

It's easier than it sounds best way is to just try it.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Neil    
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.