ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED & DMX question  (Read 1576 times)

Mark Coward

LED & DMX question
« on: September 15, 2006, 03:51:13 PM »

Hello,

I'm trying to put together a stage setup for a rock band playing small to medium sized venues. Please bear with my ignorance, in the  dozen or more years I've been out of the music scene much has changed. I've been researching LED lighting. Am I correct in assuming that no dimmer packs are needed for these? Some of the small LED PAR systems have a little standalone DMX controller, with DMX IN/OUT...if you already have a larger DMX console this wouldn't be necessary would it?

Thanks,

Mark

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
Re: LED & DMX question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 11:17:30 PM »

Quote:

Am I correct in assuming that no dimmer packs are needed for these?

Yes, LED fixtures have built in Dimming.  Some LED systems may require a separate power supply unit that can power up multiple heads, but these are mostly install type systems.  If the fixture has a standard power cable, nothing else but a dmx signal is required.

Quote:

Some of the small LED PAR systems have a little standalone DMX controller, with DMX IN/OUT...if you already have a larger DMX console this wouldn't be necessary would it?

Correct,  any DMX controller should be able to operate LED lights. They require anywhere from 4 to 7 or so dmx channels depending on the manufacturer and model.  You will be able to set the START ADDRESS on the fixture (thats the DMX address for the fixture's first control channel) and then you can either set all the LED fixtures to the same address (so they all do the same thing) or set different fixtures to different starting addresses (so you can operate some fixtures differently from others)

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.