ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Powersoft Digam K10  (Read 56606 times)

Mike Palmer

Re: Powersoft Digam K10
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 05:38:18 PM »

Coolness Benett..

I did a demo with George for Leann at the  Mirage in Vegas with Microwedge and introduced him to those amp.s

I think they are hella cool also.

I just purchased some MC-2 Amps for my Microwedge rig.. they are also a VERY nice amp...
Michael Palmer
National Sales Manager
Allen & Heath USA
michael.palmer@ah-usa.com

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 08:37:08 AM »

I've found a complaint! The meter response on the front panel is so fast that for most uses, since the amp has so much headroom for transients, it's next to impossible to see how much you're putting out! It took me ten tries to capture this photo, all the rest read like the amp's at idle or maybe putting out 50 watts, and this was in the middle of the last set. My camera has an extremely fast shutter speed... I've taken photos of a wooden piece on a lathe at 3,000 RPM and when they come out it looks as though it's at rest, the grain of the wood is clearly defined... that the indicator digits in this photo are a little blurry for the most significant digits should give you an idea of how fast the display moves.

index.php/fa/5985/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Gareth James

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 02:46:30 PM »

I take it there's no option to alter the rate it tracks output changes. I suppose the ideal way would be to have a peak hold (visually and numerically) as well as an averaged value.

Otherwise looks great!

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 10:15:31 PM »

Not that I've seen, which is unfortunate, since this amp will certainly make you want to double check your limiter settings.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Al Zara

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 10:35:36 AM »

Hello All!

I too have had a powersoft to play with for a few weeks . Twisted Evil

All that Bennett is saying is right on!!
These amps are simply amazing!!!!!

We, as well ran subs with them, EV MT2 w/ evx180b's to be exact.
Result were unbelievable it blew the doors off of our crest  9001 rack, thats two 9001!
Faster reacting time more power WOW!!!

We also did the impedance drop trick to see what would happen
when the amp was loaded down.
Loaded the poop out of it... at least 1 ohm maybe .5 ohm.
The amp did not even blink it just gave us the hiZ on front panel & just kept on chuggin. No overheat, nothing.

The last thing I wanted to comment on was their efficiency...
the manual said they're 95% efficient...
When I read this I thought, Humm Right - No way.
So how do i test this?

Thanks to Langston Holland I built My version of the Uglybuket tm. ( And yes the Home depot folk really look at you funny when you start measuring the resistance of the heater elements!!

It's the stereo bucket, 3x 7.5 ohm x 2000W loads in parallel, roughly 2.6 Ohm @ 6000W.

Next I fired up one of our vortex6 both channels with pink noise to clip,  Amped the line @ 32-34A.

Now for the powersoft...
First, I could not get it into clip but the display did hit 12KW with the amp probe only showing 24A.
Now as Bennett has pointed out the front display does move very quickly, when I saw the 12KW the amp draw did hit 45A.

As Tom the US Rep informed me that the tests  they have done the amp threw a 30A 120v breaker in clip. and it could draw up to 45A at full tilt.

So now I need to get #2 feeder into my racks!!!Just kidding!

You know 220v, 221v, whatever it takes!!!

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 08:50:08 AM »

index.php/fa/5985/0/

I agree with Gareth about the display needing Peak Hold. But would you want the Zload reading to track vrms/arms/watts such that you know the Zload at the exact moment of highest power output? I'd think you would want to know what your lowest impedance is and that the Zload display should Peak Hold that reading.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »

No, I agree that the load calculation should be the minimum and be very slow to react... which is exactly how they seem to have it right now.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Paul Magro

• http://www.valleysound.net
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 12:21:56 PM »

Bennett let me check out the amps a week or so ago at the expense of a 6 hr drive to Troy, NY!  I loved the ride down Rt 7 in western Vt during fall foilage!
 Anyway, I racked up the amps, first noticing the lack of banana plugs.  Because of this fact I decided to run my Community tops full range.  I did not have time to make a speakon adaptor that I could use to bi-amp my tops.  I then set the voltage limiters to about twice what my tops and subs were rated for.  So about 120V for the subs and 100V for the tops. I don't know if this was the correct way to do things, but  I was short on time to research.  I fired up half my rig in my shop to test things out.  That is 2 Community XLT 46e tops and 2 Dth subs.  I set the sub gain to most sensitivty and the tops three notches below.  I don't remeber the settings right now.
 First off, I have to say the most used terms in power amp advertising.  My rig sounded extremely clean with limitsless headroom!  I have used a wide variety of amps on my rig, but these were definitely the best!  The subs were extremely tight upto the point where they started to fart out.  A lot of other amps seemed to get mushy in the low end when pushed, but the Digam 10 was just coasting along, barely one light flickering!  The same goes for the tops.  I never run my tops full range, so I was a little leary about the sound not being what I was used to in bi-amp mode.  A little eqing to bring out some low mid-meat and I didn't think twice about running full range.
 O.K., so I got my rig tested out to make sure I wouldn't blow anything, and to get some baseline settings on the amps, crossover and eq.  I load up and get to the gig the next day, early.  It is a 250 person club.  It used to be a Corvette museum, now it is a club/50's diner, very cool place and recently renovated to increase the dance floor.  I set up a double stack aside and fire up the rig.  On a very odd note, the night before, while testing the amps, the tops were reading about 5.2 ohm and the subs agout 4.8 ohm, with the ohms dropping as I pushed the volume.  At the club, the amp used on the tops was now stating "unknown Z".  The night before I had one side of the amp loaded and it calculated the load fine, now with both sides running, it would not calculate the load.  I don't know?
 I run my usual tuning music and played with the eq, crossover, etc, and let the rig run for about 4 hrs before the band was to arrive.  I wanted to make sure everything was ok.  I had 2 Digam 10's set to 15A breaker and 2 PLX 1602 (for monitors) on one breaker.  I've never had a problem in the past running the whole rig on one breaker, that's usually 5 amps, PLX or Crest Pro200.  No way to set a distro in the this room!  I pushed the volume up and down to check headroom and such and once again I could get it completely clean up to the point of speaker distortion, just the subs though.
 Band comes and we do a sound check, but I can't seem to get the vocals over the mix.  I changed the amp sensitivity for the tops to one notch below the subs and the system really came alive!!  The Community tops have a built in light bulb protection crap.  I've been on gigs where the ports on the boxes would light up, when really pushing, but throughout the show there was not a hint that the boxes were being over powered.  I was glad considering there was enough juice to send the voice coils into someone's forehead.
 The gig was great with unlimited headroom and clean output.  Once again I have to state that at other times with different amps, as I pushed the system, the sound would change as the amps ran closer to their max.  The Digam 10's responded and sound the same throughout the entire range, from whispering to screaming.
 Final note:  Why no banana plugs?  Different standards in Europe?  The amp failed to calculate the load for some reason on my tops, but the subs were registering fine on the other amp.  I had a problem with the metering.  Like Bennett had said, the bar graph was just way too fast and I wish that the LED ladders on the amp would coincide with the limiter settings.  The amp can put out tremendous ammounts of power, but I don't think I ever went past one LED for the tops and two for the subs.  That really doesn't help me from across the room when checking the LED meters.  I think that if I set the limiter to 100v, then the LED's should react with regards to that scale.  Just a minor gripe, but the LED meters were useless to me otherwise.
 That's my review, I hope it brings up some discussion. Very Happy
Paul Magro
Valley Sound
http://www.ValleySound.net

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 12:30:43 PM »

Paul Magro wrote on Tue, 24 October 2006 12:21

Final note:  Why no banana plugs?  Different standards in Europe?

Hey Paul, glad it worked out so well for you!

I believe the reason you don't get banana plugs is because they're a little too close to the size and shape of a european mains connector for comfort... especially when you're selling amps to europe.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Tue, 24 October 2006 17:30

Paul Magro wrote on Tue, 24 October 2006 12:21

Final note:  Why no banana plugs?  Different standards in Europe?

Hey Paul, glad it worked out so well for you!

I believe the reason you don't get banana plugs is because they're a little too close to the size and shape of a european mains connector for comfort... especially when you're selling amps to europe.

Yep when you get some Crown amps now they come with little plastic plugs in the banana slots that you have to pry out. They put those in for protection to make sure nothing like that happens.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.