ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't waste your time with West System Epoxy  (Read 5737 times)

Dan Kok

Re: Don't waste your time with West System Epoxy
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 10:41:04 PM »

Not that it matters but FYI, West System and Pro-Set are made by the same company, Gougeon Brothers:
http://www.gougeon.com/

Edit:

Mmmmm... and if I'd read carefully I'd see that the original poster said that.  Duh.

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 03:32:56 PM »

I've tried some caulk tube adhesives from the home improvement store but I haven't been thrilled with them.  At least one type seemed to cure very slowly (definitely more than 24 hrs) and if you want to cut or sand the resulting bead it is gummy.  I've never known any of those adhesives to cure completely hard like west system epoxy does.  
So I can see the benefits of proset epoxy.  But it seems to be quite expensive.  I see a price of about $145 for the dispenser gun alone.  Can anyone comment on the price/benefit comparison?  

drew

peter.golde

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 03:37:31 PM »

drewgandy wrote on Sat, 21 October 2006 15:32

I've tried some caulk tube adhesives from the home improvement store but I haven't been thrilled with them.  At least one type seemed to cure very slowly (definitely more than 24 hrs) and if you want to cut or sand the resulting bead it is gummy.  

drew

If you didnt use PL Adhesive or other 100% polyeurathane adhesives, you were using the wrong stuff
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 07:12:21 PM »

peter.golde wrote on Sat, 21 October 2006 14:37

If you didnt use PL Adhesive or other 100% polyeurathane adhesives, you were using the wrong stuff

I'm pretty sure it was PL brand.  But they do make several different varieties.  I found it quite confusing because the performance claims all sound the same.  I've used PL+ in the past to do the floating floor in my studio.  The adhesive is a tan color.  It gets hard but not as hard as the west system. I think that's why its used in flooring; it gives a little to avoid squeekes.?  The tube I just used had a dark blue color adhesive and had a pretty strong smell.  I think it was one of the most expensive adhesives there.  I'm just about to head to Menards and I'll check about 100% polyurethane.  Isn't that what gorilla glue is?  

drew
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.