ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone used EV Eliminator I Subs?  (Read 4411 times)

Whit Hutchinson

Anyone used EV Eliminator I Subs?
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:17:17 PM »

I picked up a pair of these subs a while back from a friend for DJ use.  I was wondering if anyone here had experience with them.

I have used them a handfull of times but I have trouble getting them to "keep up" with any other MI/DJ level 15"x1".  It seems I have to pour the power to them (RMS Power above 400 Watts which is their raiting) in order to keep some sub bass present.

It's possible it has been the acoustic charastics of the 2 venues I have been using them in (basement and nighclub with a false/raised floor).  

I know these subs are entry level but I can name many more that are lesser performers on paper.  I seem to get the best results when I power them "stereo" with a Peavey PV 1500.  I am using the active 40Hz low cut and active xOver low pass on the amp. I seem to get the most volume in this mode right at DDT threshold (which I would assume to be pretty much full output).  I have tried to bridge them before on this amp but I dont get anymore volume.  The amp seems to DDT much more easily and I dont like running things in the red.  I think this is partly due to the fact that this is a cheap amp that is not up to the task of a 4 ohm bridge and the chart for the subs shows that they behave more like 4 ohm  subs between 40-50 HZ than 8 ohm subs.

These subs have a built in passive 100HZ LF crossover and I am wondering if that is soaking up the power.  I know the amp I am using is sub-pro but rated specs are rated specs and im not sure if I'm overpowering anything (especially in bridge) touching the DDT compression on bass transients.

Any positive input would be great!  I alrady know 1. These subs are not LABs and the amp I am using is a Chineese POS but its still fairly solid for what I have done with it and it has never shut off or quit for any application I have asekd it to do.
I have learned in my life:

-Pretty girls don't stay single long
- KF 850s  over SB 1000s per side was designed to be a percussion instrument rather than a "soundpretty thing".

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Re: Anyone used EV Eliminator I Subs?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 02:26:53 AM »

Aren't the eliminators the oldschool WBins from way back when.

My Dad was telling me about seeing the Doors on MT. Tamalpias and the Sound Provider was using EV Eliminators with MF and HF horns mounted in the mouth.

Antone-

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 02:32:14 AM »

Oh I guess they've recycled that name for a new product line.

Sure looks like a 1 note wonder.

http://www.electrovoice.com/download_document.php?doc=1201

I'm suprised that that sub has less or the same output @ 40Hz as the Eliminator I single 15 full range cab.

It looks like it is capable of blasting a Hefty 70Hz something or other.  Not a sub by any stretch of the imagination.

Whats really bizarre about that woofer is it has less output capability @ 50Hz than the stick mounted version that is supposed to go on top of it????

http://www.electrovoice.com/download_document.php?doc=1608

Have the designers @ EV lost their minds?

I would venture to say that you could high pass (low cut) that thing around 60Hz, and not be missing much.

Antone-

Gareth James

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 07:11:39 AM »

Agreeing with Anton here, that's not a sub. 85dB at 55hz?! Rolling Eyes

Try and sell it someone who doesn't know any better then either buy or build a simple "single 15/18 in a box", I'm sure you'll get much better results.

BTW if the PV1500 was clipping earlier in bridge mode than stereo you mustn't have set it up right, it will deliver much more power into a given ohmage in bridge mode.

Bridge mode isn't the answer here though, getting rid of that I-Crap is the ONLY way.

Kevin Ballard

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 08:17:32 AM »

Whit,

the EV eliminator range have a reputation for needing lots of amplifier power to light them up. They are reasonably resilient if driven properly, but they are not the most efficient box.

Get some Peavey QW subs (or maybe just one would do it).

HTH
Kevin Ballard

Yes the Toilets are over there!

Whit Hutchinson

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:33:05 AM »

Thanks for the input guys.

It seems that I should be giving them a little more power.  I typically don't feel right about feeding any box with over its RMS rating continously.

As for the Peavey amp.  IM pretty sure its protecting itslef when I bridge both these cabs on it.  Again, according to the specs for these subs they are closer to 4 ohm around 50 HZ than 8 and thats when I get the DDT at moderate volume.  They recently pulled the 4 ohm bridge rating from this line of amps so Im sure it was not the best candidate to begin with.
I have learned in my life:

-Pretty girls don't stay single long
- KF 850s  over SB 1000s per side was designed to be a percussion instrument rather than a "soundpretty thing".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.