ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Wedge Fest 2006 Wrapup  (Read 43637 times)

Josh Evans

• http://www.youtube.com/jevans111
Re: Wedge Fest 2006 Wrapup
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 03:46:55 PM »

Yo Bennett,

Thanks for posting ur notes! Your a brave man. It sounds like you guys had allot of fun.  

best-
Joshua Evans

Outlinearrays.com
"Sound is what happens when air gets pushed"

Dave Stevens

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 04:03:54 PM »

Chris Cowley wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 03:07

[The reason fo rthat Dave is because that is how ALL D&B products are. They really are the european equivalent of Meyer: a company that you really just trust that they have got the settings right - because they have.

I've been using the d&b stuff for a while and had the opportunity to be with the first act that used the J series in testing and have carried Q rigs several times.  Good stuff, there is just not that much in States but when I was touring (still sounds strange to say that) we'd spec that or Meyer as first choice.  I like the M4 (though it's pretty big) and the Max and would like to hear an M2.  A Q sub and a Max is a killer little drum fill.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 09:17:29 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 20:43

I will risk putting my foot in my mouth and post my notes from the event. Please note that these are probably totally unfair and should be taken with a grain of salt... we didn't do exhaustive testing my any means and really spent most of our time listening to music and voices through wedges and then seeing how well they handled serious sonic abuse.

Much more useful detail pertaining to each wedge will be available in the Road Test forum, since I sent each and every wedge I could home with someone.

http://www.campuspa.com/images/wedgefest/notes.doc

Hi Bennett,

When you measured the various boxes with a SLM did you use a high pass on the wedge or was it wide open?
Thanks.
Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Luis Tomás Henares

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 10:52:24 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 01:43

I will risk putting my foot in my mouth and post my notes from the event. Please note that these are probably totally unfair and should be taken with a grain of salt...

From the notes

Adamson M-15

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 03:01:58 PM »

I didn't high pass anything, but the SLM was a-weighted.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 03:33:42 PM »

Luis,

Mains speakers are largely mid- and far-throw boxes and, as such, compromises in driver spacing and selection that would be unnacceptable in a near-field speaker are often overlooked in favor of SPL. The long-lived 15"x2" combo that works poorly but acceptably in a mains application has, IMNSHO, no business being on stage where even frequency response is desired. The Adamson wedge sounds and reacts to feedback exactly like a box with a 15" LF driver and large-diaphragm HF driver crossed over fairly high.

It is fairly light and low profile, but I think they're trying to get too much out of one box by making it flyable, arrayable, and a monitor.

I like my wedges a little bright with a very tight mid-bass and gradual rolloff of the lows. They should sound slightly thin in a listening situation but cut well when there's lots of noise. Linearity off-axis is also important to me, but that's the case in any speaker. I usually then HPF them up to 200hz, +/- 50Hz.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
wedge design vs. sos
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »

Another thing about wedge design is that you can count on half-space loading to reinforce the LF. If your do-everything box is supposed to sound okay up on a stick then you get tubby bass when it's placed on stage for mons. Porting and box design can only be optimized for one of the two jobs.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

John Chiara

Re: wedge design vs. sos
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 03:40:20 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Wed, 13 September 2006 15:50

Another thing about wedge design is that you can count on half-space loading to reinforce the LF. If your do-everything box is supposed to sound okay up on a stick then you get tubby bass when it's placed on stage for mons. Porting and box design can only be optimized for one of the two jobs.

-Bink

That was the case ..the Adamson would make a good keyboard monitor of drum fill..but with a voice along with high volume music it was hard to distinquish the vocal mid/upper mids that are needed to hear the voice through the din...IMO.
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Winston Gamble

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2006, 01:29:58 AM »

So Bennett,
Out of all the people at the wedgefest were you the only one to put together notes on your impressions? While your comments are very informative, it seems odd to me that the group as a whole didn't cobble together some kind of rating or comparison matrix.

Winston

Paul Bell

• http://pbellsound.com/
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2006, 02:10:56 AM »

The notes posted are kinda the impressions we all had after discussing the results over a steak&brew.

BTW, my new word of the week is "tubby". Thanks, guys.
Paul Bell
PBell Sound New York City
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up