ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want To Go Digital - Plain & Simple  (Read 5142 times)

Rufus Crowder

Want To Go Digital - Plain & Simple
« on: September 11, 2006, 12:46:24 PM »

I have made up my mind to go digital (bitten by the bug) but need some questions answered and some advice.

Givens: I need at least 32 channels, 4-6 monitor mixes but do not want to invest in a custom case for my Allen-Heath-GL2200-32 that I keep at my church and check out when I have larger jobs.  Currently utilizing two reverb units (drums and vox), dbx Driverack, and 31 band EQ's on monitor wedges.

Considering: The Yamaha 01V96 (newest version) but need to know what else to buy to get up to the 32 quality XLR mic pre(s)or at least to the functionality of my current set-up.

I have noted from reading around here that the learning curve is not that drastic but the ROI can be quite substantial in the long run considering the analog options.  

Clayton Luckie

Re: Want To Go Digital - Plain & Simple
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:53:05 PM »

If you havent seen the news yet, you should at least know about Yamaha's new digital desks.  They look like a step between the 01V96 and the M7CL.

cl

brian dunard

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 01:17:02 PM »

If the LS916 has only 8 outputs.  The DM1000 will give you 12 if the LS932 (which has 16 outputs)is out of your budget.  I have no idea on pricing so I am kind of guessing that the LS932 is going to be more than $4500.  I could be wrong.

Charles Johnson

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:02:05 PM »

Rufus Crowder wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 12:46

Considering: The Yamaha 01V96 (newest version) but need to know what else to buy to get up to the 32 quality XLR mic pre(s)or at least to the functionality of my current set-up.

Rufus,

A lot of people utilize the 16 in/out ADAT card and go with the Behringer ADA8000 8ch mic pre units, which give you 8ch of mic pre and 8 line-level outputs. Personally, I went with the "non-disposable" route and purchased one of the 16ch in/out TDIF cards and 2 Spirit Mic/Line Interface units which, again, give me 8ch of mic pre and 8 line-level outputs (each).

The above will net you 28 mic pres and 4 line-level inputs. 8 more mic pres (and 8 more assignable outputs, in addition to the 16 that you'd get from the 2 8ch mic pre units) can be added utilizing the onboard ADAT I/O, though since the Spirit is TDIF-only, it, obviously, is not an option for that expansion route. As for the line-level inputs - any number of companies make half-rack-space-width 2ch mic pres, so 2 of those and you're done Smile

Now, as an aside, as for wiring all of this up, over in the PM7D thread (I think) Joel Ashcroft posted a pic of his solution - pretty slick, if you ask me - and then my solution is...well, PM me if you want to know, as it's one of those "It's really very simple in concept - just takes a while to write it all out!" solutions Wink

Finally, FWIW, unless they've stopped making them, Focusrite makes an 8ch mic pre unit (the Octopre LE) with a digital I/O option that'll give you 8 in/out via ADAT Lightpipe. Personally, I've yet to use one, and while there have been notes about it being too noisy, for live purposes, I'd be more concerned/bothered by the external PSU... Rolling Eyes

Hope this helps!

Charles Johnson

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 09:49:16 PM »

Couldn't you also use the Mackie 800R?? That has 8 mic pre's in it. Sorry if I'm wrong I'm not realy up to snuff with the whole optical stuff.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Justice C. Bigler

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 12:41:05 AM »

Ian Johnston wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 20:49

Couldn't you also use the Mackie 800R?? That has 8 mic pre's in it. Sorry if I'm wrong I'm not realy up to snuff with the whole optical stuff.

You can use any of a number of 8-channel mic pres with the ADAT optical connection. There are many available on the market from Focusrite, Presonus, Mackie, Behrigner. The Behrigner units are popular around here because they are so dirt cheap.
-Justice C. Bigler
House Sound Tech
Tulsa Performing Arts Center

IATSE Local 354

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 10:36:09 AM »

Justice C. Bigler wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 21:41

Ian Johnston wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 20:49

You can use any of a number of 8-channel mic pres with the ADAT optical connection. There are many available on the market from Focusrite, Presonus, Mackie, Behrigner. The Behrigner units are popular around here because they are so dirt cheap.

Right. But you get what you pay for... The Presonus pres are markedly noisier than the onboard Yamaha pres--this on a 01V96. Down at the bottom of the Presonus sound is a base of buzz, rizz, and whine. And if a condensor phantom mic is vulnerable to buzzes then you can't put it on the Presonus--it has to go on the built-in Yamaha pres.

I've never had troubles like that with the Mackie 800R on a TT24. However, I haven't yet tried an 800R on a Yamaha.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Charles Johnson

Re: Presonus Mic Pres
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:47:18 AM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 10:36

Right. But you get what you pay for... The Presonus pres are markedly noisier than the onboard Yamaha pres--this on a 01V96. Down at the bottom of the Presonus sound is a base of buzz, rizz, and whine. And if a condensor phantom mic is vulnerable to buzzes then you can't put it on the Presonus--it has to go on the built-in Yamaha pres.

Bink,

I'm assuming that you're referring to either the Octopre with the digital out only or, more likely, the Octopre LE with the digital I/O card, and while I'm certainly not doubting you, I find it hard to believe that a company like Presonus would sell a unit with problems such as those!

True, the Octopre LE is in their budget line, but then my brother has an Octopre with (I'm pretty sure) the digital output card that he uses with his Pro Tools LE setup (hey, if you don't need more tracks and the plugs-ins you want to use will work with it, why shell out the $$$$$ ?), and considering that he's currently attending Belmont (he's in NashVegas), then considering the level of equipment he works on at school, you'd think that he'd complain about noise issues. So far, no complaints.

Rather odd - the unit with the external PSU has more noise trouble than the one with the internal PSU...

Anyone from Presonus lurking that could chime in?

Curious,

Charles Johnson

Erik Jerde

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 12:16:11 PM »

The octopre is from focusrite, presonus makes the digimax units.

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 12:35:06 PM »

Charles Johnson wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 10:47

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 10:36

Bink,

I'm assuming that you're referring to either the Octopre with the digital out only or, more likely, the Octopre LE with the digital I/O card, and while I'm certainly not doubting you, I find it hard to believe that a company like Presonus would sell a unit with problems such as those!

True, the Octopre LE is in their budget line, but then my brother has an Octopre with (I'm pretty sure) the digital output card that he uses with his Pro Tools LE setup (hey, if you don't need more tracks and the plugs-ins you want to use will work with it, why shell out the $$$$$ ?), and considering that he's currently attending Belmont (he's in NashVegas), then considering the level of equipment he works on at school, you'd think that he'd complain about noise issues. So far, no complaints.

Rather odd - the unit with the external PSU has more noise trouble than the one with the internal PSU...

Anyone from Presonus lurking that could chime in?

Curious,

Charles Johnson

Bink and Charles,

I just recently tested/demo'ed both the digimax LT and digimax FS from Presonus with my 01V96.  I did not experience any issues with Phantom or Noise.  The first event I used the LT with a violin, KMS105 vocal mic, SM58 vocal mic and acoustic guitar on a passive DI.
I also moved the click channel to the Presonus which was previously going into a line input.  The percussion player was happy with it and did not complain of any noise issues in his in-ears.  
I ended up using the pad on all of these channels and had the gain between 9 and 12 o'clock.  Everything sounded great and there wasn't any problems with noise or hiss.  The show was outdoors in a 3000 seat amphitheater.  I used the installed EAW boxes which covered fine except for the extreme edges.  I was about 1/3 - 1/2 way back and thought that the presonus sounded great.  I used the on-board pre's for the rest of the band.

For the next 2 shows I did I used the NEW Presonus Digimax FS which turned out to be a very nice unit.  I don't like having the cables come out the front and it has a outboard PSU which is annoying also.  I used it on 3 wireless vocal mics for an accapella group the first show.  This worked great and everything ran perfect.  The one feature that stood out to me over the LT is that this unit has de-tents on the gain pots, 40 of them to be exact.  This is nice because it gives you a reference to be able to recall stuff later.  The second event I used it for wireless announcement mics both indoors and outdoors.  I had no noise problems any of these times and things worked flawlessly.

I ended up buying the Digimax FS.  Mainly because it has the separate Lightpipe outputs to 1/4".  I am taking out the 8ch. output card in my 01V96 to replace it with an aviom card so I needed the ability to have more outputs when not using the Aviom system and these outputs give me just that.
I was a little worried about the FS not having PAD's on each input like the LT but this has turned out to be a non issue.
The other thing that I was not sure of is if the inputs on the front of the FS would handle a right angle Neutrik connector.  Well as you can see from the picture below it worked flawlessly and keeps a clean appearance.

index.php/fa/5812/0/

I would say that the Digimax FS and LT are great units if you are trying to add 8ch.(or more) of preamps via lightpipe to any mixer.

NOTE: I do not work for Presonus,  I just wanted to try these units out for myself as I have heard mixed reviews on LT and the FS looked like a serious new contender for this job.

sincerely,
db

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 12:45:49 PM »

Good review of the LT and FS models. Thanks!

I should have said right up front that I was talking about the PreSonus DigiMAX.    Sad

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Charles Johnson

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 01:19:06 PM »

Erik Jerde wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 12:16

The octopre is from focusrite, presonus makes the digimax units.

Erik,

Whoops - that'll teach me to try to work on a Unix server and then transition over to posting on the LAB in too short of a time period... Rolling Eyes

Ivan Beaver's had so much to say about noise issues that he's encountered with the Focusrite unit that I assumed that Bink was talking about the Focusrite unit, not the Presonus unit...

My mistake and thanks for the correction.

Charles Johnson

Tim Hamm

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 08:32:24 PM »

I too have been bitten by the presonus LT preamps.

Noisiest preamps I've ever used. It all boils down to their blatent 'pin 1' problem.

They'll probably work in a studio, but in live situations (where cables are longer than 10') they pickup all the crap on the sheild and amplify it with the audio.

In comparison, the Bear-ringer preamps are _much_ quieter. (Unfortunately, they go _real_ quiet when they self destruct - BTDT,BTTS)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 08:32:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.