ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft GB8 48  (Read 72364 times)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

Re: Soundcraft GB8 48
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2006, 12:01:12 am »

Thanks Tom for the very quick response.  Any follow up would be well appreciated.

Ryan Jenkins
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2006, 04:11:17 am »

Ryan Lantzy wrote on Thu, 30 November 2006 23:07

Umm... well the DPS4 does work with the GB8...  Very Happy  I've used it for the last several outings with the console and no magic smoke.  Hope this doesn't anger anyone.  -ducks-

Heh... I did too! The IEC cord I got with the GB8 wasn't quite long enough for my poorly planned out power system at FOH, but if I racked the spare PSU and then cabled it to the console there was no problem... I actually never used the internal supply!
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Sara Elliott

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2006, 02:11:01 pm »

Tom Der wrote on Thu, 30 November 2006 21:24

No need to defend Sara, she's perfectly fine at taking up for herself and will no doubt try to poison me with polonium (or something equally exotic) slipped into my chicken tikka masala during our next dinner together.

Thanks for the comments. Standing by for more....

All The Best,

Tom

Quote:

Hopefully this post will get Sara from Live Sound off my back.

Anyone doing their job well get's a vote from me...  Hey, just like her profile says... she get's us Gear and Beer.  No complaints here!

[/quote]

So, Tom when are we going to partake of some Curry again?  I suppose that would be sometime at NAMM.  I will make sure to go online and purchase the polonium or exotic toxin that will seal your fate. Actually, now that you have done as I asked - no need, the request as been fulfilled.  
No, seriously, thank you for your participation.  As you can see when they know you are monitoring and you do contribute, the questions come fast and furious - it makes for a better interactive thread, which is what the intent was for ROAD TEST.

jack owen

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2006, 06:11:11 pm »

Hey, while we have some Soundcraft people hangin' around here talking about power supplies, can anyone pull some strings to get me a fan for my power supply? I ordered the part almost three months ago and it's still back ordered. Anybody know of an outside repair shop that stocks Soundcraft parts??? The power supply is for the Soundcraft Ghost in our studio which has run flawless for almost 10 years straight.

jack
RadioWestOfTheRiver@hotmail.com

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: Soundcraft GB8 48 - State Theatre
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2006, 01:38:44 am »

Hey all,

After helping Jim B. with an install we brought the GB8 in to give it a workout as a FOH console in a theatre setting.

Here are some pics to start.  Hopefully Jim or I will get back here with some comments, for now feast your eyes on these:

http://photos.lhsoundandlight.com/photos/StateTheatre/2006.12.11%20State%20Theatre%20030-1.jpg http://photos.lhsoundandlight.com/photos/StateTheatre/2006.12.11%20State%20Theatre%20026-1.jpg

http://photos.lhsoundandlight.com/photos/StateTheatre/2006.12.11%20State%20Theatre%20040.jpg http://photos.lhsoundandlight.com/photos/StateTheatre/2006.12.11%20State%20Theatre%20041.jpg

http://photos.lhsoundandlight.com/photos/StateTheatre/2006.12.11%20State%20Theatre%20042.jpg http://photos.lhsoundandlight.com/photos/StateTheatre/2006.12.11%20State%20Theatre%20063.jpg

http://photos.lhsoundandlight.com/photos/StateTheatre/2006.12.11%20State%20Theatre%20065.jpg
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Sara Elliott

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2006, 04:34:18 pm »

Hey Ryan, great shots! Did you mix a show in that theatre?  
Let us know how it went and how did you like the desk?  Jim B., would love for you to weigh in on it too.

The Guy

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2006, 04:45:33 pm »

Now that we have the opening weekend under our belt, I can chime in with some initial impressions of the GB8-48.

So far we've had 10 bands play through the desk.  3 visiting engineers (including 2 that requested 'H3000 or equivalent' on the rider!)  I've mixed 7 performances on it so far and here goes nothing.

The layout of the desk pretty standard.  The color coding scheme is nice for keeping track of the auxes.  I have no problem getting around on the desk, being a large-fingered person that I am.  Ergonomically I prefer it to the GL3300.  The group/mute assign switches are close together and short-travel, so sometimes you have to look closely to see where things are assigned.  Not a deal breaker, and hey, I'm used to it from my old Verona.

The room holds about 600 people and is very, very nice sounding.  Virtually anechoic (it's a dual purpose concert room/movie theater.)  The PA is a flown Turbosound Floodlight system, QSC powered.  More than enough power for the room, and very nice sounding if I do say so myself.  Perhaps Brian B or Ryan Lantzy can chime in.

So far, here's what we've had in terms of acts:
1. Blues Band
2. Solo Pianist/Male Vocalist
3. Full Jazz Band
4. Disrespectfully loud (and fairly untalented) rock band
5. Much Better rock band
6. Solo Acoustic/Female Vocalist
7. National Act (last night.)

The console had its shining moment of sound quality on our opening night, a grammy-winning male vocalist and piano player.  3 AKG 414's on the piano and a Beyer M88 on his vocal, and the console performed admirably.  The EQ is more responsive than you'd expect in a console of this range, and the mic preamps sound as good as most.

Last night we had a national act come through with a guest engineer (Rider specified H3000 or better) but the guy was fine with the GB8.  Mix sounded fantastic and they were a blast to work with.

Mixing on it myself, here are some pros and cons:
Pros:
-Good sounding EQ
-Nice layout
-Good metering (space age digital VU meters on top....niiice)
-Console is relatively compact
-Plenty of outputs

Cons:
-Build quality is a tad bit cheesy.  I.E. if you press on the fader tray the top panel will flex.  I'm not sure how this translates into internal structural integrity, but on the surface it's not built like a yamaha battleship (see marketplace.)
-Virtually every output on TRS jack.  I'd prefer to see more XLR outputs (at least on the matrices, hopefully on the auxes too.)  The console has XLR outputs for the groups, but they do not flip to the aux outputs (ala GL3300 style) when you're in monitor mode.
-Needs PAD buttons on the channel inputs.  Some condenser mics will overdrive the inputs, or at least come close.
-Fixed HPF
-Only a 2 band sweep EQ.

All in all it's a great little console, and a very good alternative to the GL3xxx class consoles.

-JB

P.S.  Soundcraft, can you add a feature that blasts bands with a firehose when their stage volume is 115dbA at FOH IN A DAMN THEATER?

P.S.2. I'd really like to get my hands on the MH2....hopefully road test will send me the one and try to show up my current medium format console king...the Spectra T.

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2006, 08:09:22 am »

Jim Bowersox wrote on Tue, 19 December 2006 16:45

The room holds about 600 people and is very, very nice sounding.  Virtually anechoic (it's a dual purpose concert room/movie theater.)  The PA is a flown Turbosound Floodlight system, QSC powered.  More than enough power for the room, and very nice sounding if I do say so myself.  Perhaps Brian B or Ryan Lantzy can chime in.  

The PA does sound quite good.  It was the first time I had heard the Floodlight cabinets and I was fairly impressed.  WRT the GB8, the mixer seems transparent to me.  I don't perceive any coloration or distortion of any kind.

I've listened to 4 shows there plus some recorded material and it sounds fantastic with the GB8 at the helm.  I've also listened to some board recordings and it sounds like something out of a studio.  The room itself sounds like a studio.  It is dead, very dead.  

If you hear a bad mix in this room, it's just that.  Because of the multiple zones I think it is a good idea to walk the room a few times during the show.  Engineers that have refused to do that have put together awful sounding mixes.

I would call two of the mixes I heard the other night *inspiring* (one for a female vocalist playing acoustic guitar, the other for a national modern folk/rock singer).

The one thing I questioned was how the GB8 would handle a load on a multitude of channels.  I've used it for rock and blues with 20 channels or so, but it's harder to pick out nastiness with driving music like that.  The BE for the national on Monday was hitting 20+ channels at moderate levels with music that was "lighter."  It sounded fantastic.

I guess in summation, I have no concerns with this board sound quality wise.  For all the little nit-picks, I think you can't go wrong for the money.

P.S.  With the system that is installed, running some listening material Jim B. was hitting 100 dB just before the balcony shaded the pattern of the Floodlights.  The amps (PL218, PL236, and PL236, HF, MF, LF I believe) were just barely flickering signal.  The TFL760 is very efficient.  My point is, there was definitely enough system headroom that if the GB8 had any gremlins to show, they would have been audible.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

The Guy

Re: Soundcraft GB8 48 - State Theatre Follow Up
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2007, 09:50:59 am »

After some more time on the GB8 I figured it was high time for a follow up post.  I'm continuing to like the GB8 (admittedly more than I thought I would at first!)

- I thought the absence of a PAD button might be a problem at first, but it has proved to be a non-issue.  We've had some inputs hit fairly hard on the board, but the headroom is adequate.  I'd still like to see a 4 band sweep EQ, or a Q switch on the mids (ala K2.)  

- We readjusted some gain structure in the venue, as most of our work is relatively low SPL (<100dB.)  I've been running the console a tad harder, with the most recent show hanging out at around -3 on the digital VU meters.  My gut instinct is that it sounds a little bit better than in the beginning, where we were barely lighting up the outputs during shows.  

We've had several more guest engineers on the board over the past few weeks and everyone has been happy with it; no complaints at all.  One mentioned that "VCA's would be nice," but obviously that's not a flaw with the board.

We've got a stack of upcoming riders requesting XL4's and PM4000's, but we're going to try and encourage them to use the GB8.  The place is only 550 seats, after all.  Most of these riders also say "MUST BE LINE ARRAY, NO EXCEPTIONS" but that's a different problem!  I guess I'm taking the Floodlights down and installing a V-DORSH or VORTECH rig as they've called out for.

-JB

Mario Salazar

Re: Soundcraft GB8 48 - State Theatre Follow Up
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2007, 06:50:58 pm »

I have to say that I am a bit bummed that this console does not have pads.  I was seriously considering it over the Allen and Heath but pads are necessary, especially when doing multi-act shows.  I can't tell you how many times during a show a guy with a drum machine or processor jumps to a program that is hot as hell and that is when the pads save me.  I would hate to think of having to grab a pad and disconnect the input to insert it.  Why is it that there is always a catch in this price range?
Just my two cents.
Regards,
Mario
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.