ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft GB8 48  (Read 72928 times)

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: Soundcraft GB8 48
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2006, 03:29:00 pm »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Mon, 27 November 2006 15:04

Sounds like you finally got enough console!

For now...  Cool
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Tom Der

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 01:25:37 pm »

Just as a brief note.. Soundcraft does monitor this discussion/road test from time to time but quite frankly the majority of the comments/critiques on the GB8 have been accurate or have been corrected by LAB members and thus required no additional clarification or input from us. However feel free to fire off a question if you do need something.

Hopefully this post will get Sara from Live Sound off my back.

Happy Trails,

Tom Der
National Sales Manager
Soundcraft USA

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2006, 01:31:38 pm »

Tom Der wrote on Thu, 30 November 2006 13:25

Ha ha! Good luck, Tom. Glad to know you're watching, I'll go goose Paul Magro to give you a little more positive press on the MH2 as well. Thanks again for shipping us the desks.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Sara Elliott

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2006, 03:46:10 pm »

Whatever do you mean?  Those were and have been words of encouragement to have some input and "drop in" comments from the manufacturer.  But none the less, I am happy to know that you are monitoring this thread number one, and number two, that you noticed me "on your back".  

Sara Elliott

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006, 05:34:29 pm »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Thu, 30 November 2006 12:31

I'll go goose Paul Magro to give you a little more positive press on the MH2 as well. Thanks again for shipping us the desks.

You do that Bennett or I will be crawling on Paul's back too.  Paging Mr. Magro - we're waiting!  

Ryan Lantzy

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2006, 07:44:50 pm »

However feel free to fire off a question if you do need something.

Hey Tom, I'll take a crack at it.

First off.  What made your design team decide to go with an internal power supply on the GB8.  Wouldn't the reduced complexity and parts count help the bottom line?

Also, any reason you guys decided to ship it out with the DPS4 power supply?  The manual makes mention of the DPS3.  Is the DPS4 only recommended for the larger frame versions of the GB8?

The decision to add a GRP/AUX flip that also flips the inserts to  the auxes was a good one I might add.  It also would have been nice if the TRS jacks flipped to the XLRs to be compatible with most drive snakes.  Not a huge deal...

None-the-less, I must admit this console has won me over and I want want for myself.  Though, I think a 40 channel would do and a bit lighter case!  

Quote:

Anyone doing their job well get's a vote from me...  Hey, just like her profile says... she get's us Gear and Beer.  No complaints here!

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Tom Der

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2006, 10:24:46 pm »

The internal PSU actually saves cost. Less metal work, no cable and connectors. In the not so old days built in PSUs were not practical since most large console power supplies were linear thus the weight, size, not to mention heat made it prohibitive. These days switch mode supplies are dependable enough so you've seen us and Midas start using them in our lower mid-range consoles. You still have to make sure that you properly implement it so as not to introduce radiated noise from the supply in to the audio buses. The DPS3 is esentially not much more than the PSU assembly from the GB series mounted in a chassis.

My gut says that we accidentally shipped 2 DPS4 supplies (instead of 1 DPS3 and DPS4)when we sent the MH2 and GB8 to Bennett. The DPS4 is currently only used as a spare PSU to the MH2. I'm not sure if the voltages and pins are identical between the two. DPS3 works with all GB console frame sizes and has replaced the DCP-200 for Series TWO.

Yep, agreed that it probably would have been best to have the XLRs switch along with the inserts. There may have been some rationale why they don't but i can't think of any good reason at the moment.

Roadcases are sort of tough at this end of the market. Any quality case with casters, doghouse, etc...is going to be pretty heavy and even worse-fairly expensive. I agonized a bit about whether to offer it in a tourpack configuration with case or not since the case on this level of console represents a significant portion of the console cost. The decision in the end was to offer a relatively well made case with doghouse and casters as our standard case, but certainly if someone wanted something more compact or simplier they could source it on their own.

No need to defend Sara, she's perfectly fine at taking up for herself and will no doubt try to poison me with polonium (or something equally exotic) slipped into my chicken tikka masala during our next dinner together.

Thanks for the comments. Standing by for more....

All The Best,

Tom

Hey Tom, I'll take a crack at it.

First off.  What made your design team decide to go with an internal power supply on the GB8.  Wouldn't the reduced complexity and parts count help the bottom line?

Also, any reason you guys decided to ship it out with the DPS4 power supply?  The manual makes mention of the DPS3.  Is the DPS4 only recommended for the larger frame versions of the GB8?

The decision to add a GRP/AUX flip that also flips the inserts to  the auxes was a good one I might add.  It also would have been nice if the TRS jacks flipped to the XLRs to be compatible with most drive snakes.  Not a huge deal...

None-the-less, I must admit this console has won me over and I want want for myself.  Though, I think a 40 channel would do and a bit lighter case!  

Quote:

Anyone doing their job well get's a vote from me...  Hey, just like her profile says... she get's us Gear and Beer.  No complaints here!

[/quote]

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2006, 10:45:03 pm »

Tom, I have a question regarding the power supplies for the GB series consoles.

Living in Phoenix, it is hot as hell!  It is not uncommon to have 115+'F here during the summer.  The big boys in town that have a series five and SM24 console have to use giant fans in front of the power supplies to keep them cool here during the summer.  I think this is why we see so many more Yamaha boards here while other areas seem to have a lot more Soundcraft.  Are these newer power suppies efficient enough at cooling that they can handle our extreme temperatures here with out worry?  Being in the market for one more analogue console for little stuff I would love to be able to get a GB series because they fit the need but I am worried about the heat with them.

Please let us know how these would fair in really extreme conditions such as an outdoor gig in July here with 110+' weather.

Thanks,
Ryan Jenkins
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Ryan Lantzy

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2006, 11:07:53 pm »

Tom Der wrote on Thu, 30 November 2006 22:24

These days switch mode supplies are dependable enough so you've seen us and Midas start using them in our lower mid-range consoles. You still have to make sure that you properly implement it so as not to introduce radiated noise from the supply in to the audio buses.

Interesting.  Insight like this is something end users almost never get.  Glad we have this outlet for information like this.

Quote:

The DPS3 is esentially not much more than the PSU assembly from the GB series mounted in a chassis.

My gut says that we accidentally shipped 2 DPS4 supplies (instead of 1 DPS3 and DPS4)when we sent the MH2 and GB8 to Bennett. The DPS4 is currently only used as a spare PSU to the MH2. I'm not sure if the voltages and pins are identical between the two.

Umm... well the DPS4 does work with the GB8...  Very Happy  I've used it for the last several outings with the console and no magic smoke.  Hope this doesn't anger anyone.  -ducks-

I did check the voltages on the spec sheets before I did so and it seemed compatible.  I'm guessing the DPS4 is a switch mode as well... it's very light.  I like when I can lift a power supply without breaking my wrists.  My DCP-200 for the Spirit 8 is a tank.

Quote:

I agonized a bit about whether to offer it in a tourpack configuration with case or not since the case on this level of console represents a significant portion of the console cost.

Nah, I think it's a good thing... with all the traveling it's doing you might as well protect it properly.

Quote:

No need to defend Sara, she's perfectly fine at taking up for herself and will no doubt try to poison me with polonium (or something equally exotic) slipped into my chicken tikka masala during our next dinner together.

Yikes... I'll be sure to have my mail scanned before I open it!

Thanks for the info Tom.

Ryan Lantzy

Tom Der

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2006, 11:15:06 pm »

I think, key word being think, that GB consoles should fair better than larger consoles in this respect. Partly due to the fact they are simpler (no logic circuits to speak of, no CPU, etc..), and have lower current draw and partly due to the fact that the switch mode power supplies are going to be more effecient and generate less heat.

We've sold an awful lot of these consoles for a variety of uses and I know for sure some of these are being used in southern parts of Texas where it has got to get close to Phoenix in terms of heat so they should be fine at 115 degrees but I'm not sure if we've done environmental testing to confirm that.

I'm always one to say the proof is when it's actually used in situ with sun, heat, etc... and see what happens. Perhaps not the most confidence inspiring answer but an honest one. Hopefully other LAB members might toss in their experiences and i'll double check with the UK factory and see if they have any official operating parameters for the console.

Best Regards,

Tom

Living in Phoenix, it is hot as hell!  It is not uncommon to have 115+'F here during the summer.  The big boys in town that have a series five and SM24 console have to use giant fans in front of the power supplies to keep them cool here during the summer.  I think this is why we see so many more Yamaha boards here while other areas seem to have a lot more Soundcraft.  Are these newer power suppies efficient enough at cooling that they can handle our extreme temperatures here with out worry?  Being in the market for one more analogue console for little stuff I would love to be able to get a GB series because they fit the need but I am worried about the heat with them.

Please let us know how these would fair in really extreme conditions such as an outdoor gig in July here with 110+' weather.

Thanks,
Ryan Jenkins[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 14 queries.