ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: TT24 - Part 2  (Read 67114 times)

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: TT24 - Part 2
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2006, 01:58:35 PM »

Lee Jacobson wrote on Mon, 09 October 2006 20:02

If it did everything it was advertised to, never locked up, had zero software bugs, and much more routing flexibility, it'd be a real contender.

I notice how half your points have to do with reliability, although obviously that's on your mind given recent events, it's kind of what I see as the major issue across the entire digi desk market. Sure, some people are concerned about sound quality, but more often than not the flexibility and "band for the buck" of a digidesk far outweighs any minimal issues with sonic performance. 'Sides, if you don't like the preamps, bring different ones!

So it comes down to reliability, and especially because there's so much consolidation in this single surface. I think there's a lot of future here, and certainly the potential for a digital desk to be even more reliable than an analog system (fewer interconnections, and with processing on stage you can lose the whole FOH surface and replace it with another in a matter of minutes). I think there's a while to go, though, especially in the lower end market.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2006, 10:21:20 PM »

Lee-

The fault I see with the TT24 is the long reboot time you experienced.  Other than that, the failures aint about the desk.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 12:58:05 AM »

Quote:

...The fault I see with the TT24 is the long reboot time you experienced...

I've clocked the TT24 reboot at six seconds. Repeatedly. I don't think Lee's is working up to snuff.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2006, 09:25:59 AM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Wed, 11 October 2006 05:58

Quote:

...The fault I see with the TT24 is the long reboot time you experienced...

I've clocked the TT24 reboot at six seconds. Repeatedly. I don't think Lee's is working up to snuff.

-Bink

I agree. We had a Demo TT24 at my shop for a while also... We turned it on and off at multiple times and clocked it... the 6 seconds that bink said.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2006, 10:52:34 AM »

Tim,

I agree. I'll even accept your insinuation that the failure was mine. I failed to make 100% sure all the vendors were not using my power. I failed to check that after I lost the circuit. I have fixed that end now, with the city folks. They now know the vendors are in no way to use my power. I even went as far as a "first offence= unplugged, second offence= end of cable cut off" letter to the vendors, which also clearly explained why my power needed to be for the stage/sound, as well as exactly where their power was, and how much lenth~cable they needed to bring to reach same. In the end, my failures to make 100% certain my power was not compromised led to losing one circuit, repeatedly..... That said, and this is more my point: the self powered cabs, RF rack, EQ rack, and 01v used to replace the TT24 all fired right back up, while the TT24 did not. I put this into the "DRPA" category. The DRPA, as we all know, has those driver-killing pops if you power it down prior to the amps. The response from dbx has been "don't do that". Well, sometimes shit happens....  In a perfect world, I bet the TT24 would not have given me this particular issue. That said, it was a show, and when we lost power for a sec, the desk failed to restart. I can't rely on the desk as a result. Short sighted on my part?? Maybe. The 01v series has never let me down, not once in 5+ years of use, not one time. Never. Not once....

Lee
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2006, 03:52:16 PM »

Lee-

You're an 'on top of it' kind of guy, based on the posts I've read.  Actually I was surprised that the power thing got away from you.  Oh well, shit happens, life goes on.  I kind of like the "off with their heads" for power thieves...

The 2 lessons (for me, anyway) from your experience are: 1) Yes, boss, we REALLY need this $400 UPS thing for All That Is Digital; and 2) the TT24 exhibits a lack of 'real world use' robustness for some users.  Sorry it happened to you, and very glad you had backup.

Good luck, and let us know how it sorts out...

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2006, 08:50:26 PM »

Tim,

Well thank you for that. As for how/why the power got away from me, long story. In the end, however, the buck stops with me. I fukt up. I would have had plenty O' power for the gig had it not been for the candy guy. That issue has been "cleared up" for further shows. I suppose since this issue had a known cause, I will use the TT24 for more shows and see what she does. I will also BRING the 01v, not leave it at my shop. Thank God this event was about 4 miles from said shop. I really don't think poorly of the TT24 here at all. I am trying to write a true, accurate, fluff-free road test of the thing. Bumps and all. When shit happens, or bothers me, I'm gonna write about it. Otherwise, it'd be just an ad....

Lee
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2006, 09:35:26 PM »

Lee Jacobson wrote on Wed, 11 October 2006 20:50

I really don't think poorly of the TT24 here at all. I am trying to write a true, accurate, fluff-free road test of the thing. Bumps and all. When shit happens, or bothers me, I'm gonna write about it. Otherwise, it'd be just an ad....

Lee
And thank you for that. As a side note I think with all digital consoles it is worth the effort and expense to put a UPS on them. That includes the 01v. whether it boots reliably or not, it shouldn't have to boot at all. Even with plenty of power, under the control of the sound department, I always have a UPS. It doesn't have to be a big one, it doesn't need to last for 20 minutes, it only needs to last for the 30 sec to 2 minutes it takes to reestablish power, because shit does happen.

Again, thanks for the honest response.

Mac

Rob Spence

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2006, 10:07:59 PM »

Ever since I started having digital bits in my kit I have been using UPS for the mix position. For these size desks it doesn't take a very big one to keep it alive.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Rob Spence

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2006, 10:28:51 PM »

I have been burned by surprise power steelers in the past too. Now I am careful where I run power and with my Powercon stuff, the only places there are duplexes are for performer power and where I need to plug in stuff. It makes it easier to supervise.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.