ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Views and opinions on Leprecon LM850?  (Read 2138 times)

Al Limberg

Views and opinions on Leprecon LM850?
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:07:24 PM »

Hi all -  let me preface this by saying that lighting is definitely a secondary (but essential) part of my business. You can only get by with an 8 channel controller for so long.  I was always taken with the Leprecon LM850 and came across one at a fairly reaasonable price this summer.  Unfortunately in transit the master and channel 1 faders were both broken.  It is one of the LM850s that has the midi/analog capability plus DMX.  Since Leprecon is only about an hour from me I decided to have them take a look at it and recommend any necessary repairs to put it back in A-1 condition.  Well, yesterday the estimate came via phone message - $360!  Now I'm in a quandary as to whether to put my $$ into the 850 in primo refurbed condition or to maybe shop for something new in the same price range as the repair.  If its any help, I have no intention of controlling any movers with the 850, only dimmers and perhaps a half dozen color changers down the raod a ways.  Any input is more than welcome!

?;o)
Al
p.s.  For anyopne unfamiliar with the LM850, it has 54 channels in 3 banks of 18 plus 100 scene memories, 100 'song' memories, and a pretty fair array of other features.  On the other hand, it was introduced long before things like moving fixtures and lacks a joystick etc. (again, not a major concern for my application).
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Matthew Morgan

Re: Views and opinions on Leprecon LM850?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 11:34:04 AM »

If it does what you need, I would certainly pay to have the repairs done. I doubt you will find something that does all of that for the price of those repairs. Lighting isn't my specialty, but I haven't seen or herd of any small lighting consoles, that do all of that for around 400 bucks. Others could probably tell you more, but I would go with the repairs.

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:19:49 AM »

I would get it fixed. Leprecon builds a pretty good product, and having them go over the entire board and fix it like new for only $360 is a good deal. You would be hard pressed to find a used 12 chan DMX 2 scene board for that price!

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Al Limberg

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:43:40 PM »

Thanx for the replies guys.  I know you're a Leprecon fan Craig and I was hoping you'd jump in.  I'll give them a shout and a go ahead today.

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 12:43:41 AM »

Quote:

I know you're a Leprecon fan Craig and I was hoping you'd jump in.

I'm also a Frog, Hog,  and GrandMA fan! (after all, who doesn't love their Grandma?) Smile

I'm hoping that Zero 88 will team up with Baxter to make a pocket sized console, so I can say the phrase "I have a Frog in my pocket in case my Hog dies!"   Laughing

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.