ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TC Electronic C300  (Read 96265 times)

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: TC Electronic C300
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 07:15:50 PM »

Just hours ago I gave the C300 a workout in terms of transparency... Compressing acoustic guitar 3-6dB without making it sound nasty and dull is a real chore for most comps. The C300 passed with flying colors... I put its sonic quality for acoustic guitar right up with the FMR RNC which I had previously thought was the most transparent compressor available for less than several thousand dollars. This baby makes me look good!

Here's a photo of it at work (Oooh! Action shot!):
index.php/fa/6205/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

John Chiara

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 11:20:35 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 19:15

Just hours ago I gave the C300 a workout in terms of transparency... Compressing acoustic guitar 3-6dB without making it sound nasty and dull is a real chore for most comps. The C300 passed with flying colors... I put its sonic quality for acoustic guitar right up with the FMR RNC which I had previously thought was the most transparent compressor available for less than several thousand dollars. This baby makes me look good!

That's saying a lot. I slapped an RNC on an acoustic at 2 shows this week and boy did it make it come alive. I would check out a C300 based on that comparison.

"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Danny Thompson

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »

After reading this thread I decided to purchase two of these. I can't wait to try them out.
Danny

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 01:19:59 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 18:15

..I put its sonic quality for acoustic guitar right up with the FMR RNC which I had previously thought was the most transparent compressor available for less than several thousand dollars.

Hey Bennett, how close would you rate the FMR or C300 to a BSS, Klark, or Drawmer?
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »

I've never done a side by side comparison. The RNC obviously has a disadvantage over "brand name" comps because it's got a wall wart and limited metering, etc. The C300 is also lacking a bunch of control, but it's a lot easier to haul around.

In terms of sound quality, the RNC and C300 both don't have a sound to them. I've never used the BSS, but Klark and Drawmer certainly have their own "thing", which isn't necessarily bad. I've got dbx in my A FOH because I like that sound, but if I'm compressing extremely hi-fi acoustic sources I don't want it, and personally I'd be happy to reach for one of these two budget comps. Were I buying something to take out to shows where other engineers would be using it, I'd probably find something a little more "rider friendly".
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Jon McDowell

• http://jbe-inc.com
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 04:40:40 PM »

Ok, you've got my curiosity going. Just ordered 2 units to try with Saliva next Thursday and Jimmy Van Zant next Saturday.

Danny Thompson

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2006, 01:57:58 PM »

I got to use my new C 300 compressors last night. Let me say thanks to the guys that did the review here. I purchased them as a direct result of this thread.

Previously I had a DBX 266, JBL(forgot the model) and a Presonus ACP 8. The C300 outshines all of these in my opinion. I used them on Kick, Bass, Guitar/Keys sub group and Vocal sub group.
Everything was straight forward and easy to setup. The only "issue" was the vocal group. The band that I mix has 6 members and ALL sing. As you can imagine each one has different mic techniques etc....   so I did a fair amount of tweaking as the night went on. This is not the compressors fault, just the situation.

I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend this unit.

Thanks again
Danny

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2006, 02:11:29 PM »

Getting a trial unit from the local TC Electronic dealer to try out for a show.

I realy think this will make my setups and set-changes faster. dial in the general idea, then tweak it. I realy like it. Granted its more lazy. but for those 2 minute line checks something like this will realy shine.

Its not for every show. But it has its market, and i don't see anything that can compete with it right now. Good Price, good idea. I'm almost sold without hearing it.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Bob Leonard

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 07:51:32 PM »

Ok, I'm very into the TC quality and own some TC units so I'm sold if someone could be more specific with;

1. The difference between the DBX 166-266 units.

2. Has anyone compared the TC to a Focusrite Compounder, my current mid line compressor of choice for vocals and instruments.

I own all of the above so if I can be convinced then I would start with one of my DBX 166 compressors. Very Happy

Thanks for the great review so far.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Tom Reid

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 10:47:46 AM »

I've used a pair of C300s in the wild for a couple months now.
Damn I like these widgets.

Some could say these are the compressor for dummies, since most of the presets give decent results.

The gates really shine. I've been able to get some serious after thump ring that cuts off immediately with big woofers and tiny rooms.  

I've been experimenting with some hard limiting to lead vox with really nice results.

$600 for a total drum gate kit ain't bad either.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.