ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TC Electronic C300  (Read 96266 times)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: TC Electronic C300
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 09:30:05 PM »

HI Karl,
I've used the C300 on lead vocals 1 time so far. It did a very good job. I ran the input hot to see how it handled. I was hitting the Overload light a few times and didnt even hear it. I was also comping very hard. As bennett says its very transparent.

I'd say its on par with the 1066 and will blow the 166/266 away.

Gate wise. I dont have anything better yet, so I wouldnt know.

Overall, I'd say its a great comp for the money. Im not in any rush to buy one though. They are new on the market, so I dont think ryders will have them yet, but who knows what the future holds...

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Tom Reid

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 11:03:40 AM »

I was so impresssed with the review I ran out and bought two of these widgets.

So far I've assigned them kik gate, snare gate, bass comp, money channel comp.

I concur with the bass amp 2' from the kik mic.  I was able to gate the kik adeqautely and keep the resonance out of the mic, at the same time preserving some klick.

My biggest surprise was bass guitar compression.  Normally I'd lose the very bottom or the fret noise trying to comp a bass down with a 1046.  A few tweeks on the C300 bass guitar preset and I've got nice up bass 'air' and solid rumble.

Besides, the light show is cool, put a pair together in a rack, you'll look like the mad scientist you know you want to be.

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Corey Painter

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 02:17:01 AM »

[quote title=Tom Reid wrote on Mon, 04 September 2006 17:03]I was so impressed with the review I ran out and bought two of these widgets.

Ditto !!    I had to go out & get one too. Very Happy   I will certainly be buying another one ....  

That's good to know about the 'Bass gtr' preset, I was gonna try that out next.

I've been inserting it in stereo/serial mode on lead vox with excellent results.  It's definitely better than the compression on the 01v96 (at least on vox anyway), I haven't tried it anywhere else yet.

The thing I've been the most impressed with is the de-esser !  I was a little leery since it only has 2 presets & no way to adjust the frequency, but this thing Rules (at least on the 3-4 vocalists I've used it on so far).

It's worth 190.00 bucks for the de-esser alone IMO !!

FWIW,

Corey Painter

Matt Johnson

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 10:09:52 AM »

I'm sort of intrigued by the 'mix' knob.  What have your experiences been with that?  Regardless, I hope TC lets you keep your test unit because you just sold another one for them.   Razz

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 06:34:42 PM »

The mix knob controls how much of the compressor is going back into the signal to the board. I just leave it at 100%. Sounds good enough there and works.

Though, I must say, after using this comp more and more it's really growing on me. Who knows, maybe Ill buy one or 2. It really impresses me, and for the money it cant be beaten. It seems to be up to any task, little or small.

Im going to try it on bass guitar this weekend. Ill report back and tell you how much it rocked there too. Cool

Also, Ive been fooling around with it here at my house and Ive gotta say it works great on my TV too. Very Happy I cant stand the ~20db difference between some channels, so I had it inserted between my VCR and home theatre system and it rocked. All the levels were the same and I wasn't constantly adjusting the volume from channel to channel. But, thats off topic. Razz

I also ran some tests here at home with my voice. Using an sm58 and some headphones I played around with it. Full compression, and it still sounds fine. Ive gotta admit, its about as good, if not better sounding then my dbx 1046s! Too bad theres no brick wall limiter on it. Once or twice I was able to get past the comp and clip the channel on my mixer. But, hopefully you wont be running things that hot at your gigs. Wink

Thats all for now!

Evan

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 06:48:30 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Thu, 07 September 2006 18:34

The mix knob controls how much of the compressor is going back into the signal to the board. I just leave it at 100%. Sounds good enough there and works.

Try it on a drum submix, Evan. Makes it super easy to get full mixes without losing punch.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 07:54:56 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Thu, 07 September 2006 18:48

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Thu, 07 September 2006 18:34

Try it on a drum submix, Evan. Makes it super easy to get full mixes without losing punch.

Hm, I think I need a console with busses first.

*cough cough* Wink

Evan

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 07:14:25 PM »

Evan: out of curiousity, have you used the C300 on groups with screamers? My main trouble with them I think is partially channel clipping which can't be avoided too much with that kind of thing, but I was also wondering if the C300 would be a more musical but still powerful enough tool for the screaming/singing than, say, my symetrix 421m, which is more of a automatic signal leveling device than anything. (Not to mention the symetrix has a nasty habit of raising the gain waaay too much when the band isn't talking causing gain/hiss unless the gate isn't set just right).

-Dan
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 09:10:44 PM »

YES! I've been using it on everything.

It did a great job with the screamers. I hit it hard too. I was hitting -18db on the C300 and you could hardly tell. It's on the same level as my 1046's! And, when you arent hitting it, its invisible in the chain. I love this thing.

I used it on toms and snare last night. It had the perfect attack and release times. Also, unlike with my 266xl, the C300's gate only opened when the drummer hit the toms. The 266xl liked to open when the drummer started pounding on the cymbals.

It worked great on snare too. Hi hat didnt effect it. The gate was quick enough to open as the drummer hit the snare and then close right away.

Im thinking about buying a few of these...

Evan

Evan Kirkendall

Re: TC Electronic C300 Update
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 04:51:22 PM »

Just an update:
After using the C300's for the past few months I fell in love with them and decided to buy a pair for myself. TC Electronic was really cool about everything and got me a great deal on them. I cant wait to get them!

Evan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.