ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your thoughts on small mixers and question  (Read 2071 times)

Matt Jarema

Your thoughts on small mixers and question
« on: July 18, 2006, 01:32:21 PM »

I was just wondering what you guys think about smaller mixers for small band/venue use..What would you consider quality between the following ten channel or so mixers:
Yamaha mg series
Mackie VLZ
Soundcraft FX series
Allen and Heath mixwizard 12:2

I've been researching the manuals..I'm not looking to buy anything but just wanted to pick your brain on this..We've been using a soundcraft fx8..I like it but the aux bus is post eq (channel strip)..I though it was weird that the aux is pre fader but post eq.  I always thought that pre fader meant pre eq as well..So far everything has been fine but I don't want to run into problems with this down the road in small rooms..I play guitar in the band and also run the sound..I can reach for the 31 band eqs for our monitors but a quick fix might be just tuning the onboard eq..I don't want to get into that habit because the sound out front might turn to crap..Thanks, MJ

Dean Reed

Re: Your thoughts on small mixers and question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:52:50 PM »

Not sure you want to have that few of channels.  I recently picked up a Yamaha MG16fx and still we submix the drums on a Mackie board.  In smaller gig where we don't mic all the drums we fill the board's channels (I use outboard effects so two channels are used for delay and reverb).  

You'll find here that everyone likes A&H.....I do too.  But didn't have that extra cash at this time.  Plus being an aging musician, I don't see me expanding into a 24/36 channel board.  Think more channels, and I think you'll be happier in the long run.

I like my Yami, by the way.  No complaints from other band mates.

Dean

Fred Garrett

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:53:31 PM »

Unless one of your other options has 4 point, dual sweep eq's on the inputs, I would prefer the MixWiz.

Brian Houchin

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 02:03:18 PM »

MattyJarema wrote on Tue, 18 July 2006 12:32

I can reach for the 31 band eqs for our monitors but a quick fix might be just tuning the onboard eq..I don't want to get into that habit because the sound out front might turn to crap..Thanks, MJ

Yeah, don't do that...if you need adjust the monitors, use the 31 band EQ you have on them.

You can get a board modified to make an aux (or auxes) pre EQ if they aren't already.

Get a board with dual sweepable mids!
Did Beethoven need a PA?

Scott Kraft

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 05:05:24 PM »

Allen & Heath Mix Wiz 16:2 V3...you won't be sorry!  Cool

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »

Mackie onyx 1640 is worth a look too.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Mark Coward

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 05:36:35 PM »

I actually prefer mon/pre sends to be post EQ. Some of the Mackie boards have this as a modifiable option with some solder work inside.

While I agree with using a graphic to control feedback etc., in most cases I want the same channel EQ tweaks in my monitor. For example, my voice is quite bass heavy, and even with an HPF engaged I usually end up cutting the bass drastically. With pre-EQ monitor sends, I wouldn't want to use the GEQ to tweak just for my voice at the expense of other voices & instruments. IMHO, the monitor system would be EQ'd by a GEQ to be as flat as possible while allowing for room response and feedback control. Granted that it's not going to have as wide a response as the mains, as most cut more LF from the monitors, still it should be in the ballpark as far as individual channel EQ requirements.

dave stojan

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 05:39:19 PM »

If you have some spare channels you can use a Y splitter to route each vocal mic into 2 channels - one for FOH and one for monitors - giving you the best of both worlds.  Very Happy
Vote Quimby
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.