ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scan Converter recommendations  (Read 2564 times)

hollis

Scan Converter recommendations
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:16:27 pm »

I'm looking for a SC mostly for PPT presentations to analog SD NTSC, to be front projected on a large screen in a 700 seat theatre. Don't need TOO much complexity, but do need better than consumer quality.

Budget is $1000 - $2000.

How are the Scan Do's and more expensive TV One's?? I've seen Folsom ImagePro and Extron USP 405 mentioned and they are a little out of budget (but certainly would take care of things!). Do you recommend any lower end from Kramer/Extron?

Thanks for your recommendations.
Andrew Hollis
New World Symphony

Don Boone

Re: Scan Converter recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 04:14:31 pm »

Why not just connect the PC to the projector?
NTSC has about 1/4 the resolution of XGA.

Don

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 05:32:10 pm »

Andrew,

We use several of the Communications Specialties "Scan Do Select" units. They work very well and are great units, I think they even fall right in your price range.

If it were possible, I would highly recommend trying to get the XGA video signal up to the projector and displaying that since it will be a much better quality picture. But if you have to do SD NTSC, the Scan Do Select's work very well.

If you are looking at better ways to move that hi-res signal around, have a look at the products from Meridian Technologies. Transmit all sorts of hi-res formats via a single fiber-optic cable... Meridian Technologies makes great products too!

Good luck!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

hollis

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 02:08:32 pm »

Don Boone wrote on Tue, 18 July 2006 16:14

Why not just connect the PC to the projector?
NTSC has about 1/4 the resolution of XGA.

That would be ideal, but often times the PPT has to be mixed live (fade transitions) with an NTSC source. If there is a better way to do this then I am all ears.

Quote:

If you are looking at better ways to move that hi-res signal around, have a look at the products from Meridian Technologies. Transmit all sorts of hi-res formats via a single fiber-optic cable... Meridian Technologies makes great products too!]

Looks cool, where do they start MSRP for the lower end 3 channel units?
Andrew Hollis
New World Symphony

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 05:17:27 pm »

The best option might be a seamless switcher from Analog Way, Extron, Folsom Research, FSR, etc.  These devices combine switching and scaling such that you can select between multiple sources of different formats and/or resolutions and get a VGA output at a selected resolution (normally the native resolution of the projector) for any selected source.  More basic units use cuts but some units allow you to select between various transitions types (cuts, fades and wipes) and transition times, have s stored graphic and in some cases even have some keying and T-bar control capabilities available.

As far as scan converters, there are a number of good ones out there.  The larger the image, the more apparent any artifacts from scan conversion so don't skimp here.  For projects with tight budgets I often look at the TVOne TV One-Task products.  These are more stripped down versions intended for specific applications.  By taking out some of the flexibility and most of the bells and whistles, if they have a device that fits the specific application it is often a cost effective solution.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Don Boone

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 11:13:29 am »

A seamless switcher is the way to go if you are mixing live video. We have installed a few (we don't do much church work where most of the market for these are) but our rental dept uses them for almost video jobs now. Their Analog way unit is a little flakey and sometimes has to be 'rebooted'. The FSR units which are the same as the Folsom have been rock solid. (I think the FSR/Folsom alliance dissolved when BARCO bought Folsom)
While I am a major fan of Extron products we have had some performance issues with Extron seamless switchers.

Roland/Edirol has an interesting new unit but I haven't seen it in action.

Don

Leroy Dunning

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 01:33:07 pm »

I agree that a seamless switcher is the right way to do things, in addition to the items listed you may want to look at some of the Kramer offereings (ie 724XL) they aren't bad units, and should fit your budget.

If you want to stick with the scan converter idea you may also want to look at the Folsom SmartVIEW or ViewMAX.  They don't have the scaler and multiple inputs like the ImagePRO, they're just a down converter.  So one would assume they should be substantially cheaper.

Cheers,
Leroy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.