ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosound Shootout  (Read 32223 times)

Wayne Parham

Prosound Shootout
« on: July 13, 2006, 02:19:08 PM »

Seems to me that the participants here pride themselves as being people that seek the truth, and discount idle chatter, sales rhetoric or unsubstantiated claims.

Lets do another Prosound Shootout.  We did one last year in Tulsa and it was a lot of fun, we'll do another one in October or we can have one before then.  I don't care where or who puts it on.

Seems to me that's the best way to see what works best.  Lots of fun too.  What say you?
Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Raj Sookraj

Re: Prosound Shootout
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 05:31:36 PM »

Please let it be in the Northeast pleeeeeeeeeeeeease.  I will be there if it is. Very Happy

Wayne Parham

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 06:18:18 PM »

Set one up!  I'll be there with some 12Pi basshorns.  Maybe some people will bring LABhorns, and I can show you how easy it is to install cooling plugs, and how much better LABhorns work with them installed.
Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 08:10:23 PM »

Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 18:18

and I can show you how easy it is to install cooling plugs, and how much better LABhorns work with them installed.

So who is going to pay for the drivers that fail in this "test", and what would you use as a test signal?  Failure is the only way to prove that your method is better-unless again you like sinewaves as a source.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Raj Sookraj

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 10:11:03 PM »

Why can't you compare speakers using a sinewave generator?

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 10:26:54 PM »

Try putting a sinewave (low freq) into a loudspeaker and walk around a bit.  If inside, room modes will become VERY apparent.  A sinewave heats up a loudspeaker a lot faster than music does.

The idea is using the product the way it is intended to be used.  It is like a lot of manufacturers stating the highest SPL that a particular loudspeaker will reproduce.  Is that what you really want to see?  What if it has a high spike completely out of its' intended operating range?  I like to know what a product can produce across its' intended range of operation, not just a note or two.

The whole idea about not using sine waves is regarding the effectiveness of the  heat exchanger when used with real music and used in a stacked configuration in which the heat has no place to go.  The idea of using a 2x4 inbetween the cabinets might help, UNTILL the cabinets walk off due to the lack of contact area.  Subs producing that type of level over time WILL move around, unless you use some sort of interlocking devices or rubber mats or straps etc to keep them in place.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Wayne Parham

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 01:34:42 AM »

The issue of placement is a whole other issue.  When cabinets are standing near each other, I recommend having a few inches free space between them.  If stacked, a pallet of 2x4's can be used to separate them.  This has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the heat exchanger, and certainly the heat build-up of a worse-case placement is still better than the heat build-up inside the motor of a LAB12 with no cooling plug installed.
Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Wayne Parham

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 01:40:26 AM »

You'll notice thermal effects long before failure, in the form of compression and response anomalies caused by electro-mechanical parameter shifts, specifically Re.
Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Sean Brown

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:07:54 AM »

So, what's up?  Is there going to be another sub shootout or not?  If so, will there be any dual 18's present to compare?

Thanks

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 10:32:31 AM »

Have it somewhere in the Philadelphia PA or Baltimore MD, or Jersey area and I am in if I am free.

I've got yorkville ls608's if anyone is interested in hearing them...
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.