ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New poweramp  (Read 3199 times)

Jan Olav Ueland

New poweramp
« on: October 17, 2004, 07:23:39 AM »

Hey

I

Tom Young

Re: New poweramp
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 10:08:22 PM »

If you provide more info I'm sure myself and others would take the time to look and perhaps offer an opinion.

What is the manufacturer's name ? (this is a good place to start).
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Jan Olav Ueland

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 07:01:18 AM »

The name of the company is MC2 you could find information abaut this company and the poweramp (E15) on this page: http://www.mc2-audio.co.uk

Hope this could help, I think that this forum is good, in Norway church sound is a little thing, and I am locking forward to get some thought form people that think in the same direction as my selves.

Jan Olav

Phil Ouellette

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 11:01:06 AM »

If you are getting D&B speakers then I would stick with their amps.  They have a lot of built in processing that helps you get the best performance out of the speakers.  You could recreate that with outboard gear, but unless you are saving a huge amount of money (and the extra money to go with a pure D&b system just isn't there), I'd go with D&B amps.

Phil

Jan Olav Ueland

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 12:20:13 PM »

I totally agree whit you, but a D&B amp cost very much in Norway this E15 cost 2300$ and a new D&B amp cost 5384$. We do not have money fore a so expensive amp in our church.  

Jan Olav

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 11:23:08 PM »

Even though that may be so, have you tottally investigated how much it will cost to use external dsp's to bring back the functionality? and how much it will cost to hire someone to come do it? I personally would think hard about not using there amps.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Rob Warren

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 06:26:16 PM »

D&B is very linked to their own amps because it's the DSP built into the amp.  So you're not just getting an amp but the DSP too.  I'm actually surprised they will sell you the speakers without buying the amps.  The thing is D&B speakers are using their amps/processing to give you matched quality like powered boxes.  Except this way your guts are in a rack not all in the cabinets.  Very cool for service ability.
  If I could not afford to get the entire package then I would have to consider going with a different speaker all together that fits my budget.
Rob

Jan Olav Ueland

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 07:30:19 AM »

To day I am using a PLX 1602 as power amp. This sounds good, but I think that the E 15 is a better amp, and would like to buy it since I need a new amp. I am not using a DSP to day. I think that the MAX sounds good whitout a DSP, and it is in a church, not a conserthall.

Jan Olav

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 03:39:30 PM »

I am not familiar with D&B's terms, but not using there amp in this case will vary in consequence from very degraded audio quality to you possibly blowing the system and having limited options due to you not using there whole system as i am sure they advise. I would talk to them directly and ask what other amp/process combinations they recommend, I doubt there will be any, but if there are, you can feel semi safe in using another amp/proc. You do really need to be running processors on these boxes though, They also need to be properly configured. Again, I don't think they recommend any other proc's/amps for there stuff.

I would recommend as well that if you cant afford the whole system, to buy something else thats not so coupled to the processors (this is the same as some of meyers stuff as well as nexos whole line, relies on there own procs to work properly.)

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Mats Fagerkull

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »

I agree, one would be better served by buying the speaker+amp package.

However it used to be that the MAX-series (only) were actually made to be (almost) equally well driven with any other amp. This can have been changed, but previously it wouldn't been any surprise to see MAX speakers driven with other amps in passive mode. What you lost was the protection and with that 3db max SPL cmp to using d&b amp/processing.

But otherwise you are probably correct that a B/C/E-series speaker would never be sold without the amp/processor.

/mats

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.