ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noisy DBX graphic  (Read 1171 times)

DAVID_L_PERRY

• http://www.prosoundhire.co.uk
Noisy DBX graphic
« on: June 26, 2006, 05:17:08 AM »

I have just noticed my DBX mono 131 band graphic is producing a lot of background noise when any of the sliders are pushed up or down.

When the sliders are in the zero detent the system is silent, but if I drop or raise any of the sliders the corresponding freq noise is lifted in the mix...I cant understand why dropping a freq is creating noise at that freq.. Rolling Eyes

I only came to notice this as I have been re-racking my FOH this weekend to accomodate my Ultradrive at FOH position. I am now using the Ultradrive internal EQ for my main Pa system eq and will only be using the DBX to provide tune up / feedback correction on the fly adjustments to suit room variations.

The DBX is inline before the Ultradrive
Any body have any ideas why this would be producing noise when the sliders are dropped...

Dave

dave stojan

Re: Noisy DBX graphic
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:34:30 AM »

1) Because it's broken.

2) Because either direction there's a gain; additive or subtractive.

It's Monday morning - better guesses later in the week  Surprised
Vote Quimby

DAVID_L_PERRY

• http://www.prosoundhire.co.uk
Re: Noisy DBX graphic
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 08:41:02 AM »

Pretty certain something is very wrong with this unit now...
Had a proper mess around last night while I had the rack out.

If anybody else has one of these DBX131 graphics can they double check this:-

Even with the DBX eq in bypass mode the noise is present when I raise or drop the eq sliders. It does not change the tone in bypass mode, just ads noise..When all sliders are zero detented the unit is silent

I tried the same with my cheap china Monitor graphics (Behringer FBQ3102's) and they work as expected, a little noise is added when a freq band is boosted, but not when its dropped, and the noise is removed as soon as the unit is bypassed.

DBX my arse...to be fair it is the cheap end of their stuff...but never had a problem with the cheap Behringer china boys..... Very Happy

Trying to sort out warranty contact with DBX in the UK so will keep you informed as the unit is only about 8 months old

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 17 queries.