ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iLive R72  (Read 9262 times)

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
iLive R72
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »

I'm thinking about putting in the following system in a small install as a try out for some possible mid-sized installs.

iLive R72 controller
iDR 16 stage rack with MMO card to iDR-Dout

For those of you using the R72 how do you like it and more specifically how do you like it for mid-sized channel counts like 32 or 48?
Mark Sexton

System Designer/Operations Manager
Alive Media

Simon Stavenuiter

• Simon Stavenuiter Audio Production
Re: iLive R72
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 06:25:08 AM »

R72 is brilliant and I like it a lot but I know the iLive inside and out. There are not many knobs on this console and for an inexperienced user you may be better off with a T80 surface unless less knobs is a good thing and you only want them to play with faders.
Regards Simon

Simon Stavenuiter Audio Production
0425 795 492
www.simonstav.com

Simon Stavenuiter

• Simon Stavenuiter Audio Production
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 06:27:59 AM »

Also when you set the console up try to use the rotary encoders as much as possible, alt shift for gains, fx sends and auxilaries on rotaries, this will save lots of layer jumping. Also use soft keys for selecting mix on aux and mix on fx send for the same reason.
Regards Simon

Simon Stavenuiter Audio Production
0425 795 492
www.simonstav.com

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »

I'm thinking about putting in the following system in a small install as a try out for some possible mid-sized installs.

iLive R72 controller
iDR 16 stage rack with MMO card to iDR-Dout

For those of you using the R72 how do you like it and more specifically how do you like it for mid-sized channel counts like 32 or 48?

I have a R72 with iDR32.....it fits our touring needs very well indeed....but, as the previous poster suggested you need to know your iLive and have it configured efficiently so as to get the most of your system......I use an editor session on my mackbook pro at the same time allowing me to see/control more layers ......

I am presently using it for FOH and separate monitors with another editor session (wireless) on stage and one surface at FOH..........as the name implies R-72 you can manage 72 faders on the surface at a time......so even addressing 48 ch is not a problem.......although I think the maximum ch count for your spec'd system(iDR16) would total 16 inputs only(8 outs) .....MMO card is outputs only even to expanders......you could wait for Dante..... for full 64 i/o if this is what you need or opt for a larger i/o count iDR....

hope that helps

Ray

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »

I have a R72 with iDR32.....it fits our touring needs very well indeed....but, as the previous poster suggested you need to know your iLive and have it configured efficiently so as to get the most of your system......I use an editor session on my mackbook pro at the same time allowing me to see/control more layers ......

I am presently using it for FOH and separate monitors with another editor session (wireless) on stage and one surface at FOH..........as the name implies R-72 you can manage 72 faders on the surface at a time......so even addressing 48 ch is not a problem.......although I think the maximum ch count for your spec'd system(iDR16) would total 16 inputs only(8 outs) .....MMO card is outputs only even to expanders......you could wait for Dante..... for full 64 i/o if this is what you need or opt for a larger i/o count iDR....

hope that helps

Ray
I'm just looking for AES outputs to possibly run into D6s and shouldn't need more extensive digital outputs for this installation in the future.

With the touring group, what kind of setup are you looking at on stage/ how many of the 32 channels are usually used at one time?

Have any of you guys used the iPad app? We're thinking about that as a possible control option in addition to the control surface.
Mark Sexton

System Designer/Operations Manager
Alive Media

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »

With the touring group, what kind of setup are you looking at on stage/ how many of the 32 channels are usually used at one time?

Have any of you guys used the iPad app? We're thinking about that as a possible control option in addition to the control surface.

Mark, we're using 26 ip channels of which 16 are split/patched to both FOH and MON, we share pre amp gain but each has a separate trim......all other functions are independent....routing/processing etc....

As this tour started before the release of both mixpad app and v 1.80 needed to run it, we are using 2 editor sessions at monitors, one wired and the other wireless.........should anything happen such as loss of connection (wifi mode )I could take over the mon. mix from the foh, I have it accessible from my surface at FOH....never needed to do that though.......we are looking into the mixpad for the next series, but, I would still operate a wired editor session parallel to it just in case......one thing to remember , should you loose connection with the rack, re-connecting would momentarily "freeze" controls on the surface.......that is audio passes fine but any adjustments made to a fader/eq /comp etc. would be delayed by several seconds.......

visit the iLive discussion boards for more ....http://www.allen-heath.com/iliveforum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

hope that helps

Ray

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »

Mark -

I've used the Ipad/Mixpad with an R72 and T112 over the last 2 weeks.  There are a couple of "buggy", but fixable issues (-a "low memory" lockup that is fixed by shutting down any other apps on the ipad, for instance), but all in all, I think it is a fit replacement for laptop/touchpad wireless mixing. 

The app is multitouch, navigation is quick, there are 2 "custom" layers that are configurable.  There are limitations, but they are in the realm of setup & system configuration, live mixing is very do-able, not like laptop mixing.  I think this is what wireless mixing should be.  I mixed a 4 hr gig last night entirely from the ipad, no issues, used 50% of the battery life.

-Tim T       

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
iLive forum issue?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »

I know this is OT but anybody have an issue registering on the Ilive forum?  I've found that the 'submit' button on the registration page takes me to a google search page.  Haven't been able to register at all.

Update-
It seems that the birthdate fields weren't loading correctly and the system wouldn't take my registration without that information.  David Haughton from Allen Heath gave me the clue that the system automatically kicks out to Google from the Captcha system when there is an issue to avoid registration of bots.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:17:05 AM by drew gandy »
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

No Name

• SR Forums
    • Stage Electrics UK
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »

I had a demo of the R72 the other day, and can say that it is now my favorite compact digital desk, closely followed by the Soundcraft Si Compact.

The R72 offers all the same functionality as the full size t-Live, but a smaller surface with more layers.  It has all the features you could possibly need on a console of that scale, is easy to use, relatively inexpensive and sounds a hell of a lot better than an LS9 so it seems like a real alternative to the other small digitals that are now on the market.

I will be going down to an A&H service centre on Friday to demo some other products so if anyone has any questions that want to out to the A&H guys, give me a shout and i'll ask em for you!

Kind Regards,
Adam Finlayson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.