ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Certification  (Read 3765 times)

Austin Parker

Certification
« on: June 25, 2006, 07:56:24 PM »

Just curious to see if anyone holds a CTS-D or a C-EST certification? And if, so how much do you think such a certification has helped you in your career?  I'm thinking of getting a CTS-D certification and would like to hear people reactions / experience with it. Any other certifications that I should consider?
Austin Parker

Designer  of Audio/Video/Control Systems

"Are you with me? Do you get it? If you have to ask what "IT" is, you don't get it"

Brad Weber

Re: Certification
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:43:55 AM »

I think it varies greatly on your experience and the type of work you do or where you want to go.

In an attempt to help establish "qualified" bidders in some quantitative manner, many consultants are starting to require that bidders have CTS-I, CTS-D, NICET-Audio, C-EST, R-ESI, etc. certified personnel to assign to the project in order to qualify to bid.  When I'm putting a project out to bid that may have bidders that I don't know then this is one of the few obhjective personnel qualification criteria that I can use.  So if you do larger bid work then this may be a consideration.  Having the certifications may also increase your value to firms that do this type of work.

If you do not have a lot of experience with designing the systems these programs cover then they can be a great education.  For example, the CTS-D is a good way for an audio person to learn more about projection systems.

You may also find that your experience does not necessarily match everything taught, which is fine as there is often more than one correct or acceptable way to do something and the better certification courses acknowledge that.

However, if you have significant experience in the relevant areas and don't do bid work, then it may be difficult to justify the time and expense required to obtain these certifications.  And if you work almost exclusively in audio then the CTS-D and C-EST include components that may not interest you.

Remember that these are certifications and not licenses like a Low Voltage Contractors license or a PE license.  They are not required by code or the government and these certifications do not replace those licenses.  For installers I would think about getting a low voltage contractor's license first as that may have the most direct value to your clients and employers.

I am definitely interested in others' opinions.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Don Boone

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 05:06:16 PM »

I have the basic CTS and have had it on and off for 20 years.
But that just took about 20 mins taking the on-line test.
I looked at the CTS-D but decided it wasn't worth the time and expense. My boss just got his CTS-D and was really surprised he passed because it is a torturous exam. He actually doesn't do much design work, I do most of it, but we do sell staight design services (that mostly turn into design-build jobs) and it may be helpful in his sales efforts on that front. Ask me again in a year.

Don

Austin Parker

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 06:57:20 PM »

So how hard is this exam? Is the title so coveted that they make the test unbearable?  The only thing that I don't like about the testing is that you must take a "on site" class.. in a class room. Expenses, expenses. When you're an individual without the magic of a company credit card, $900 per test, with the added cost of travel and hotel stays, the lure of such a certification seems to drift away....
Austin Parker

"Are you with me? Do you get it? If you have to ask what "IT" is, you don't get it"

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 11:19:38 AM »

The Basic CTS exam is not that hard if you have basic audio and video knowledge.  That course and exam are all online and are not that much.

The Advanced CTS courses and certifications are indeed relatively expensive and time intensive.  They are fairly intense and there is certainly no guarantee of passing the exam at the end, although InfoComm does offer reduced cost options to retake the specific elements where you had problems and to take the exam again.  Look for some upcoming changes to the CTS-I certification that may make it more useful and cost effective.

On many of the exams the cost and time somewhat depend on where you are.  There are some "on the road" versions of most of the classes and exams, but depending on your location relative to the few such remote offerings they may not reduce the time and cost required any more than going to the regular sessions.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Rick Johnston

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 04:52:25 PM »

I recently got my C-EST certification from the NSCA. If you study the subject material and practice the performance verification requirements it's not easy, but it is doable. I'm told that the pass rate is around 40% for the first attempt.

The company uses my (and the others') certifications during the bid process. The requirement is starting to show up more and more on RFPs.

Regards,
Rick Johnston

Austin Parker

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 08:54:46 PM »

well for those who are inclined, i signed up for the CTS general test from Infocomm. Once I pass that I'm going to take a look at the CTS-D or a variant of such given by the NSCA (as i'm already a member of this organization). Wish me luck!
Austin Parker

Austin Parker

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 08:56:51 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Wed, 28 June 2006 11:19

Look for some upcoming changes to the CTS-I certification that may make it more useful and cost effective.

Do tell...
Austin Parker

Brad Weber

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 03:27:47 PM »

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.  Actually, I can't tell you much more because I don't have any details yet.

InfoComm had asked why people thought they weren't getting the desired response to the CTS-I.  Being as willing as usual to share my opinion, I commented that while there was only one CTS-I program and certification, a typical project actually involved several "levels" of installers.  I looked at the scope of the CTS-I training combined with what I had experienced on projects and from this envisioned breaking the program up into three different levels.  Level 1 could be a sort of Apprentice level that would introduce people to the industry and a construction site and train them for cable pulling, installing mounts, etc.  Level 2 would get more into the signal types and wiring and termination practices and would be for those moving to a true Installer role.  Finally, Level 3 would include aspects such as setting up projectors and sound systems, loading control system programs and managing other installers, more of a Technician or Lead Installer role.

I suggested that a tiered program that followed this general concept might provide more opportunities, give a path for progression and recognition, and would allow the time and financial investment to be spread out and more effectively justified.  In response I was told that I would probably like what they are looking at introducing.  That's all I know at this point.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Austin Parker

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 10:49:45 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Tue, 11 July 2006 15:27

Level 1 could be a sort of Apprentice level that would introduce people to the industry and a construction site and train them for cable pulling, installing mounts, etc.  Level 2 would get more into the signal types and wiring and termination practices and would be for those moving to a true Installer role.  Finally, Level 3 would include aspects such as setting up projectors and sound systems, loading control system programs and managing other installers, more of a Technician or Lead Installer role.

so this brings up another question. i have heard many different variations as to technical experience and "position numbering". for instance, you refer to "level 1" as a beginner and "level 3" as top notch. On the other side i have heard people refer to level 1 as top notch and level 3 as beginner. Can anyone provide some kind of standard? I would hate to tell someone that I am a level 1 but have them interpret it as a beginner...
Austin Parker

Brad Weber

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 12:19:34 AM »

I wasusing those just as generic titles but they do rougly follow the NICET-Audio levels I, II and III descriptions.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.