ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How to keep DJ levels out of the red  (Read 25603 times)

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
Re: How to keep DJ levels out of the red
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »

The Funktion One mixer is ''meant'' to be DJ proof but when ever i've HAD to use one i've had problems all night and again the monitor booth output is far to hot.... WHY do they do this ???

Todd Anisman

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »

This is simple-

A) If you adjust your system Limiters to Brick wall, and your amps are sized correctly, and have proper long term thermal protection in your rig, then you should be able to interface any Mixer.  I just turn the attenuation knob on the DJM stuff almost down, so the Max volume can't clip- The Clip indicators on that console are pre-master attenuator, but the actual clipping occurs in the output stage.  I tell em, one yellow, but find 'em in the red all the time.

On Rane Mixers, the headroom is expansive, so its tougher.  There can be serious level being sent, so again, I setup a brick wall limiter at about +10dBu. 

A&H- same, but again the clip meters are not indicative of clip.  same treatment as the Ranes.

However, by far and wide, the best tactic is this:

Know the names of all the DJ's & talk to them.  I introduce myself to everyone and let them know how the system is setup, where the clip points are, and what I may ask of them during the show.  Very rarely, do I get one who insists on blasting, and if it's an issue, I just find the promoter and let him/her know what's happening.  I never argue with the talent.  If I get yelled at, I'll just tell them to get out of the booth, politely & firmly.  Nad I'll turn a gig down if there are repeat incidents.

T

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 08:06:49 AM »

You can not tell the big name DJ to step up man :-). And they all fucking clip the mixers.
Here is from our David Morales gig.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »

There there eyes if it ant red it ant happening  :'(

Pascal.Pincosy

• SR Forums
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:13 PM »

You can not tell the big name DJ to step up man :-). And they all fucking clip the mixers.
Here is from our David Morales gig.
I suggest you put some delay in his monitors. That will teach Mr Morales to keep it out of the red.  ::)

PS if you had given the poor guy a decent monitoring system instead of shit-on-a-stick, he might have been more willing and able to keep it in the yellow...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:19:40 PM by Pascal.Pincosy »

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 04:52:32 PM »

I suggest you put some delay in his monitors. That will teach Mr Morales to keep it out of the red.  ::)

PS if you had given the poor guy a decent monitoring system instead of shit-on-a-stick, he might have been more willing and able to keep it in the yellow...

I used 2 stacks of d&b C7 last week as DJ monitors lol shut them up a treat !!

Jason Bench

How to keep DJ levels out of the red
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »

What about feeding system processors with the record output from the dj mixer?   Doesn't this effectively remove the classic dj master output volume control and force him to manage channel gain and channel fader only?  Is there any downside to using the record output?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 12:40:53 PM »

What about feeding system processors with the record output from the dj mixer?   Doesn't this effectively remove the classic dj master output volume control and force him to manage channel gain and channel fader only? 

No.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Pascal.Pincosy

• SR Forums
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »

What about feeding system processors with the record output from the dj mixer?   Doesn't this effectively remove the classic dj master output volume control and force him to manage channel gain and channel fader only?  Is there any downside to using the record output?
Depends on the mixer in question. Doesn't really matter though as the DJ can put the mixer square into the red with just a hot signal and the channel gain.

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:45 AM »

At the end of the day - it is not really the audio providers place to get involved in the quality of the music. I once caught a monitor engineer messing around with limiters on our L'acoustic DV dosc DJ headphones.. that engineer almost lost his job over it - and that company will never provide for that artist again. They did 30+ shows a year with him in 5 figure/show fees.

I have yet to see a proper rig damaged from DJ abuse. If your system configuration and protection devices can handle a heavy metal band - you can probably do a big name DJ.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:45 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.