ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: danley sound labs TH-115 vs bassmaxx Z-5  (Read 24992 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: danley sound labs TH-115 vs bassmaxx Z-5
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2006, 09:34:23 PM »

There is no way that cabinet can be a tapped horn-in the true sense, not at least down to any bass freq. There is not enough volume in the cabinet.

Regarding the patent-i really have no opinion, and know nothing of the subject, but I would guess that they would not publish patents that are applied for-but could easily be wrong.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Phil Pope

• http://www.apacheacoustics.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 05:12:49 PM »

Iain Macdonald wrote on Wed, 28 June 2006 21:22

Phil,

The link you provided to Void, looks more like a back to front K horn with extra length. If you read the paper on Tom's site you will get a good idea of what he is doing. You might also read up on the Voigt pipe or TQWP.

Iain.

as in the old Klipsch K-horn that uses the room corner as a mouth extension? If so I don't see the similarity.

Phil

Mark "Bass Pig" Weiss

• http://www.basspig.com
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2006, 01:33:23 AM »

As a satisfied (very!) owner of four Bassmaxx ZR-18 drivers, I am of the opinion that the driver is a big contributing factor to the output capabilities of the system as a whole.

I've owned a large number of drivers from several manufacturers, and the ZR-18s are like no other on the market. Just sheer mechanical servo pistons with a very long stroke capability. In my vented boxes, two of them easily surpass 140dB. My boxes are essentially flat to 16Hz, +0/-1dB, as measured on a CEL 241/1 sound level meter. Maybe not quite as sensitive as some of the horns, but they go very low and with a monster amp behind them, they get the loudness below 30Hz. Due to the mass of the double-layer fiberglass cones, they don't seem as loud above 50Hz as some top commercial drivers with their distorted output, but get down below 30Hz and they really turn whatever building you're in, into one giant shake table!

Frankly, anything with a paper cone just doesn't do a clean enough job. Distortion is often mis-perceived as loudness. The Bassmaxx drivers have no distortion to speak of.

Where I find the most noticeable difference between the Bassmaxx drivers and other drivers is not in the room, but a block away from the building. It's the difference between a weak thump and the sound of one of those dual rotor Army helocopters hovering directly overhead. Clean bass really carries for great distances. Trying to insulated and soundproof against a ZR-18 is like trying to conceal an atom bomb detonation. Smile

Iain_Macdonald

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2006, 02:50:35 PM »

Phil Pope wrote on Thu, 29 June 2006 22:12

Iain Macdonald wrote on Wed, 28 June 2006 21:22

Phil,

The link you provided to Void, looks more like a back to front K horn with extra length. If you read the paper on Tom's site you will get a good idea of what he is doing. You might also read up on the Voigt pipe or TQWP.

Iain.

as in the old Klipsch K-horn that uses the room corner as a mouth extension? If so I don't see the similarity.

Phil

No. I didn't say Klipsch. The shape is like a K if you look at it from above.

Iain.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 21 queries.