ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: danley sound labs TH-115 vs bassmaxx Z-5  (Read 24989 times)

Pascal Pincosy

Re: danley sound labs TH-115 vs bassmaxx Z-5
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 07:04:35 PM »

Hi Scott, I own 4 Bassmaxx B-Zeros. I've heard the TH-115's several times. I've worked a show with 16 Bassmaxx Z-5's (123 dB at the back of a 7000 seat auditorium.) I've been to several shows with the BH760 and several clubs with the DCS 2's. I have not heard the BH-822e/KF940.

What I mean is that IMO, nothing that I've heard from EAW, JBL, Nexo, or L'Acoustics, will hold a candle to the offerings from Danley and Bassmaxx, not when comparing SPL to weight, quality of sound (my personal opinion), or overall cost (including amps).

Ask yourself why EAW will no longer participate in the subwoofer shootouts.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 08:56:08 PM »

Looks like 1 or 2 note bass to me.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Matthias Schuler

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 02:52:56 AM »

Ivan

If your argument is directed towards the BH760-measurements, please keep in mind that these are processed (at least lopassed). And that the aim of these measurements was to generate directivity at low frequencies.

Gareth James

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 08:44:01 AM »

Matthias they may be low passed and be able to achieve higher spl's as frequency rises past 80hz or so but i think one of the major points on here was regarding the frequency at which subs are measured.

There is no point to rating a subwoofer "out of band" when its intended use is generally sub 100hz content. I think Ivans point is valid, the 760 array seem to exhibit rapidly falling spls from 50/60hz downwards especially when compared to the incredibly flat measured response of the TH-115 array.

There doesn't appear to be a scale on any of the 760 response graphs to directly compare output levels of one array versus the other and i am eager to see a shootout involving all of the above mentioned subs.

In my eyes it would provide definitive information which anyone would be able to access when searching for advice on "which subwoofer" threads.

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 05:05:52 PM »

I don't think it's fair at all to compare a reading done specifically to measure frequency response, with one done to measure directivity. Processing, mic placement, etc will have significant impact on the frequency response shown FWIW. Was there a high-pass filter invoked? Was the mic placed on the ground? Or on a stand? We don't know and Langston didn't specify as he wasn't measuring for frequency response. Small variables in measurement technique will cause big changes in the measured response.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 07:52:57 PM »

Actually, looking at just a single freq when doing directivity measurements is not a good idea at all.  Unless of course you are only going to be using the cabinets at just that 1 note.  What may look good at a single freq, may be causing all sorts of rear/side lobes that are actually doing more damage than good at other freq.  The forward direction may be better, but what you are really concerned with is the TOTAL response all around the cabinets throughout the response band.

Just like doing signal alignment and freq response adjustments to get a super flat response, but only at a single seat.  Even out of polarity signals can be made to "look" good in a single measurement position (amplitude response wise ONLY).  However, you are actually making things worse for the rest of the people listening to the cabinet.

As in all things audio, you cannot describe the total action in just a single or few numbers.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

Re: Just the numbers TH-115 vs Z-5
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 11:25:53 AM »

Iain Macdonald wrote on Fri, 09 June 2006 15:44

Tom,

In between the million and one things you need to do. Could you find time to post a set of meaninful tests for sub cabinets, whatever their type. There are other tests than TEF sweeps, MLS etc. I would add, the multi-tone tests that Dr Anhert? uses. These will show up a badly designed reflex box in a short time. The driver ends up getting a DC like shift in position, then crumples. This test will also blow the back of some other types of cabinet at full power.

Iain.

Hmm, Praxis will do that (Spectral Contamination).

From the Praxis measurement guide-

(Below are given example values for tone frequencies to use, based on Jon Risch's "New Class of In-band Multitone Test Signals", in AES preprint #4803.  This arrangement, based on a log-spaced series of tones with multiplier 1.618, minimizes stacking of harmonics on the resulting modulation tones.  Numerous other variations on this method are possible, and you may wish to restrict the tones to certain frequency ranges or to increase the tone density.)

Bandwidth of 10Hz – 500Hz
multiply by factor of 1.618

I used this on the Michigan LAB Subwoofer Shootout , but managed to screw up on the multiplication factor. Without realizing I set it too low making the tones so dense the test was useless.

One thing we think might have happened is we may have damaged some of the subs that unloaded under tuning. I did not push very many volts during testing because of a volume restriction (We tested in a building that had office work going on in the complex.) I found it hard to believe we damaged them at the level I was using, but became gun-shy there after.

I was wondering how things went while measuring ported boxes? Was the test done with a proper high-pass on the box or were the tones below tuning deleted?

Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Tim Padrick

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 03:28:35 AM »

Pascal Pincosy wrote on Fri, 09 June 2006 01:14

....take a listen to both the TH-115 and the Z-5. Either sub will cream anything else on the market (including EAW's EAW BH760.) However the TH-115 and the Z-5 have two very different sounds to them, so I would definitely recommend a listening test before you throw down your hard earned cash.

I've heard the LAB (one per side only) and the 760 in a quad per side.  The 760s sounded terrible - very heavy from 60-80, very ringy, and no bottom.  A friend mixed a system with them and had the same opinion.

Phil Pope

• http://www.apacheacoustics.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »

is this another 'tapped' type horn?

http://www.voidaudio.com/product_detail.asp?id=50

danley sound labs says it has a patent pending on the tapped horn but I can't find a filed application on the USPO site. can anyone give a link to it?

cheers
Phil

Iain_Macdonald

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 04:22:21 PM »

Phil,

The link you provided to Void, looks more like a back to front K horn with extra length. If you read the paper on Tom's site you will get a good idea of what he is doing. You might also read up on the Voigt pipe or TQWP.

Iain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.