ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey VSX26 Review  (Read 51297 times)

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Update: Peavey VSX26 - Goes To The "Trash Pile of History"
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2008, 09:57:19 PM »

Oh how I really wanted to love the VSX26. Good company - Peavey - nice folks. The right price for a fairly simple set of DSP functions. Nice controls. Decent editor (the version that links from PC to device does not work). I would love to see them succeed.

But the noise from this VSX26 unit can only be explained as: low noise, low-mid frequency (with some higher "harmonics"), intermittent sound. All very easy to see with even a simple PAA3. It sounds like air handlers, which explains why it did not bother me on first use at a gig last week.

I had a chance to bring it in the shop and listen - it is tremendously annoying.

No amount of gain structure changes (anywhere) mitigated the problem.

A/B against DRPA, DBX 223XL, and a Rane MX22 (all really inexpensive Xovers) provided the reference.

I did download and install the latest firmware, and tried various combinations of gain settings everywhere in the chain. Nothing gets rid of it.

Is it still usable? Probably. The "problem" does not get louder when cranked, it's only noticeable when no program is present.

In my case it's only for bi-amped monitors. But still extremely annoying.

1/4 of the time I am hired by the "act" - and I hate to have that sound coming over monitors that don't have a signal on them.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Jeff Babcock

Re: Update: Peavey VSX26 - Goes To The "Trash Pile of History"
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »

Tony, I have not experienced this issue and have worked with several VSX26's.  I would contact Peavey support.

Marty McCann

Re: Update: Peavey VSX26 - Goes To The "Trash Pile of History"
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »

Tony,

This tread actually goes back a couple of years, and although some users noted experiencing a noise issue, most do not have this problem.

The VSX-26 was designed for live audio, and the A/D - D/A circuitry is assuming that the operator is going to hit it with Rock and Roll performance levels.  

You reported your dissatisfaction due to noise issues, but you did not state the circumstances under which you experienced your reported results.

What make and model power amplifiers were you using?

As stated many times the optimum noise floor results when the amplifiers have a X's 20 gain structure.  Even current Peavey models have a X's 40 function, and although not always noisy with this gain, if so, it is a simple matter of reducing the sensitivity with the level controls.

The VSX-26 will NOT work in an unbalanced application. PERIOD.  There are amplifiers out there that no matter what the rated power, they have a 0.775 Volt sensitivity, which means that they can be way over X's 20 or X's 40's.  I have seen amplifiers with 0.775 Volt sensitivity that have a Voltage gain of X's 140.

Also did you confirm that you have the latest version of Firmware, i.e. 0.106?  

Marty

Tony "T" Tissot

Update: Peavey VSX26
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »

Yes of course balanced (please! Laughing ). Of course it's an old thread -but the most relevant one on the board.

If you know the secret - I'm all ears, as I would love 3 more of these so I don't have to buy Padrick's DRs.

It is a barley perceptible (but is measurable) "throbbing" sound. As I said - it's just about what air handling noise sounds like in a commercial room.

From the post:

I did download and install the latest firmware (yesterday - from the site).

And tried various combinations of gain settings everywhere in the chain. Nothing gets rid of it.

(Peavey site is down again BTW (http://www.peavey.com/))

# #

PLX amplifiers - specifically 3602 on lows and 1602 on highs.

Board AH 2200.

Removed everything from the signal chain except the VSX
Reduced gain into, in it and out of it, reduced amp gain settings.

I know it isn't the board or the amps, and I've tried every possible combination of gain, before, in and after the device.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Peter Etheredge

Re: Update: Peavey VSX26
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2008, 10:35:54 AM »

So did we ever come to a final conclusion on the VSX26 as far as the hum thing is concerned?  There seems to be a lot of conflicting reports on it.

I currently have a DR260 on an install but would like to go to something that has at least 3-inputs so that I can aux feed subs (yes I know that to do this with the VSX26 it involves a "skanky hack" with the RTA input but I don't need anything fancy).  It would be nice if it could be a decent "budget" unit that I could possibly just trade the DR260 for, especially since it's just doing some simple crossover/delay for some QSC HPR's and frankly I feel like the DR260 is overkill.

Tony I know that you and Elliot had some better luck with the BBE DS 48 but I'm still not sure of the "stigma" attached to it (the Peavey seems to have less to me).

Thoughts anyone?

-pete
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2008, 12:25:51 PM »

Peter Etheredge wrote on Wed, 28 May 2008 09:35

I currently have a DR260 on an install but would like to go to something that has at least 3-inputs so that I can aux feed subs

Xilica XP-3060 has three inputs.

(yes I know that to do this with the VSX26 it involves a "skanky hack" with the RTA input but I don't need anything fancy).

Xilica XP-3060 requires no skanky hack.

It would be nice if it could be a decent "budget" unit that I could possibly just trade the DR260 for, especially since it's just doing some simple crossover/delay for some QSC HPR's and frankly I feel like the DR260 is overkill.

Xilica XP-3060 < $600.

Tony I know that you and Elliot had some better luck with the BBE DS 48 but I'm still not sure of the "stigma" attached to it (the Peavey seems to have less to me).

Xilica XP-3060, no stigma included.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it's a great unit.
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Robert Fielder

• http://www.coolcountrynights.com
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »

John Horvath wrote on Wed, 28 May 2008 12:25

Xilica XP-3060 has three inputs.

Neat - I had not heard of the Xlica line before.

And they are made in Canada!!! I Richmond Hill, not far from my home, just across Toronto.

Mind you, I have not yet found any Canadian retailers that list the products......

Sounds like they are price competitive with the dBx DR 260, at least in the USA. And the software looks advanced over what is available for the DR260, or the software I use with my Behringer DCX2496.

The DCX2496 is working well enough at this time, but it is good to know what the options are for future reference.....
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
http://www.coolcountrynights.com

Tony "T" Tissot

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2008, 07:47:02 PM »

Peter Etheredge wrote on Wed, 28 May 2008 07:35

So did we ever come to a final conclusion on the VSX26 as far as the hum thing is concerned?  There seems to be a lot of conflicting reports on it.

I have, can't say what "we" are doing. Except that others have thrown the VSX in the trash. It's just a noisy unit.
You would not believe the "weapons-grade" BS being spouted by Peavey tech support on the forums:

"The VSX is a fixed gain device relative to the Analog to Digital(D/A) and Digital to Analog (A/D) converters.

Ok with you so far

"The digital domain was set for what I would call Rock and Roll applications where the system is definitely driven hard. In a typical Tavern or concert hall, the noise floor of the system would be masked by the ambient noise produced by the audience."

OK - So it is noisy? Unless you are in a really loud room, and then you can't actually hear it? Ever heard of sound check - you know - where first impressions are formed?

"When a DSP device, such as the VSX-26 is used for less demanding applications, it is necessary to reduce the sensitivity at the power amplifier so that the A/D and D/A converters use more bits, which also reduces the perception of the noise floor."

WTF? - How about when nothing is connected to it? Just which "more" bits to do you want me to use?

...(and BTW what the heck is "less demanding" supposed to mean? - I seem to recall outdoor Symphony and Chamber performances as a lot more demanding than Rock and Roll....)

MNGS

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »

basically it is an OK piece if you are ok with treating it as a fixed sensitivity stage where you have to work your entire gain structure around keeping that one piece happy.
turn down the amps and turn up whatever is before it and the noise floor is acceptable, but it shouldn't be so picky.

that, plus the <don't dare hook it to anything unbalanced> noises make it not worth my time. I have enough things to babysit. I want my DSP to sit, heel. good dog..

Jason

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »

Robert Fielder wrote on Wed, 28 May 2008 14:18

Mind you, I have not yet found any Canadian retailers that list the products......

In Canada they are distributed exclusively by White Radio

Jason
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.