ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installation in Dusty Enviroments  (Read 3191 times)

Don Boone

Installation in Dusty Enviroments
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:41:34 AM »

Anybody got any good factory verbiage concerning installation of equipment in dusty environments?
In one of those situations where you tell the contractor the job site is still too dusty to install DVD players, projectors etc. and they say install it anyway. I’ve checked a few manuals and they don’t really address that but they don’t mention anything about not installing the gear underwater either.
Just looking for some CYA verbiage.

Don

Bobby Welliver

Re: Installation in Dusty Enviroments
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:49:41 PM »

Don,

I don't have any materials about this, but I have 20 years of knowledge as a systems engineer/installer.

When it comes to dusty environments, I look at it two ways.

First off being that if it is way to dusty for electronics and they are all rack mounted, I rack mount all of the hardware at the shop and make it plug and play for when they are ready. This does not slow anything up on anyone's end as well as makes for quicker turnover time due to everything working correctly.

Second thing being that items are to be permantly mounted in a non rack structure and some sort of finish around it all, be it trim, leather or vinyl etc. These get touchy as the products really need to be in the places they belong when it comes to trimming everything out, this makes for a great looking and totally functional installation.

In this case, we bring all of the items to be installed and put small plastic bags over the faces of all of the units. There is always an area on rack and non rack mounted items where you can use a little gaff tape to hold the plastic down. This still allows for a recess on the product, yet still covers all of the parts of the unit to keep the dirt and dust out.

I always bag up anything I can until the job is completely finished on the contractors side. This goes for lighting, speakers and every component that has to due with my install. In the 20 years I have been doing this, I have never had a problem with any products as a result from dirty or dusty facilites.

Doesn't hurt to use a little canned air as well once everything is in place and ready to go. Lubing up your faders is also something that I do everytime, these are easy to do and make things nice and smooth when it comes to test time.

Bobby
Bobby Welliver - ESC
welliver915@charter.net
http://www.entsyscorp.com
1-800-582-2421 Toll Free

Cam Tardi

• http://www.weldingwiki.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 02:05:29 AM »

I'm just adding for the record, that I have a manual here stating not to install the gear in a bath tub.

But, I've done some installs in a climbing gym, lots of heavy dust, the go through electronics about every 2-3 years.

Is your install in a location that will always be dusty, or only right now?
Don't you Just Hate Pants?

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:19:30 AM »

The User Manual for just about any pro DVD, projector, etc. will say something about this in the 'warning' sections at the front of the manual.  Since they specifically mention it then any violation would be grounds for denial of waranty should anything go wrong.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Don Boone

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 10:58:32 AM »

This was in a construction environment. The general contractor insisted we install gear while there was still plenty concrete and sheet rock dust around. We have since found some verbiage in a NEC warranty document and took some shocking photos.
It was just a CYA thing on a poorly managed job.

Don

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 07:02:54 PM »

Coincidence, but the NEC projector manuals was the first place I looked for the warnings and it is very clearly there with a exclamation point in a yellow triangle and everything.

I personally knwo of several war stories involving replacing pan/tilt cameras and audio consoles when the contractor was forced to put them in before the rooms were ready.

Warranties can be fun to read, for example many consumer or 'prosumer' products warranties specifically exclude coverage if the product is used for any commercial or industrial use while other don't even mention this.  I know one manufacturer that reduces their normal one year warranty on their consumer products to 30 days if they are used in commercial applications.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.