ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EV Speaker install  (Read 3962 times)

Austin Parker

EV Speaker install
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:58:35 AM »

Someone clue me in. While I'm out in some of the local watering holes I have seen many different types of speaker installs. Everything from 70v, to flying pa. One thing that gets my attention is that a few of these places use  EV speakers, and they have the speakers mounted in pairs all over the venue. To make things even a bit more interesting the pairs usually have one speaker mounted upside down in comparison to the other - that is to say instead of mounting parallel horn to horn, they are mounted parallel horn to woofer. Why? Is this a common attempt at combining horizontal and vertical pa hanging techniques? it seems like they are built as a 'parallel narrow long throw'
Austin Parker

Designer  of Audio/Video/Control Systems

"Are you with me? Do you get it? If you have to ask what "IT" is, you don't get it"

Ivan Beaver

Re: EV Speaker install
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 11:35:24 AM »

Which models?  Are they hard packed?

I cannot think of any reason other than a particular installer trying to put a siguature look to their install-without regards to performance.

Chances are that by doing this (without knowing anything other thant he information given) you are creating lots of combfiltering.

But hey-you are talking about his install, maybe that was his plan all along?

It is so much more about looking cool than actually performing well isn't it? Sad
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Austin Parker

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:27:08 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sun, 28 May 2006 11:35

Which models?  Are they hard packed?

I cannot think of any reason other than a particular installer trying to put a siguature look to their install-without regards to performance.

Chances are that by doing this (without knowing anything other thant he information given) you are creating lots of combfiltering.

But hey-you are talking about his install, maybe that was his plan all along?

It is so much more about looking cool than actually performing well isn't it? Sad

I wasn't able to catch the model, but they are your standard high frequency horn driver with a 15" woofer. Yes they are hard packed. Originally I thought that maybe it was done for better high frequency dispersion - with the horns being mounted in such a manner (but since they are mounted very high, almost on the ceiling, i dont think that would matter)
Austin Parker

"Are you with me? Do you get it? If you have to ask what "IT" is, you don't get it"

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 12:35:19 PM »

Austin Parker wrote on Sun, 28 May 2006 02:58

One thing that gets my attention is that a few of these places use  EV speakers, and they have the speakers mounted in pairs all over the venue. To make things even a bit more interesting the pairs usually have one speaker mounted upside down in comparison to the other - that is to say instead of mounting parallel horn to horn, they are mounted parallel horn to woofer. Why? Is this a common attempt at combining horizontal and vertical pa hanging techniques? it seems like they are built as a 'parallel narrow long throw'
It is a fairly common misguided attempt to eliminate the comb filtering where the horns and woofers combine. It doesn't eliminate it, it just moves it into a different plane.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 12:39:26 PM »

Yeah the problem is not just in the horizontal plane, but now both the vertical AND horizontal planes. Not to mention the diagional coverage.

Yes he probably did increase the vertical coverage a bit, about a foot or two.  I'm sure that made all the difference in coverage. Laughing
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Austin Parker

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »

So it's junk? Combining the horn and woofer to cancel comb filtering? That's new....
Austin Parker

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
One up, one down
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sun, 28 May 2006 09:39

Yeah the problem is not just in the horizontal plane, but now both the vertical AND horizontal planes. Not to mention the diagional coverage...

A local guy I've worked with does exactly this with Meyer UPAs and Apogee AE-5s. Probably does it with other 2-way speakers as well. I would LOVE to see a CLF diagram of the resulting coverage pattern.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »

Austin Parker wrote on Sun, 28 May 2006 12:43

So it's junk? Combining the horn and woofer to cancel comb filtering? That's new....
I don't know quite what you mean, but anytime the output 2 speakers producing the same audio combine there will be comb filtering due to the in phase, out of phase combining. People who turn one speaker upside down mistakenly think that they no longer combine. The different relationship of the horns to each other, and the woofers to each other, will change the way the comb filtering happens, but it will not eliminate it.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

Re: One up, one down-A model
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 01:12:05 PM »

Here is a pair of close packed UPA1's ( 1 upside down) index.php/fa/4912/0/at 2KHz modeled in EASE.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: One up, one down-A model
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 01:23:13 PM »

Nice pattern... kind of Art Deco or Streamline Moderne.  Laughing

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.