ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is this digital board?  (Read 13182 times)

Rich Mullen

• http://www.edgeaudioservices.com
Re: Where is this digital board: DM-1000?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 12:24:23 PM »

I REMEMBER THAT! The 1st one I bought, I had to buy the 'expander' thingy. Don't remember what it was called.

Thanks for shaking the dust loose in my brain.

FWIW
My 1st 'console' was called a Trooper II. It had a master section with maybe 8 channels and we had the extension module with a ribbon cable connect to add another 8 channels (I think!). It was 3-4 times the size of a 1604 and had 2 aux and no sub groups (if I remember right). EQ was horrible almost non-exsitent. I think it had a spring reverb though!

I can't remember it too well, because in reference to Bonnie Lackey's post - I TOSSED IT!

EDGE Man

Jason Dermer

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 12:26:25 PM »

That was the CR1604- I still have mine, and it's still a great little workhorse for a multitude of situations. But it came with 6 mic pres, not 8. The add on is gies you pres for the other 10 channels, but no inserts.
Back to the subject at hand, build the following digital console and you'll have THE solution for every bar/small club/small PA company/basic corporate job out there.

Street price of $2500.00 to $3000.00
rack sized
16mono+2 stereo inputs, all with 4 band, 2 swept mids eq, high pass, polarity inversion, and direct outs (digital direct out with lightpipe or similar option?)  
2 fx engines assigned to their own returns (with eq), not the 2 stereo inputs
8 assignable graphs and/or peq
8 assignable dynamics
routing options similar to the Mixwiz or an Onyx
sound quality on par with at least entry level or better pro gear, ie, the above consoles, DBX 10 series comps and gates, DBX 22 series eq, TC M1/D2 FX

Am I dreaming?
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
Re: Where is this digital board?
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 12:27:24 PM »

Yes, it would be nice if there was a specific product made for every specific situation. Then there would be no need for work-arounds and no need to pay for features you don't need or want.

World peace would be cool too.

The evolution of digital mixers, especially the Yamaha digital mixers, seems to be going well. I am sure they spend a lot of time thinking about what customers want, and delivering it at the right price.

As of right now, the 01v - DM1000 - M7 seem like logical steps, especially with the ability to expand and customize the models lower in the line.

Products like the TT24 and M7 are filling in the once barren middle ground od digital mixers.

I think you will eventually get what you (we?) want. The question is when.
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 12:51:11 PM »

Jason Dermer wrote on Sat, 27 May 2006 12:26

That was the CR1604- I still have mine, and it's still a great little workhorse for a multitude of situations. But it came with 6 mic pres, not 8. The add on is gies you pres for the other 10 channels, but no inserts.
Back to the subject at hand, build the following digital console and you'll have THE solution for every bar/small club/small PA company/basic corporate job out there.

Street price of $2500.00 to $3000.00
rack sized
16mono+2 stereo inputs, all with 4 band, 2 swept mids eq, high pass, polarity inversion, and direct outs (digital direct out with lightpipe or similar option?)  
2 fx engines assigned to their own returns (with eq), not the 2 stereo inputs
8 assignable graphs and/or peq
8 assignable dynamics
routing options similar to the Mixwiz or an Onyx
sound quality on par with at least entry level or better pro gear, ie, the above consoles, DBX 10 series comps and gates, DBX 22 series eq, TC M1/D2 FX

Am I dreaming?
What is there in your description that is not available on an 01v96 plus an ADA8000? You don't seem to mind the add on pres as you praise the CR1604. The nearest thing to a miss is the 8 assignable graphic eqs, but you also suggest parametric eq. Since there is a fully parametric eq on every input channel, group, aux, and stereo, you have 18 fixed placement instead of 8 assignable. What fabulous routing options are available on the MixWiz and Onyx that you can't do on an 01v? Does either of them have 14 assignable balanced output connections? Instead of the input eq with 2 swept mids you'll have to survive with 4 band fully parametric. Instead of 8 assignable dynamics processors you'll have to learn to get by with dynamics on everything. Oh yeah, and built in delay on all outputs. Although you will only have 20 mic pres, you will have 32 mono control channels, so you can softpatch to other inputs for mons. All for under $2500.  I am not a huge fan of the 01v96, as I can get DM1000s when I need a small board, but it is the best thing in its class.

Mac

Ken Freeman

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 12:53:57 PM »

Yes and No.

Please study your analog solution: The console, the dynamics, the DSP FX engines, the EQ that you had to insert, all the multi-cables to hook it up, the cases, the wheels skids on the cases and then the time to connect it all.  Oh and the milkcrate full power strips, extension cords, the 6 foot table to set it all on and the 6 seats in the audience you had to kill....Do you recall what all that cost?  

Now weigh that against the small format digital mixer and the iPod or CD player.  Does it take any longer to wade through the "kluge" of O1v's menus that it took you to hook all that stuff up?  I think not.  This meets your price objective. Are there other alternatives:  Yes.

Need to step it up to a higher level of functionality?  DM-1000: I/O added as you need it, if you need it, when you need it.  Afraid of Yamaha?  TT24 for a few more bucks gets you a few more inputs.  Not my first choice, but it is an option.

So, Come back with 5 Grand and you can get this moving with a product that can do a lot more than your analog solution ever could in half the time with 75% less gear.  

Or, wait 3 more years for the next generation.

Ken

Mike Slay

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 01:59:23 PM »

I'm not super familiar with the 01v96, but it seems to me that if it has 12 mic inputs and four line inputs you have the opurtunity to grab four "premium" pre's for use on vocals or the like.  And if you're using this for band gigs you can always use that as a selling point for bands.  For some the glass is always half empty for others it half full.
What's the difference between a Monitor engineer and FOH engineer?  Monitor engineers can do both.

Jason Dermer

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 02:07:24 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 27 May 2006 12:51

What is there in your description that is not available on an 01v96 plus an ADA8000? You don't seem to mind the add on pres as you praise the CR1604. The nearest thing to a miss is the 8 assignable graphic eqs, but you also suggest parametric eq. Since there is a fully parametric eq on every input channel, group, aux, and stereo, you have 18 fixed placement instead of 8 assignable. What fabulous routing options are available on the MixWiz and Onyx that you can't do on an 01v? Does either of them have 14 assignable balanced output connections? Instead of the input eq with 2 swept mids you'll have to survive with 4 band fully parametric. Instead of 8 assignable dynamics processors you'll have to learn to get by with dynamics on everything. Oh yeah, and built in delay on all outputs. Although you will only have 20 mic pres, you will have 32 mono control channels, so you can softpatch to other inputs for mons. All for under $2500.  I am not a huge fan of the 01v96, as I can get DM1000s when I need a small board, but it is the best thing in its class.

Mac

I'm not praising the 1604, I pointed out an error in a previous post and mentioned that I still use it to this day.

That said, I have not used an 01V, nor an M7 or TT24, so perhaps I should have studied their features a bit more before posting. I have toured a D5 and a DM2000 and attended 1D/5D training, so I am not digitally challenged, either. But the gist of my post remains call for an affordable, all in one, compact digital package that can, with very little user training, do what every small setup out there does, better and more efficiently. Hell, while we're at it, put the (remote)pres and a/d conversion at the stage box, put an 8-10 in 16-24 out processor onboard as well, make the outs all digital, then give me some amps with digital in. One a/d and one d/a conversion from start to finish(minimal latency). One Cat-5 or similar cable and a single Edison to FOH. True plug and play for the masses.
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Jason Dermer

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 02:19:40 PM »

As I read back my own post, maybe the solution is partially software based. FOH-a laptop with a small sidecar bank of 8 channel strips. Everything onboard the laptop except the pres and a/d converters, the signal hits the amps digital....
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 02:34:44 PM »

Well,
What Im saying here is that I hated using the 1604cr.  A 1604 vlz from 10 years ago is just fine for that size gig tho.  There have been several new incarnations of the 1604, all of which have had small improvements but nothing that is really necessary to upgrade from an older vlz.  I would hate to use a cr again tho.  I am amazed at how much I can do with just an o1v96 and the more I look at it the more it just might suit my needs.  I like the idea of 4 channels of wireless going into the line inputs. I might have to play around with this idea some more, I just  dont want to own a mackie cr.
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Douglas Johnson

• http://www.timberwoodsound.com
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 03:55:33 PM »

One more option with 16 mic inputs in a slightly larger package would be the 02r.
doug j.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 03:55:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.