ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BASSSSSSSSSSS  (Read 8956 times)

Randall Hyde

Re: BASSSSSSSSSSS
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »

My Gosh!
I paid big bucks for all those amplifiers that are only working on frequencies at 80Hz and below. I'm going to get my money's worth!

Seriously, as impressed as I am by my sound guy's penchant for caving in people's chests when the kick drum is hit, I think I've finally convinced him that the intelligibility of the vocals suffers big time when he runs the drums too hot (bass guitar hasn't been anywhere near as much of a problem with him).
cheers,
Randy Hyde

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »

When I played bass for my church in high school, the worship leader told me that bass is to felt rather than heard.  I think a bunch of people have misinterpreted this advice and such like it to mean that bass should pound you in the chest, rather than provide the feel for the rythm of the music, i.e.  I saw a small jazz combo at a swing dance a while back with no percussion instruments - the upright bass provided all the rythm needed to move to the music.

Stavross (Sam Buck)

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »

When I played bass for my church in high school, the worship leader told me that bass is to felt rather than heard.  I think a bunch of people have misinterpreted this advice and such like it to mean that bass should pound you in the chest, rather than provide the feel for the rythm of the music, i.e.  I saw a small jazz combo at a swing dance a while back with no percussion instruments - the upright bass provided all the rythm needed to move to the music.

It all depends on what you are trying to do. I work for a lot of metal bands so if every time the kick hits there isn't enough low end to cause arrhythmia then I'm not doing my job.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »

maximum bass at all frequencies

PMSL oooh yes ;)

duane massey

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »

Trouttttt....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 08:14:04 PM »

The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »

I Just did a gig with some DJs named DADA Life last weekend.  There was LOTS O' BASS going but I sure had a very clean sound!  One of the few EDM performances that I thought was quite intense and musical also.  I never pulled out the old Ratshack SPL meter but I know it doesn't go that high.

I think a nice hyped low end can be useful for events where you need it to sound loud without being loud.  For those events where it is already too loud, I don't see any reason to hype the bass too much for them.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »

Also sometimes finding the rooms resonance and tuning the system a little can fall people to believe the system is louder than it is

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.