ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church looking to get first projector.  (Read 2890 times)

Mark Fausz

Church looking to get first projector.
« on: May 23, 2006, 05:23:39 pm »

The church that I go to is thinking about getting a projector. I have been trying to get them to buy one for the past year. I'm in charge of the sound and have I good big influence on what they purchase. The question is what are the things I should be looking at. I do know that the more lumens the brighter it is. The main purpose for it will be for showing words of the words of the bible and the song words. However we rented one over the weekend to show a movie and the pastor is thinking of showing movies once a month or so. I'm assuming that everything will going through a computer, including dvd's. Which brings up another question should we use a s-vedio cable or use a dvi cable. It will be 100 feet run. Room size is 55' wide and 65' feet long and I'm leaning on a rear projector screen. Any and all post will help.
God Bless,
Mark

Jerry Nuckolls

• http://www.acousticsinfo.com
Re: Church looking to get first projector.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:36:55 pm »

Mark, here is a list of things that need to be answered.

1) How much ambient light do you have in the space?

2) What is your screen size?

3) What type of ceiling structure is available in the event that rear screen projection cannot occur.

4) If you are rear mounting your projector, do you have enough rear distance to project the full width of the screen, or do you need a folded system.

5) What is your budget?

Some other things to consider.  Since you are estimating a length of 100' for cabling and since you are running from a PC, I would recommend using the ANALOG RGB signal coming from the HD15 connection on the back of your pc.  The reason for this is simply because you can drive an analog signal much farther than a dvi signal.  Most dvi based pc cards have an analog section which will allow you to break out the 5 wire signal.  

Your projector choice should be one that not only matches the optical needs with respect to distance from the screen, but should also be matched to the native resolution of the pc.  For example, the currently most common resolution is 1024x768.  The projector of choice for that pc would be one with a native resolution of 1024x768.  

You will also want to select a mounting solution that offers pan and tilt control of the projector for precision alignment.

I hope that helped.
Jerry Nuckolls
Acoustics Engineer
Image Media Solutions

Ken Freeman

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 12:38:00 am »

We do a lot of installs in the church market.  You do need to come up with answers for all of Jerry's questions.  Another thing you may want to factor into this is cost of operation.  The lamps for some of the medium output projectors can cost upwards of a dollar per hour of use.

Ken

Mark Fausz

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 10:06:44 am »

Some other things to consider.  Since you are estimating a length of 100' for cabling and since you are running from a PC, I would recommend using the ANALOG RGB signal coming from the HD15 connection on the back of your pc.  The reason for this is simply because you can drive an analog signal much farther than a dvi signal.  Most dvi based pc cards have an analog section which will allow you to break out the 5 wire signal.  

Your projector choice should be one that not only matches the optical needs with respect to distance from the screen, but should also be matched to the native resolution of the pc.  For example, the currently most common resolution is 1024x768.  The projector of choice for that pc would be one with a native resolution of 1024x768.  

What about using s-video? I am thinking this because it will give a better resolution then 1024x768 I think? Also I'm thinking the s-video will drive the signal just as far as analog would.
God Bless,
Mark

Jerry Nuckolls

• http://www.acousticsinfo.com
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 10:41:03 am »

Mark,

You wrote "What about using s-video? I am thinking this because it will give a better resolution then 1024x768 I think? Also I'm thinking the s-video will drive the signal just as far as analog would. "

Svideo and a PC's analog output both produce an analog signal.  RGBHV seperates the color bands as well as the horizontal (H) and vertical (V) sync.  The RGBHV transfer of signal requires 5 coaxial lines. Usually these are hidden inside of a "computer monitor cable."

An S-video signal carries two signals instead of 5, the chrominance(color) and luminance(brightness).  The sync signals get modulated together and ride on the luminance line.  

An NTSC signal or a PAL signal *can* be trasmitted via S-Video, the specified bandwidth does not support the transmission of a higher resolution, like the one that comes from your PC.

In order to run your pc to a projector via an s-video line, you would actually have to scale your resolution down with a product similar to the kramer VP-502xl.

For your reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/intercon nects/signalconnectortypes.php

You might do well to take ICIA's free av introduction before recommending a projector to your church.  I think there is still a lot for you to learn.  You can go to the following website, click on education and add the introductory course to your shopping cart.  It will show $0.00 when you check out.  They will give you a free online training that teaches you about video signals.

http://www.infocomm.org

Jerry Nuckolls
Acoustics Engineer
Image Media Solutions

Joshua McLaughlin

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 11:16:50 am »

Mark Fausz wrote on Sun, 28 May 2006 10:06

What about using s-video? I am thinking this because it will give a better resolution then 1024x768 I think? Also I'm thinking the s-video will drive the signal just as far as analog would.

S-video will give you a max resolution of 480x640 and an aspect ratio of 4:3. This is what’s known at standard definition television or SDTV.

Since your main goal is to project text (songs, bible text ect..) you'll really need a much higher resolution.

There are 2 basic solutions that can be placed in a situation like yours.

The more cost effected of the 2 is to run both an RGB line and an s-video cable (coaxial). Make sure the projector you purchase has inputs for both (I can't think of any that don’t but make sure).  Then you can use the remote for your projector to switch between the computer mode (RGB) and the video mode (s-video).

The better way is to run a single RGB line and connect it to a video switcher/scalar.

This allows you to seamlessly switch between video inputs (RGB, SVID, Composite, ect). In any case I suggest running a coaxial cable no matter what you choose. You may never use it but it's so cheap to run and you'll already be up there making the cable run so might as well. Never know when your going to use it. It could also allow you to take advantage of other features your projector may have like picture in picture.

Next you need to think about what kind of computer and software your going to need to generate the images and text.

I suggest for churches to use Song Show Plus http://www.songshowplus.com/ This software packages allows you to create a database of songs, transitions, backgrounds, photos, and announcements and display them on your projector. It also has a built in Bible that can be cued to display text at any time. You can add any translation you like.

In addition you can also use SSP with multiple monitors. Allowing you to cue something on one screen while displaying something on another. That way the audience see nothing but what you want them to.

I also strongly suggest installing Microsoft Power Point. Many people already know how to use this software and I find that most guest speakers who bring a presentation will provide it in power point format.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.