ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: APB Dynasonics Spectra-T - Show Report  (Read 199592 times)

John Roberts {JR}

Re: APB Dynasonics Spectra-T - Show Report
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2006, 11:44:37 AM »

Fred Merkle wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 09:55

As I stated before.  You and I are (mostly) in agreement.  Metal jacks and metal nuts do not imply good design practice.  (Now here's the part that I'm not sure whether we agree on.)  Metal jacks and metal nuts do not imply bad design practice or even poor design choice.

You really have to either respect a manufacturer's technical competence or test for yourself.

-Fred

Agreed... and even if use of metal nuts/sleeves is a marketing cosmetic decision, that doesn't make it wrong either. Perception in lieu of better data is the operating reality out in the real world.

JR

https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Grayson Rech

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2006, 02:22:55 PM »

Mac, and others who want to know why I  am hung on multi master faders. . .

I prefer individual faders for at least 2 reasons.
The first, on sunday one of my powered cabs decided to be at least 20db quieter than the other.  I checked EVERYTHING from the board outputs (Crest XR20) through the protea, snake, XLR to the speaker and even the back of the speaker to see if something had been pressed a pad or mic/line switch.  Troubleshooting led it to a faulting speaker (haven't had time to bench it yet).  I was under the gun and didn't have time to get a back up speaker for the first set.  So the "get through it" kicked in and ended up running that side 20db hotter than the other.  Thankfully it was a quiet atmosphere and I had more than enough headroom to do this.  Swapping speakers cleared up the issue and my world was calm again.  Now try and do that on a single fader console quickly.  

The other reason is more for the Mono or Center master to be used via aux feed subs or a remote feed or something cool that I can't even think about right now.  Now that one of APB's own chimed in on an alternative to that, I will consider that should the situation arise.  

Lastly, thank you Mac for pointing out the lack of subgroups.  I knew it did not have subgroups but until this moment I didn't think of the impacts of my style of mixing as I was focusing more in the VCA realm.  Without subgroups how could I insert processing over a select group of channels?  

As always thanks to all who help sharpen my knowledge and give me a different perspective.

Greatfull,
Grayson Rech

Close enuff for rock n' roll

Gian P. Portanova

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2006, 02:41:04 PM »

Grayson Rech wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 14:22

Lastly, thank you Mac for pointing out the lack of subgroups.  I knew it did not have subgroups but until this moment I didn't think of the impacts of my style of mixing as I was focusing more in the VCA realm.  Without subgroups how could I insert processing over a select group of channels?  

As always thanks to all who help sharpen my knowledge and give me a different perspective.

Greatfull,
Grayson Rech

Grayson,

I beleive that the inputs can be routed to an AUX out, then to main outs, allowing you to insert processing!  AUX on a fader is similar to a group.  

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2006, 03:52:32 PM »

If you are using your auxes for moinitors from FOH and EFX, you might not have any spare auxes.  We typically insert compressors on a group for a multi-band affair or to compress a vocal group.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2006, 04:35:32 PM »

Grayson Rech wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 14:22

I didn't mean to portray, nor do I consider, the lack of "groups" as a shortcoming, or disadvantage. In some ways it is an advantage. Like most higher end digital consoles, the use of groups and auxes becomes blurred. Those consoles, and the Dynasonics consoles, replace that paradigm with one where all mix buses can have variable level. If you need to process a group, you do it on one of the 10 variable mix buses. This is how a Midas XL3 works, it is how a Heritage 3000 works, and I assume an XL4 as well. Where the H3000 and many of the digital consoles differ is that it is possible to make the aux sends be fixed gain. The XL3 and I think the XL4 follow the same method as Dynasonics.

Mac

Dave Stevens

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2006, 05:40:18 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 13:35

The XL3 and I think the XL4 follow the same method as Dynasonics.

The XL4 has dedicated fixed gain subgroups in addition to variable auxes.  The XL3 was the first large frame console that I'm aware of that eliminated fixed groups and replaced them with a variable buses only.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Rick Stansby

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2006, 11:00:08 PM »

Grayson Rech wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 19:22

So the "get through it" kicked in and ended up running that side 20db hotter than the other.  ... Now try and do that on a single fader console quickly.  

You could always reach over to the graph or the DBX120s and balance the level there.

Edit: Did I say dbx 120.  Oops.  I meant dbx 160.  The mono compressor frequently used in pairs on the L,R outputs.  
Rick

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2006, 11:21:32 PM »

Rick-

The dbx 120 a "sub-harmonic sythesizer" that has a sub/main crossover function of 6dB/oct. but from what I can tell, left/right control is ganged.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Rick Stansby

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Wed, 24 May 2006 04:21

Rick-

The dbx 120 a "sub-harmonic sythesizer" that has a sub/main crossover function of 6dB/oct. but from what I can tell, left/right control is ganged.

Tim Mc

Good catch that was a typo, I meant dbx 160, which lots of guys seem to have on their L,R. Basically what I'm saying is that if you have your signal going through an EQ, or compressor you can quickly balance the gain there, even if the board doesn't have multiple master faders.  

To be honest I generally prefer multiple faders, but this Master fader has more power, because it can control matrix sends as well as the 4 main busses.  I'm thinking of it as a ninth VCA for controlling output faders.
Rick

Teri Hogan

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2006, 04:01:36 PM »

I have to jump in here with my .02.  We've had our 32-channel Spectra-T for about five weeks now and we are just amazed.  I really don't have anything to add technically, as it seems to have been pretty well covered.  But we've been showing this console around to engineers in the field and seeing is believing.  We took it out to a huge festival with six stages.  On day 1, I had it at my stage.  On day 2, I sent it over to another stage to be used by another sound company and put up the Verona.  Four engineers mixed on it and eights others came by to see and hear it.  Now you all know you can never get a bunch of audio engineers to agree on anything.  But all twelve engineers said the same thing:  "I'd take the APB over the Verona any day!"  

This console has more quality features than anything on the market in its price range.  As Chuck told me, "We wanted to make a console that would allow production companies to make money."  What a concept!

I had balked at the paradigm shift in console construction.  I really hated the idea of 8 inputs to a module.  If I lose one channel, I have to lose 8 channels to ship it off for repair?  Pleeeeeeze!  APB has addressed this in a completely logical fashion.  Each input is "plug and play".  If you lose a channel, you call 'em up and tell 'em, they overnight you a new  card, you pull out the bad one, insert the new one and you're good to go.  Now how logical is that?

To date, the only complaint we've had is that the yellow solo lights are impossible to see when working outside in the day time.  They're working on it.

Name recognition is the only obstacle we see for APB and I sincerely feel that this will be overcome quickly.  I just can't say enough good things about this desk!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.