ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: APB Dynasonics Spectra-T - Show Report  (Read 199595 times)

The Guy

Re: APB Dynasonics Spectra-T - Show Report
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 04:34:39 PM »

They're not nutted?  My B.  They felt like they were.  They certainly didn't have the amount of "play" that I've experienced in my former FOH console.  

-JB

Alexandre Richer

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 04:38:01 PM »

http://www.apbdynasonics.com/images/ProductPage1SpectraCInpu tEQ.JPG

and

http://www.apbdynasonics.com/Downloads/Photos/SpectraPhoto1_ 300dpi.jpg

are the two best photos I've seen on APB's website. Too bad they let the browser do the resizing.. except for the JPEG compression artifacts, picture #1 is pretty good.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 04:41:42 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 13:27

Grayson Rech wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 15:27

I just noticed that for the master outputs there is only one fader next to the 8th VCA.

Of course... otherwise you'd be changing your levels (and maybe crosspoints) between parts of your speaker system (L,C,R and Sub, potentially) whenever you adjusted it. A properly put together PA shouldn't have that happen to it.

For a number of years I was mixing on an Amek Recall RN and it had a great feature where one could bypass the LR master faders.  That meant that, when bypassed, any channel assigned to the Stereo master went straight to the Stereo master section of the matrix.  I would always bypass the Stereo faders when mixing on this console.  I never found it necessary to adjust the master faders.  
On the other hand it is sometimes useful to have a secondary fader for an output so you can run subs off of it rather than using an aux.  
Eric Snodgrass
No, really, I do this for a living.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 05:53:42 PM »

Jim Bowersox wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 15:34

They're not nutted?  My B.  They felt like they were.  They certainly didn't have the amount of "play" that I've experienced in my former FOH console.  

-JB

Nuts on pot shafts have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird due to labor costs. The early "nut-less" desks lived up to their name, but the pot manufacturers have developed better components since then that work well in the modern packaging approach.

While there are probably some high end products still using nuts, it may be as much an artifact of old technology components and resistance to change than any reliability benefit.

Likewise there was a comment in passing about use of plastic jacks... Any use of jack nuts for structural attachment/support is questionable design practice whether it's metal or plastic. The difference between good/bad mechanical design is not quite that easy to discern from casual inspection or assumptions based on components used. I recall in the past using metal nuts instead of plastic on a mixer because of so many customers who judge the book by it's cover. (FWIW the cost difference between metal and plastic nuts was a fraction of a cent per.)

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Fred Merkle

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 05:59:02 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 17:53

Likewise there was a comment in passing about use of plastic jacks... Any use of jack nuts for structural attachment/support is questionable design practice whether it's metal or plastic. The difference between good/bad mechanical design is not quite that easy to discern from casual inspection or assumptions based on components used. I recall in the past using metal nuts instead of plastic on a mixer because of so many customers who judge the book by it's cover. (FWIW the cost difference between metal and plastic nuts was a fraction of a cent per.)

What do you expect the jack to be supported by?  The PCB?  I think there's still very good reason for using nuts as physical attachment points to provide support.  Secondly, I also believe that in terms of shielding and immunity, having a metal jack and jack nut with properly masked chassis (or lock washer of sorts) is far superior to plastic jacks.   I'm especially concerned about it in this day and age of GSM.

I certainly agree with you though, that metal or plastic jacks provide very little insight into the quality of the overall mechanical design.  There are always price points and manufacturing constraints to deal with.

-Fred

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 06:15:37 PM »

Fred Merkle wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 17:59

Secondly, I also believe that in terms of shielding and immunity, having a metal jack and jack nut with properly masked chassis (or lock washer of sorts) is far superior to plastic jacks.   I'm especially concerned about it in this day and age of GSM.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what I'm talking about.

Wouldn't the chassis act as a faraday cage? It's certainly properly "grounded" to the signal reference... I'd think that incoming cables (which are outside) of the shield would be much more of a problem, but seeing as the whole design team was there with myself and a few other LABsters at SynAudCon Hums, Buzz, and RF I doubt you'll be able to get the console to have any sort of noise susceptibility.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Fred Merkle

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 06:35:46 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 18:15

Wouldn't the chassis act as a faraday cage?

Your faraday cage is only as good as the holes in it...

Quote:

It's certainly properly "grounded" to the signal reference... I'd think that incoming cables (which are outside) of the shield would be much more of a problem, but seeing as the whole design team was there with myself and a few other LABsters at SynAudCon Hums, Buzz, and RF I doubt you'll be able to get the console to have any sort of noise susceptibility.

That's easy enough to test out.  Do you have a GSM phone?  (preferably a Treo)  Set it on the console and call it.  See what happens when you move it around.

-Fred

Rick Stansby

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 06:39:25 PM »

Alexandre Richer wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 21:38

http://www.apbdynasonics.com/Downloads/Photos/SpectraPhoto1_ 300dpi.jpg

Does anybody know what that little hole is next to the line in jacks?  I think it is labeled "Ext In".
Rick

Brian Bolly

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »

Perfectly logical questions, John.

I can see where you might comment on the Biamp/Phonic look, but it's really not that bad.  I found the Midas Venice I just sold a lot more "offensive" to look at than this thing.  I think a lot of it has to do with the neutral color they picked for the chassis and the majority of the desk.  

The build quality is SOLID.  There is relatively no chassis flex whatsoever, and keep in mind we were moving it with no case.  As you may be able to see in Bennett's photo, the channel cards are set up very well.

As mentioned, the desk does have a built in tone generator and a built in TB mic.  It's good for times when your TB mic might be prone to theft (ie: installations), but I'm fine with my own mic externally.

The dual jacks for headphones on the front plus an add'l 1/4" on the back is helpful.

I was told that the faders are Panasonic faders (self-cleaning?) and are very smooth.

If I think of anything else I missed, I'll post it here.

John Petrucelli

• http://www.apb-dynasonics.com
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 06:55:30 PM »

We here at APB just saw the review- thanks.
I think this thread may end up in the new Road Test Forum, but we'll try to respond to any specific questions brought up by posters.

The single House Master fader DOES control all 4 of the main outputs of the Console: Left, Right, Center and Mono.
The L-R-C buses are used when in LCR mode, an additional Mono bus is provided for Sub feed (or anything else) if desired.
If you DO want independent control of one (or 2) of the main outputs, there are 2 Alternate Outputs that can be fed from any (or all) of the main outputs- either pre or post the Master fader. These Alt Outs have their own (rotary) level controls and (transformer) balanced XLR outputs.

Ref RTFM: We'll have the Owner's Manual up on our website soon along with some updated pix.

Thanks,
JP

BTW: My finger's not THAT small ...
John Petrucelli
APB-DynaSonics
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.