ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: APB Dynasonics Spectra-T - Show Report  (Read 199609 times)

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
Re: APB Dynasonics Spectra-T - Show Report
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 03:19:11 PM »

Thank you for the nice review, Jim & Brian.  Couple questions though..

How's the build quality?  Due to the lack of high-res pics, or ANY pics for that matter, for some reason the console has a Biamp/Phonic look to it.  Are the pots nutted?  Are the jacks plastic?

And is there built in pink noise or external pink/osc output?  With the amount of Smaart users nowadays, it's my opinion every mid-priced console should have built in pink noise with an external output.
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Grayson Rech

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 03:27:55 PM »

I just noticed that for the master outputs there is only one fader next to the 8th VCA.  Maybe I'm old school or just picky but does anyone else find it a but odd that there aren't 2 or 3 master (L R C) faders for a great console like this?  In my decision between Soundcraft MH2, Spectra-T  and AH GL4800 (no VCAs) It was my top choice until I noticed that . . .

Someone please give me a great reason or modivation to get past this unpleasantry.

blarn it blarn it blarn it Sad  Sad

Grayson  "the Sad hoobster" Rech
Close enuff for rock n' roll

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 03:29:44 PM »

John Horvath wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 14:19

Thank you for the nice review, Jim & Brian.  Couple questions though..

How's the build quality?  Due to the lack of high-res pics, or ANY pics for that matter, for some reason the console has a Biamp/Phonic look to it.  Are the pots nutted?  Are the jacks plastic?

And is there built in pink noise or external pink/osc output?  With the amount of Smaart users nowadays, it's my opinion every mid-priced console should have built in pink noise with an external output.

Wow? A "Biamp/Phonic look"... that's really cold dude. Laughing

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 03:46:41 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 14:29

Wow? A "Biamp/Phonic look"... that's really cold dude. Laughing

Well, doesn't it though?  I'm very excited about hearing this console, but only after Jim & Brian's reviews of it's sound quality.  The MH2/3 definitely win in the aestetic appeal and overall 'look of quality' category.  I guess the good thing is APB spent their time on building a great sounding console as opposed to a great looking console.
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 03:48:28 PM »

Grayson Rech wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 15:27

I just noticed that for the master outputs there is only one fader next to the 8th VCA.  Maybe I'm old school or just picky but does anyone else find it a but odd that there aren't 2 or 3 master (L R C) faders for a great console like this?  In my decision between Soundcraft MH2, Spectra-T  and AH GL4800 (no VCAs) It was my top choice until I noticed that . . .

Someone please give me a great reason or modivation to get past this unpleasantry.

blarn it blarn it blarn it Sad  Sad

Grayson  "the Sad hoobster" Rech
Why do you think it is important to have them? The only time I change a master output fader is at the end of the night when I shut down the console. If you are hitting the master bus too hard, pulling down the output fader will not change the fact that you are probably overloading the bus. That's what the input faders are for, and with VCAs it should be easy to control the inputs.

I'm amazed that on a console with a change in paradigm like no groups, only auxes, you find the lack of a master output fader as the deal breaker issue.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 04:13:31 PM »

John Horvath wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 14:46

Well, doesn't it though?  I'm very excited about hearing this console, but only after Jim & Brian's reviews of it's sound quality.  The MH2/3 definitely win in the aestetic appeal and overall 'look of quality' category.  I guess the good thing is APB spent their time on building a great sounding console as opposed to a great looking console.

Aesthetics are very subjective. I've been involved with a lot of designs over the years (some much worse than others Rolling Eyes  ). While I have personal opinions, I try not to be too judgemental about other people's cosmetic design calls. One can be pretty confident in evaluating technical performance, cosmetics are almost a fashion issue where good/bad is ultimately defined by the market response.  YMMV  

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Bill Eborn

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 04:15:47 PM »

It's the superior PCB layout that makes it work soooo well. It must have been Taz.

The Guy

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 04:21:14 PM »

Brian and I were just talking about how APB should consider some new photos for their website.  It looks somewhat less phonic-ish in real life than on their site.  It is fairly colorful, and believe it or not, two seperate girls took pictures of the mixer at the show.  I have to admit, I was surprised when I saw it in person.  It's a nice looking desk.

The console feels solid.  Probably slightly more so than Verona.  Pots are nutted, jacks are high quality, faders are nice (not uber-smooth P&G nice, but very good.)

As far as the 1 master fader, I've never run my L/R outputs at different levels.  I'd hardly consider this a dealbreaker.  Also, It has a tone generator, but not a pink generator with an external output as far as I saw.  

I'll jump in with Brian on this one, and agree that we were sold on a Yammi M7.....until this guy came around!

-JB

P.S.  That guy in the picture should be a hand model! Very Happy

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 04:27:28 PM »

Grayson Rech wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 15:27

I just noticed that for the master outputs there is only one fader next to the 8th VCA.

Of course... otherwise you'd be changing your levels (and maybe crosspoints) between parts of your speaker system (L,C,R and Sub, potentially) whenever you adjusted it. A properly put together PA shouldn't have that happen to it.

For those of you asking for photos... here's one of the internal construction. I've got more, but I want to save them for my review. The reason there are two layers of PCB is a) rigidity and b) so they can route audio in three planes, thereby having as many audio paths cross at 90-degree angles as possible, thereby reducing noise and interference. In this photo that's the preamp module closest to you, fader furthest away. All parts are field-replaceable with a screwdriver, especially the fader.

index.php/fa/4837/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 04:30:50 PM »

Jim Bowersox wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 16:21

Pots are nutted

No they aren't! They're solidly constructed, though. You'd have to be throwing some real weight at the console to break one.

I also like the color scheme/layout/size of the console... High-contrast, everything's easy to see, important things are bright, less important things get out of your way.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.