ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More help with console  (Read 1572 times)

Nathan Vanderslice

More help with console
« on: May 21, 2006, 02:16:14 PM »

Okay, here's the problem. I bought a Ramsa WR S4416 console used and am "in love" with the versatility of it. I already have one of Ramsa's earlier consoles (WR S208) so I'm familiar with the quality of their products, one of the other reasons I chose to purchase this one.

Current problem(s):
*Have lost headphone signal with no other work done. Yesterday, there was alot of noise while turning the pot (as if dirty). Unfortunately, I did not try it today before spraying a fast drying electronics cleaner into the pot through the space between shaft and housing. I am hearing some static at the very high end which suggests that the headphone amp is working, and according to the meters, I am getting a good signal to all four groups and the mains. It should be mentioned that the headphone circuit was working until today.

*PFL not working well if at all. Symptoms are as follows:
Loud click when pressing or releasing any one button, but none when any additional PFL buttons are pressed.
>No sound from PFL unless adjustment made on either the input fader, or any of the output faders (all on). Sound very distorted and choppy, don't know whether it is in the amp (wrong impedance for phones) or something else.

*One bad connector on ribbon cable. This from having intermittent signal on group #2. I disconnected all of the connectors from I1 to G3, and put the G1 connector on to G2 board. Then I took the I1 connector (on cable) and connected it to the channel I had been using. At this point G2 worked just fine. I surmise that there is something wrong with the G2 connector on the cable. Any ideas on how to fix this without having to replace the whole cable ($150)? Will be glad to e-mail schematics (service manual) to anyone who needs it to help. Thanks.  Smile

(I = input, G = group)

Tim McCulloch

Re: More help with console
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 05:58:34 PM »

Nathan Vanderslice wrote on Sun, 21 May 2006 13:16

Current problem(s):
*Have lost headphone signal with no other work done. Yesterday, there was alot of noise while turning the pot (as if dirty). Unfortunately, I did not try it today before spraying a fast drying electronics cleaner into the pot through the space between shaft and housing. I am hearing some static at the very high end which suggests that the headphone amp is working, and according to the meters, I am getting a good signal to all four groups and the mains. It should be mentioned that the headphone circuit was working until today.

Nathan-

Congratulations.  You washed all the viscous damping material down into the conductive part of the pot.  It will have to be replaced.  NEVER spray solvents down the shaft of a rotary potentiometer.  The part that is dirty cant be cleaned from the top, and all you can manage to do is flush crap further down into the wiper.

Spray cleaners can finish killing off more 'not quite dead' controls than anything else.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Nathan Vanderslice

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »

It's me again. Taking Tim McCulloch's advice, I took the VR2 pot out, took it apart, and cleaned the wiper and resistive surfaces (cleaner only) and re-assembled component. I still have no signal from the system except for the PFL which is now working. If I remember correctly, the VR2 pot (for the phones) does affect the PFL volume, but there is still no signal otherwise, however the meters on groups and mains all show a signal going through. Please look at two possibilities, that the VR2 pot (for the phones) either does, or does not affect the PFL volume, and what to look for in the two scenarios. I have not ruled out the possibility that the pot has gone bad, and will look into the poosibility of "borrowing" another pot from another board, or switching out the two on a known working circuit. The forum apparently does not allow uploading of PDF files, so if you think you can help, I will be glad to e-mail you the PDF file with the service manual. Thanks.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 07:00:34 PM »

Nathan Vanderslice wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 17:43

It's me again. Taking Tim McCulloch's advice, I took the VR2 pot out, took it apart, and cleaned the wiper and resistive surfaces (cleaner only) and re-assembled component. I still have no signal from the system except for the PFL which is now working. If I remember correctly, the VR2 pot (for the phones) does affect the PFL volume, but there is still no signal otherwise, however the meters on groups and mains all show a signal going through. Please look at two possibilities, that the VR2 pot (for the phones) either does, or does not affect the PFL volume, and what to look for in the two scenarios. I have not ruled out the possibility that the pot has gone bad, and will look into the poosibility of "borrowing" another pot from another board, or switching out the two on a known working circuit. The forum apparently does not allow uploading of PDF files, so if you think you can help, I will be glad to e-mail you the PDF file with the service manual. Thanks.

I don't recall anybody suggesting you take the pot apart, but that horse is out of the barn.

You can troubleshoot the pot when it is out of the PCB with a simple ohm meter. There are typically 3 leads, the two outer leads will measure a constant resistance (maybe 10k ohm), the middle lead, assuming it's the wiper will vary in resistance as you turn it. At one extreme it will read a short to one of the two outer leads and full resistance to the other, at the other extreme it will be reversed and a short to the opposite lead. Since the wiper is literally a contact that sweeps across a conductive element, dirt or bad physical contact can cause bad operation. Sometimes the conductive ink that makes the resistance element can be cracked or literally worn away.  

I've seen lots of ways for pots to fail, and customers taking them apart would be on that list. Good luck.

JR

https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 15 queries.