ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1.4" Horn  (Read 4251 times)

Raj Sookraj

1.4" Horn
« on: May 16, 2006, 08:00:51 PM »

I have a Radian 745 1.4" throat compression driver and i'm looking for a reasonable priced horn for it that goes down to 800hz.  The only thing I can find is a DDS horn which is $180!  Can a horn be custom made with wood or fiberglass for this driver?  If so, how would I go about doing that?  Thanks for your help.

Raj

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
Re: 1.4" Horn
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 10:59:38 PM »

The B&C ME90 is a 1.4" throat horn. They list it as having good loading down to 900Hz. These are under $100 US. BCspeakers.com
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Ivan Beaver

Re: 1.4" Horn-3 questions
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:20:58 PM »

There are 3 questions when you say you want it to go down to 800Hz.  Is that the freq you want it to reproduce?  I assume so.

Do you want it to have pattern control down to 800Hz or does it matter if the pattern flips all around?  If you want pattern control, it may need to be a fairly large horn-depending on the pattern you want.

What pattern do you want/desire?.  Remember that the narrower a pattern is, the larger the horn has to be to maintain control (inverse proportions).
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Raj Sookraj

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 02:23:09 PM »

Pattern control is not desired.  I only have one Radian 745 which I will use to test before I buy more.  I'm trying to acheive max spl (at least 110db/1w) with this driver from 800-5000 hz.  I have not found any 1.4" horns on ebay.  I don't think I want to spend $250 for the driver and $100 more for a horn.  My other option is a horn loaded Eminence Alpha8MR which i'm hoping to do around 105db/1w from 500-1600hz.

Raj

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 02:51:16 PM »

raj sookraj wrote on Wed, 17 May 2006 14:23

Pattern control is not desired.
???      Shocked  

Do you understand the implications of what you are saying here?

Mac

Iain_Macdonald

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 03:35:50 PM »

Raj,

Exactly what are you trying to achieve/build?

You don't say whether you want this for music use or environmental studies. So assuming it is music. $100 retail is a fair price for a horn. Most of the major driver manufacturers do horns. But first of all you need to think about what sort of system you are going to build. You're first post indicates a two way, then you switch to three way. Also you need to consider what dispersion you require, both vertical and horizontal. Consider that the mid and HF patterns should match. Have a look at/listen to some off the shelf boxes like EAW, JBL, EV Community etc, and that might help your decision. You also need to consider the size of your audience. I know you said pattern control is not required, but if you are going to use more than 1 box then you have to consider it. A 120 deg horn in a box will be fine for 100 people, but that won't array properly with more boxes if you are trying to cover 500 people. Interference between horns will sound awful. The Alpha 8MR might be a little lacking in power for your volume requirements. Go up the range a little. I think P Audio do some low cost horns in the USA, so that might help. If you think you might have missed some horn manufacturers look at "Kens Links" in the PSW resources to the left of this page.

Now for the build it yourself approach. Horn design has had the reputation of being something that requires a bit of hocus pocus. So nobody will give away their secrets. The nearest you will get, is the Earl Geddes AES papers on waveguides. Have a look at his website. The Hi Fi obsessives always use wood. So if you have access to or have the skills, then wood is OK.

Iain

http://www.gedlee.com/

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:48:14 AM »

I doubt that you'll find many 1.4" horns for under $100. An alternative would be an adaptor from 1.4 to 2"; check Martin Sound Products, among others.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.