Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TT24  (Read 57780 times)

John Boudreau

Re: Road Test
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2006, 03:50:31 PM »

Thanks Mac,

Yes, the umx is specified to have offline editing.  

I must comment that although i spent a significant part of my last couple years defining the feature set and user interface of the umx.96 it has been officially passed on to my friends at EAW.

They will lead the continued development of that product.  This makes good sense, as they can evolve the mixer to suit the strategic plans for EAW electronics and ensure it fits the bigger picture.

I will gladly provide my console and digital audio knowledge to them, but in the long run it is the professional users of digital mixers and large loudspeaker systems that will be tapped to ensure that EAW mixing/processing products become closely coupled with EAW loudspeaker systems

jbou

John Boudreau

Re: TT24
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 04:10:38 PM »

Hello Mike,

I've got Gil busy with lots o' stuff these days so you may not see him comment for a few weeks.  In the meantime, i'll have to do my best.

This is a really great idea. One of the goals of the TT was to offer a powerful digital product to the live sound applications at a price that would make a historically analog guy rub your chin and think seriously about making the change to digital.  It seems only fair that we should reach out with some educational tools to help make that decision even easier.  I'll give it a try to make a project like this happen with our marketing group but it could be a while.  

In the mean time, some of the books i have use to educate myself are:
Priciples of digital audio (my fav for nuts and bolts of digital audio - very much a college style text book)
Digital Audio Dictionary is also simple

Unless one of the other manufacturers has done it, I don't think there exists a simple guide to digital mixing in the live sound environment.  Any other topics you'd want to know about?
1. digital audio formats and connectivity
2. latency - how much is too much and how do you compensate for it
3. clocking multiple digital devices together so that the system doesn't create random clicks and pops!  Always a favorite amongst the live sound community.
Currently we have the software app available for download and an awful video instructional on the mixer's operational features.  

Before i forget I would like to say that a TT24 out of the box with no expansion options require no digital knowledge of this kind.  Just connect the analog ins and outs and start mixing.

jbou

Mike Babcock

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 12:40:10 AM »

http://www.soundcraft.com/download.asp?filename=pdf/palz/gui de_to_digitial_mixing_brochure.pdf

Not taking anything away from Mackie, but Soundcraft has a guide to digital mixing. It has some good basic info in it. Found at the link above and also by perusing the Study Hall.
http://www.themonitorguy.com/venue
Now with over 1000 venues!!!!!

Mike Yates

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/8431124@N05/sets/72157606357968527/
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 03:55:28 AM »

Man...I gotta be careful hangin around here, I might learn something and break my reputation! Thanks John, Mike.  John, I appreciate Mackie considering an online virtual digital mixing experience.  Eventhough this concept may not materialize in the short term, perhaps it could be used for education in the future.  I'll check out the books.  

Mike, Study Hall is excellent, and will aid my instruction.

Craig Montgomery

• http://www.thetripledoor.net
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 06:24:47 PM »

Mike-

Control software for the TT24 and all the Yamaha consoles are available as free downloads.  That's a great way to kick the tires.

Will all the digi surfaces, what you're really doing is running software.  I've found that if you get your head inside the software, nothing on the surface is difficult.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
So....
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2006, 11:06:58 AM »

OK, we've been through another weekend, is there any further discussion of the TT24? Is the test still going? If not does Steve have any final thoughts on how it all went, and what really slick or really sick features jumped out at him?

Mac

Rodd Lowell

Re: So....
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2006, 02:39:23 PM »

Mac,

Thanks for putting into words what I have been thinking for a few days!!!

I too hope there is more to come!

Rodd

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
TT24 group DSP prob
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Tue, 16 May 2006 08:06

OK, we've been through another weekend, is there any further discussion of the TT24? Is the test still going? If not does Steve have any final thoughts on how it all went, and what really slick or really sick features jumped out at him?

Mac

I, too, would love to hear more from Steve.

Right now I'm at one of my bigger corporate gigs with a TT24 linked to external preamps and it's jammed full of inputs. I'm using 53 inputs on the 48-channel setup! (Remember there are 8 line level TRS inputs for 'free'...) I'm also using every single output on the thing with the client looking for one more--a one-time mix minus monitor speaker that a thirteenth Aux would be perfect for. Guess I'll be hard-patching something at a coffee break.

One head-scratcher I've run into this time that hasn't been a problem before is that Flex-Group DSP assignment is stopping my subgroup audio from getting to the matrixes. The routing is extremely complicated this time around--maybe there's some path-length difference involved somewhere. If so, I can't find it by mentally tracing the routing. Or maybe there's some conflict between my turning subgroups 6, 7 and 8 into stereo groups while keeping the first five groups mono. None of the groups have any DSP assigned at this point which leaves all 8 blocks of subgroup DSP available. I can assign DSP at will but if engaged it stops audio from getting to the matrixes. I could go through and mess with my programming to try and narrow down the reason but I don't want to bollix the show. Maybe later I'll save what I've got in another snapshot and then start un-assigning things... We'll see. This show is a bruiser in terms of hours and I may opt to collapse at the hotel tonight.  Confused

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Dave Stevens

Re: TT24 group DSP prob
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 08:24:24 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Tue, 16 May 2006 13:30

[I, too, would love to hear more from Steve.

I'd like to hear more from Steve as well.  He might not be able to answer what's happening with your app but I'll ping the the mothership and see if they can't have John Boy or another Mackiod stop in and see what's up with your surface.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: TT24 group DSP prob
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 09:58:40 PM »

Dave, I can't imagine why the prob would be in this particular surface--I just don't know how individual these sorts of problems can be in a digital mixer. I was thinking the problem could be replicated with any TT24 if the tester sets up as ridiculously complex a show as I did. For instance, I routed 12 mics to 8 Auxes so that they could be automixed by an analog Shure 8x1. The single automixed return goes two places: Through an external 12-filter digital EQ (with 1.38ms of latency) back into Line Input 1 which is assigned to Subgroup 1 and fed to matrixes where the PA is. The automixer is also wyed straight to Line Input 2 without added latency (as compared to Line Input 1) where it's routed to L+R for record and also to a few IEM and backstage stage monitor feeds on Auxes 9-10-12. This is the part I've been examining like crazy since it's the most obvious place where I introduce potential path length problems. Nothing on the shorter path length Line Input 2 goes to any subgroup or any matrix; just to L+R and some other Auxes. Nothing from L+R or any Aux goes to any matrix. No routing on mics 1-12 except their Aux 1-8 assignments (four of the auxes have two mics each.) Yet the surface stops audio from getting to the matrixes if I assign Subgroup 1 a bit o' DSP.

Couldn't find the magic button last night or today.

Well, boys, it's off to one of the local Brit-theme pubs with the A2s for an elbow-bending session. This mystery's going to remain a head-scratcher for me. Probably won't have a chance to replicate it again.  Confused

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.