Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TT24  (Read 57764 times)

Rodd Lowell

Re: Road Test
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 11:02:30 AM »

Steve Beatty wrote on Thu, 04 May 2006 06:47

I have a track or two from the show that the band would like to release - would everyone like to hear them?

Sure!

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: ROAD TEST
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 11:14:04 AM »

Quote:

...You mention the software. have you used Yamaha's Studio Manager? And if so, how does it compare to the Mackie software? I don't think Mackie had the software available when Bink did his review, but I could be wrong...

Every show I've done on a TT24 included having my laptop there with the TT Control Application. The difference between it and Yamaha's Studio Manager? They both do the job nicely but they're laid out differently. I wouldn't say one control app is better than the other. They each follow the character of their mixer architecture. For instance, there are no matrix master on/off or mute switches on the TT Control App simply because there are none on the surface.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

John Boudreau

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 01:08:00 AM »

Gil is not available and I just finally caught up on this post after all that has "gone down" this week.

So i'll simply answer the questions posed.  Channel naming will not be available until the next major upgrade.  We just released a big bug fix build two weeks ago and the next build will support the new 32x32 snake box and Lake processor card.  so your looking at fall/winter for new base feature upgrades but naming is near the top of the list.

off line editing will unfortunately not be available for the tt control app.  it would require a major core code redesign.  Sorry.

thx - i'll keep better tabs on this road test now that i know where it is
johnb

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 09:19:33 AM »

John Boudreau wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 01:08

off line editing will unfortunately not be available for the tt control app.  it would require a major core code redesign.  Sorry.
John, I hope you know now what a big deal the offline editing is, and have made it possible on the umx.96.  Cool

Keep up the good work.

Mac

Dave Stevens

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 12:26:51 AM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 06:19

John, I hope you know now what a big deal the offline editing is, and have made it possible on the umx.96.

Potentially offline editing could be good but I haven't really seen an implementation on any surface that for me isn't better than spending an extra little bit with a surface and a computer at the gig or in the shop rather than on a plane or a bus somewhere.

It's particularly problematic when I'm doing fly dates or festivals and coming into a surface with a one off situation an my libs and settings may or may not be compatable with what's happening at the gig. Sure that can be advanced, planned for and hopefully all will work out but I can do some pretty deep configs with a surface alone in less time than it will take to plan to integrate whatever config I edit offline or have on my key.

I think the key to this is being able to be as portable and as granular as possible when dealing with the different libs.  If I'm coming into a one off and it's just me, I can wipe the desk with my config and it's not a big deal.  However, if I have to integrate it into something like a master festival config or a house config that has other things happening that I can't displace or disturb, it's another story.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Mike Yates

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/8431124@N05/sets/72157606357968527/
Re: TT24
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006, 06:11:28 AM »

Mr Perales,

This may be a bit off topic and please forgive and forum moderator please feel free to move me if it is but, I am considering switching from analog to digital mixing and the TT24 is one of the consoles I have narrowed my search towards purchasing.  Frankly, terms and concepts such as latency, clocking, light pipe, and other tech talk associated with digital sound processing is intimidating to me. It would not seem so daunting if I understood the terminology and concepts.  Is there some type of resource material such as a DVD or book like "Digital Sound Reinforcement For Dummies"? Does Mackie have a resource available that explains these terms and concepts in ways that a digital novice could understand.  I would not think I am the only analog user with these perceptions.  

Also has Mackie considered setting up some type of online interactive user interface to digital equipment such as the TT24. Doing so might alleviate apprehensions analog users have about going digital if they were able to go online and experience digital reinforcement using interface software in real time.  Maybe set up a virtual live performance and let the user see and hear what happens as they navigate different layers and make adjustments using the capabilities of the equipment...I would pay for such a venue just so I could experience what digital mixing is all about.  I don't know if this would be possible or cost effective, just a thought.
Mike

Mike Babcock

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 08:28:02 PM »

Keeping with the spirit of the road test. I have a few real world questions that I couldn't discern while perusing the manual.

1A. When using linked auxes (stereo, exactly like an in-ear mix) are the headphone and monitor outputs also in stereo while soloing linked aux outputs?

1B. Does either the headphone or monitor output turn to mono in PFL mode as opposed to AFL mode while soloing a linked aux output?

2. Has anyone had a chance to do a side by side comparison to other surfaces with similar features? DM1000, 01V96 perhaps, etc. Even though perception of quality is very subjective to each person. I would like to hear positives and negatives of this surface compared to other surfaces and why. Items of big interest to me is audio quality, noise floor, ease of operation, logical location of buttons and features (do you naturally reach for a feature and realise it's not there?), quality of on board effects compared to that of competitors, etc.

Thanks in advance to whoever has this console currently.
Mike
http://www.themonitorguy.com/venue
Now with over 1000 venues!!!!!

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: TT24: monitor out in stereo for linked auxes?
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 09:07:16 PM »

I'm pretty sure I'm mixing on a TT24 again next next week. I'll try and look at your 1A and 1B questions.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Steve Beatty

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 03:08:54 AM »

Mike-

First your Question #2:

I have owned Yamaha o1v's for years, using them for three primary functions.

1. Sidecar FX mixers on large-input shows.
2. When touring with a small opening act.
3. As a live recording console. Taking something like group feeds from my FOH console, and then being able to delay my board feeds to my FOH audience mics, using the individual channel delays found on the o1v's has always worked great for me.
( The TT24 does NOT have individual channel delays, and this is an essential function for me and my company. )

When comparing the o1v and the TT24, here's some of the observations I made.

- The TT24's pre-amps sounded better. No question.
- The overview window on the TT24 was far more comprehensive, and I liked the layout much better than the o1v's.
- The dynamics processing on the TT24 was more effective than the rather severe settings I have gone with on the o1v at times.
- The click and drag features and graphic visuals on the equalizers and dynamic processors on the TT24's software were extra quick, and effective.
- While many people are familar with the SPX effects engines found on o1v's, I was able to edit the TT24's to precisely what I wanted - I was happy with their quality as well.
- Obviously, a touch screen on the TT24.

I have owned o1v's since the first model ( 1998 ), so my ability to navigate and relay an objective opinion on " Logical Layout " of buttons and features is skewed. Fellow engineers say I know the console in Braille. Cool I did have initial difficulty with the Mackie, but that curve is rapidly straightening out.

Now Question One: PFL was mono, but you could solo each side of the linked auxes, not just the left.

AFL was indeed stereo.

Overall, I do like the TT24 better than the DM1000 or the o1v, primarily because of the pre-amps. One could always get a rack of nicer pre-amps and lightpipe your way into a Yamaha to overcome, and still maintain the smaller footprint.

I have always loved my o1v's for exactly the usage I described above, but as soon as the TT24 will allow me to delay individual channels I will probably switch over, but won't decide until I take the TT24 on it's big upcoming ROAD TEST assignment - the Joshua Tree Music Festival, May 19-21.

Kevin Maxwell AKA TheMAXX

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 01:24:36 PM »

Steve Beatty wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 03:08

Mike-

First your Question #2:

I have owned Yamaha o1v's for years, using them for three primary functions.

Are you referring to the 01V96 or its predecessor? Is the expansion board for the Mackie readily available yet?
Kevin Maxwell
Freelance Audio Eng. QBE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.