Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TT24  (Read 57771 times)

the other Mike Russell

Re: TT24 (my own little 'road test')
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2006, 01:07:51 PM »

Out of the blue I received a call to go help a local Church whos regular guy was unavailable for some reason. Just a pure friend-of-a-friend kind of deal, walk in and help them get their (totally unknown to me) system up and running. I was quite surprised to see a TT24 sitting there when I arrived! Very timely given the fact that I've been working with my trusty 01V96 in the home project studio thinking it might be time to take it out in place of the small-gig Mixwiz/Process rack based on some of the recent posts on the LAB, try some wireless StudioManager control, etc.

Anyway, so there I am having never touched a TT24 before, needing to get a small 'christian rock band' up and running plus a few extra mics for the rest of the church service. Overall, the unit was relatively straightforward to navigate. Didn't spend enough time with it to really say it was 'easier' than the Yamaha, but a first impression might seem that way.

A couple of nit-picky annoyances came up that perhaps aren't even a real issue if I had the time (and manual) to actually learn the thing.  However, in no particular order:

1) HPF via V-Pot - no display of what the HPF freq. actually is?

2) Using the "matrix of knobs" to set EQ (especially) or AUX send levels... painfully time consuming to tweak the knobs just right to get the value you want... I like the turn faster=go faster mentality, but versus an analog situation where I know what a twist of the knob from X to Y gets me, twisting and tweaking to get a value, listen, re-adjust, just seemed to take way longer than it should have.  Also, way too much time spent turning Aux sends from Zero to Useful... either I want zero, or I want to start at maybe -18 dB... takes a while to dial it up that far...

Cool stuff.. channel dynamics... the FAT channel overview... meter-bridge functionality for channel input levels...  analog preamp trim for quick adjustments...   would like to have seen the computer control interface and had the manual to learn more about assigning groups, patching processing, etc.

So that's my penny's worth after a couple of hours of being thrown into the frying pan with a TT24. I wouldn't refuse one if provided...    if I didn't already own an 01V96 and it was available in a next-model-down version for half the price, I'd likely buy it.     For now, I'll learn surfaces with the Yamaha and then perhaps pursue the TT24 (or M7cl) as a future Venice/Verona replacement...

John Boudreau

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2006, 03:59:10 PM »

That is timely,
Hello Mike,

I'll just quickly address the not-so-nit-picky stuff you pointed out.

The variable HPF frequency value is a tiny numeric display in the EQ LCD screen.  couldn't get it on the fat channel display so that was the compromise.

knob velocity - we added a user setting to adjust the velocity from slow to fast.  there are six settings.  Fast is analog equivalent, which is what your looking for.  I think we may make that the default on the next build since it has been a regular complaint of the UI.  In the slow mode, you can spin the knob quickly for large changes and when you slow down the turning speed you get 0.1 step accuracy.  It's great for all of us who want to get 8.3dB of gain on an aux master (exactly!)  Honestly, it was an argument I've had with engineering for a long time.  The engineers like the precision of the velocity approach.   and folks like you want it to feel like an analog EQ.  the compromise was to add the user adjustment.

Thanks
johnboudreau

the other Mike Russell

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2006, 08:12:33 PM »

Thanks John, good to know.  I should have guessed there was a way to make the knobs behave in a more "analog" format - but definitely support your quest to make that the default behavior!

HPF seems a little more tricky - I must have missed the tiny number changing... OR do you mean that not only would you have to hit the V-POT HPF button, but also hit both SELECT and EQ for the channel in question? Why couldn't the display shift to that mode when you begin making that adjustment?

PS: and I'd welcome a TT16 model - rackmount - that sells for around $2k   Wink

John Boudreau wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 15:59

That is timely,
Hello Mike,

I'll just quickly address the not-so-nit-picky stuff you pointed out.

The variable HPF frequency value is a tiny numeric display in the EQ LCD screen.  couldn't get it on the fat channel display so that was the compromise.

knob velocity - we added a user setting to adjust the velocity from slow to fast.  there are six settings.  Fast is analog equivalent, which is what your looking for.  I think we may make that the default on the next build since it has been a regular complaint of the UI.  In the slow mode, you can spin the knob quickly for large changes and when you slow down the turning speed you get 0.1 step accuracy.  It's great for all of us who want to get 8.3dB of gain on an aux master (exactly!)  Honestly, it was an argument I've had with engineering for a long time.  The engineers like the precision of the velocity approach.   and folks like you want it to feel like an analog EQ.  the compromise was to add the user adjustment.

Thanks
johnboudreau

Rodd Lowell

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2006, 10:03:14 AM »

the other Mike Russell wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 01:12

HPF seems a little more tricky - I must have missed the tiny number changing... OR do you mean that not only would you have to hit the V-POT HPF button, but also hit both SELECT and EQ for the channel in question? Why couldn't the display shift to that mode when you begin making that adjustment?

Push the SELECT button on the channel you want to adjust the HPF on, Push the EQ button in the "Quick Mix" section (just below the LCD screen), make sure the HPF button is pressed on the VPOT CONTROL section.  Look on the left side of the LCD screen where it says HPF FREQ, twist the channel's VPOT and watch the frequency change on the LCD screen.

I think that is what you were asking.  If not, sorry about that.

Rodd

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Knob velocity
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2006, 02:49:07 AM »

John Boudreau wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 12:59

...knob velocity - we added a user setting to adjust the velocity from slow to fast.  there are six settings.  Fast is analog equivalent, which is what your looking for.  I think we may make that the default on the next build since it has been a regular complaint of the UI.  In the slow mode, you can spin the knob quickly for large changes and when you slow down the turning speed you get 0.1 step accuracy.  It's great for all of us who want to get 8.3dB of gain on an aux master (exactly!)  Honestly, it was an argument I've had with engineering for a long time.  The engineers like the precision of the velocity approach.   and folks like you want it to feel like an analog EQ.  the compromise was to add the user adjustment.

Thanks
johnboudreau

For the record, I can't stand the FAST setting since it doesn't allow precise selection of EQ centers. I might be completely alone in this but, hey, it's the way I work. I like my EQ centers to sit right on top of the EQ problem I've identified via SmaartLive or other super-accurate RTA.

My gig today used a TT24--just for grins I selected FAST for knob velocity in order to revisit the issue and report here.

When you give a big ol' spin to the EQ frequency knob in FAST mode you get a fast climb from 20Hz to about 2.66 kHz or thereabouts, depending on how much you twist the knob. If you slow down to individual ticks on the knob you find that each tick is equal to about 1/2.5 octaves, more or less. That is, there are two or three ticks per octave and the concept of octave doesn't appear to determine results. You are NOT able to zero in on a specific Hz in FAST mode. The mode is definitely meant for new user friendliness, not expert skilled usage. That said, I'm only happy working the EQ knobs with an associated laptop running the remote control app since the knob velocity algorithm still hasn't nailed "what I want" versus "what my fingers are doing."

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Steve Beatty

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2006, 04:07:49 AM »

If you have the ability to hook your TT24 up to a laptop, the OVERVIEW screen on each channel displays all master settings, including the HPF, in bright colors. This color screen was one of the most appealing features I found with the console, and once I had my laptop going, I rarely used the built-in grayscale screen on the console except for touch functions.

Try it - the overview makes using the console and getting precise settings on eq's and dynamics much easier.

Also, I too found that knob velocity HAD to be set at the fastest setting to achieve the rapid changes necessary in live settings. Every other setting seemed to have " hiccups " in it's delivery of the desired setting or function.

Rodd Lowell

Re: Knob velocity
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2006, 09:17:12 AM »

Bink,

This is a little off topic, but I was wondering if you use the gates built in to the TT24.  I know you were having some issues with them in the past, mainly the clicking noise when the gate opened.  I experienced the same thing this past weekend and made an adjustment to the Attack and thinks seemed to get better.

I was just curious if you found a solution to the problem or if you are just using some other gates.

Thanks for your time,

Rodd

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Gates
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2006, 09:37:07 AM »

Rodd Lowell wrote on Wed, 24 May 2006 06:17

...I was wondering if you use the gates built in to the TT24.  I know you were having some issues with them in the past, mainly the clicking noise when the gate opened.  I experienced the same thing this past weekend and made an adjustment to the Attack and thinks seemed to get better.

Your solution is also mine--play with the Attack to make the gate sound good. I'm gating just a few things on these last two corpie gigs: "Voice Of God" mic gets gated as do laptop sound sources. I find the Noise Suppression system's -70 dB global noise gate is sufficient for everything else. No drums on the last few TT24 gigs of mine.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

John Boudreau

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2006, 06:09:15 PM »

Howdy,
yup, you need to select the channel and he EQ screen. Definitely a compromised situation for that function.  That particular screen is HTML driven so we can't have a window pop up that contains dynamic data. sorry...

rack mount, huh?
I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  If it were in a rack would you accept an even smaller screen?
thx
jbou

the other Mike Russell

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2006, 09:12:38 PM »

With respect to screen size, so far, I'm finding the 01V96 to be quite usable, for what it's worth...   Wink  

And - like most others around these parts it seems - I'd plan on using a laptop running the "good" interface whenever possible...

John Boudreau wrote on Wed, 24 May 2006 18:09

Howdy,
yup, you need to select the channel and he EQ screen. Definitely a compromised situation for that function.  That particular screen is HTML driven so we can't have a window pop up that contains dynamic data. sorry...

rack mount, huh?
I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  If it were in a rack would you accept an even smaller screen?
thx
jbou

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.